Arizona EMS jobs

EMT13-1

Forum Ride Along
What is the job market for EMS/EMT-B in Arizona, And what certifications do you need. Do they accept WA state certifications. What is the most likely area to secure a position.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Nothing.

But seriously.... for just EMT's, assuming you're talking about Metro Phoenix area, you'll have to try PMT (pmtambulance.com) or Southwest (swambulance.com). Phoenix Fire is on a hiring freeze, as are most departments. That's about it for pre-hospital care. Jobs for the ER are also hard to come by. My company, Banner Health, is on a hiring freeze as well. There are a ton of hospitals here in the valley and they're each different regarding hiring. The one thing you'll see consitently is EXPERIENCE REQUIRED. Took me a year to get my job, and I worked in Food Service for 6 mo's just to transfer to the ER. It finally paid off, but even then, I really had to fight just for an interview.

Best of luck to ya!

Jeremy

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
man, alot of people interested in moving to arizona, i dont blame yall, beautiful state, i miss very much...

you should probably use the search function, there are two other threads about EMS in AZ...

anyways, as everybody knows i am in the navy currently but was born and raised in tucson, az for 18 years... even lived in the same house the entire time... in terms of finding the most secure job position, i would say a fire department, but in pretty much all big city fire departments in AZ you have to be a FF as well. it kinda also depends if you are a basic, or paramedic... naturally you will have more secure job as a paramedic then a basic... working for a private CO. isnt the most secure job, but you can make it secure... there a plenty of opportunities as a paramedic to work in the ER at any of the hospitals, most hospitals in AZ utilize paramedics in the ER and they realize that they are essential to the PT care process in the ED... i would imagine they would accept WA cert, i believe they both utilize NREMT, so you shouldn't have a problem, i didn't have a problem with reciprocity when i wanted to have NY cert...

im sorry i didnt realize you were an EMT-b,

i would suggest you get your EMT-P because you will have much more luck, retention, and pay with being a paramedic in AZ... you dont need to have any special certifications to work as EMT-B in arizona, so dont worry about that... i would say the best opportunities in AZ would probably be in or near the capital of phoenix, phoenix is surrounded by gilbert, scottsdale, tempe, glendale, mesa, and several other cities, all with their own fire dept. so you will have lots of opportunities to find a job as a EMT-B... but dont expect to be doing a whole lot of 911 calls... as for tucson, dont go there if your just a basic... you can also consider the rural areas of AZ there are alot...

sorry, my post was a little jumbled up... i have had a long day..

greg

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
the poster above me is right, my information all comes from before i left for the navy... so we didn't have the whole financial crisis, when i left... in the end, AZ is probably not the greatest place to work in EMS... but dont stop looking yet... i just saw last week that southwest ambo, wanted some EMT-Bs as well as rural/metro, i think they wanted like 20 or so. you might have an opportunity but the pay is gonna suck, GET YOUR EMT-P!!!!