Antifreeze poisonings

gradygirl

TROUBLE
A man I know just tried to commit suicide by drinking an unknown quantity of antifreeze. He, as of this moment, is still alive. Has anyone ever dealt with this stuff before?

Last edited by a moderator:

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
TCERT1987 said:
A man I know just tried to commit suicide by drinking an unknown quantity of antifreeze. He, as of this moment, is still alive. Has anyone ever dealt with this stuff before?

I have never had one personally. The antidote is supposed to be grain alcohol....everclear etc.

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
My partner has responded to a call exactly of that nature. I'll ask him about it tomorrow when I see him.:blush:

Best of luck on the recovery.

PS: His pt lived.

disassociative

Forum Captain

Take a look here:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20020901/807.html

I hope this helps. Best of Luck to you and your friend. If you need any explainations of the clinical
data therein; I would be more than happy to assist. If I can't help; I am sure there is a qualified medic here that can, and if not; one of us can find someone.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
gradygirl

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Thanks all. As of yet, he's in the hospital, but I haven't heard anything more about his condition. It also turns out he had some pretty intense mental problems, i.e. he blew up his house a few days before he tried to commit suidice. So everything is on the edge of a knife right now.