Angel Flights

Simusid

Forum Captain
I have a non-EMS friend who is an Angel Flight pilot. He flies patients to/from appointments a couple of times a week. I think his patients are mostly chronic "sick" people, not critical. It sounds like most of them are cancer patients who need to go a long distance to a large hospital for care. He services Boston mostly.

He's asked me several times to go with him, and has also suggested several times that if I was a paramedic it would be even better. I can't seem to get through to him the concept of "scope of practice". I also said that I would have no medical director, he didn't seem to get that either.

Does anyone know any EMS details about angel flights? What would a basic do in flight besides take vitals? I'm guessing pretty much nothing.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Serve soda and peanuts? At least that's what I do :)

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I presume you could only come along as an observer for the day. A ride a long if you will...

I imagine you are not permitted to make any form of patient care.

Free helicopter tour? I'm in.

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
If you are referring to Angel Flight the all volunteer service and not Angel Medflight, then you would only be a passenger.

These planes are not equipped for medical situations and are donated by the owners and the pilots who also donate their time to provide transportation for patients, alot of children, to specialized medical services which they could not otherwise endure by car or other ground transport. The patients are usually ambulatory or can be carried by their parents.

The services are all free to the patient if they can show a need. If there is a need for a skilled provider such as to monitor special equipment or administer medication, it will usually be a family member or someone they have asked to accompany them on their own. You will sign a waiver releasing the company of all responsibility. Not too long ago an Angel Flight crashed and I don't believe there were any survivors. I don't think the EMS community recognized it as being a medical flight.

OP
OP
S

Simusid

Forum Captain
If you are referring to Angel Flight the all volunteer service and not Angel Medflight, then you would only be a passenger.

Yes I definitely did not mean any form of MedFlight. And these are the answers I was expecting anyway.