Age limits/Requirements for Illinois EMT

Jimbo56

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
Just joined the forum and seeking information.
54 years young and searching for a new career. 20 years in corrections so I'm used to emergency incidents and responding to emergency medical situations. I'm considering returning to to school for my EMT certificate in the state of Illinois. Curious about job opportunities and age requirements for hiring consideration in the state of Illinois. Any and all information would be appreciated.

Don't expect to get on with any paying fire department, as their cutoff is usually high 30's, low 40's. Though you should still have no trouble getting on with private services, especially with your background.

Thanks Linuss. Not looking for a retirement i.e. Fire or Police. I've got to make an appointment with a school advisor before I make a final decision. Just wondering if their is anyone else out there attempting it at my "young age".

Where in IL are you located? I took my Basic at Weiss Hospital (part of the Univ of Chicago). I studied hard and did well. Passed the state exam on the first try.

Just returned to Illinois after spending 10 years in South Carolina. Currently staying in South Pekin until our home is sold there. Wife works at St. Johns in Springfield and I sent an application to LLCC.

Alright then. I can't help cause I am from Chicago. Good luck.

I begin the EMT B program at Lincoln Land Community College on January
10th. Had a discussion with the EMT advisor yesterday and discovered that in Sagamon County, (Springfield, Illinois), they have discontinued the EMT Intermediate program. Following EMT B, the next educational advancement is straight into the Paramedic program. Not sure if this is a national trend or exactly what has directed this change. From what I could determine from the conversation, ST. Johns hospital is the education provider and they are the ones that instituted the program change. St. Johns is closely tied with the SIU medical school.

Anyone heard of this trend?

Central Illinois is tough: mostly volly rural deparment's or career which have age restrictions (mid 30's is the limit) (i.e. Peoria, East Peoria, Pekin, N. Tazewell, etc)

Try looking for private EMS companies, AMT, some of the Springfield or Lincoln ones (some are hospital based too)

Back