Alternate Uses for KED

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
Hey all!
I recently read an article - can't remember where or by whom, - that outlined the possibility of using a KED without a long board in 'load and go' situations. It was an extensive study into the effectiveness of immobilization of a long baord vs. a KED. I can't remember what the result was - can anyone shed some light on this?

Further - what are some other creative and improvised ways of using a KED?

Believe it or not I know people who have been in EMS 10+ years and have only used the KED once for its intended purpose. :p

So. IL Medic

Forum Lieutenant
KEDs by themselves are not really effective immobilization. They are devices for safer extrication. However, I have used one as ad hoc immobilization for a pt with severe CHF and pulmonary edema when they had a fall down some stairs. Protocol required immobilization because of MOI but the pulmonary edema meant the pt could not lay flat. Pt had 3 pillow orthopnea. So, on went c-collar and KED and pt was transported semi-folwers. The ED doc had no problems with this solution.

A classic alternative use for the KED is to use it to stabilize an unstable pelvis. Turn it upside down so that the bottom three straps go across the pelvis and the top wraps around the knees to splint the legs together.

skyemt

Forum Captain
for the most part, if you have time to apply the KED, then you have time to secure the pt and the KED onto the longboard... as mentioned earlier, the KED is not by itself spinal immobilization...

however, if an emergency extrication is required, or with an unstable pelvis, you won't have time to mess with the KED anyway..

there really is not halfway, KED but no backboard, unless a pt's rare circumstance dictates it..

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
The KED is also particularly useful for immobilizing small children, who otherwise would require a lot of (useless) side padding on a long board. I've used it for this purpose several times - works great. It is very stiff and able to wrap around the body of the child, creating much more effective immobilization.

But the idea of using it for CHF and respiratory distress is great - I'll have to keep that in mind.

OreoThief

Forum Crew Member
Another Great Use for KED

I've got another good use for the KED. How about when you want to wear some revealing evening wear, and need to "smoosh in" some of the extra padding. If done properly, those KED's can make great corsets! Now, if only they would do something about the colors.....
:wub: