AED Recall

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Recall:
MRL Inc. Issues Voluntary Recall of AED20
May 17 , 2005

On May 10, MRL Inc., a Welch Allyn Company, announced a voluntary worldwide recall of AED20 AEDs manufactured in Buffalo Grove, Ill., between February and July 2004. These 597 devices—296 of which were sold within the United States and 301 outside of the United States—may display a “Defib Comm” error message on the display during use, resulting in a failure of the device to analyze the patient’s ECG and deliver the appropriate therapy, potentially preventing resuscitation. The problem occurs when an impact to the exterior of the AED20 causes a circuit board connector to perforate an insulation shield, creating an electrical short between the connector and the external housing of the AED20, according to a company press release.

The company has received 12 related complaints with this specific group of AED20s, including one instance in which the short may have prevented patient resuscitation. The company has taken corrective action and no other devices besides those manufactured between the above dates are subject to this voluntary recall.

MRL Inc. initiated notification via certified mail on May 5 to its customers who purchased affected AED20s. It is also providing customers with a loaner AED20 at no cost while their unit is being serviced and will pay all costs associated with shipping, handling and corrective service.

This recall is being conducted with the full knowledge of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). FDA has determined that this action is a Class 1 recall. The FDA defines Class 1 as a situation in which there is reasonable probability that the use of or exposure to the product will cause serious adverse health consequences or death.

Customers with questions may contact the company at 800/462-0777.

Clicky
~Jems

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I just got a notice about the plugs on some of the Heartstarts. I have to go check ours and see if it's one of the affected ones...

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@May 17 2005, 09:09 PM
I just got a notice about the plugs on some of the Heartstarts. I have to go check ours and see if it's one of the affected ones...
Heartstart too??? This is the MRL AED20

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+May 18 2005, 06:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ May 18 2005, 06:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt@May 17 2005, 09:09 PM
Heartstart too??? This is the MRL AED20 [/b][/quote]
Laerdal is voluntarily recalling all lots of CM 100-Heartstart Adapter Cable, Cat. No. 920650 (Adapter Cable). Wires within the defibrillator adapter cables are susceptible to breakage.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – Wappingers Falls, NY – April 28, 2005 – Laerdal Medical Corporation, Wappingers Falls, New York, a subsidiary of Laerdal Medical AS, Stavanger, Norway, today announced that it is voluntarily recalling all lots of CM 100-Heartstart Adapter Cable, Cat. No. 920650 (Adapter Cable). Wires within the defibrillator adapter cables are susceptible to breakage.

Laerdal has received reports regarding incidents of wire breakage in the Adapter Cable that prevented delivery of defibrillation shocks. The test method described in the defibrillator instructions for use will not detect internal breaks in the adapter cables. Use of these Adapter Cables should be discontinued.

Read More Here

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+May 19 2005, 01:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ May 19 2005, 01:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@May 18 2005, 06:41 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt
@May 17 2005, 09:09 PM
I just got a notice about the plugs on some of the Heartstarts.  I have to go check ours and see if it's one of the affected ones...

Heartstart too??? This is the MRL AED20
Laerdal is voluntarily recalling all lots of CM 100-Heartstart Adapter Cable, Cat. No. 920650 (Adapter Cable). Wires within the defibrillator adapter cables are susceptible to breakage. [/b][/quote]
Ahh.... Now I remember. Somehow I heard that and didn't post it. BAD Forum Whacker... Bad!

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Unfortunately, I think a lot of the AEDs on the market were really intended for periodic "public access" use but are being used by various emergency agencies more frequently than they were designed for. I know a lot of the ones I've seen just don't look or feel sturdy enough to be using on a day-to-day (or even week-to-week) basis.

I know the two we use were specifically designed for EMS and are much more rugged. We've had them in service for quite some time now and have never had any problems with them. Even though we probably don't use them even a dozen times a year, they get carried in for lots of calls (protocol is to take it in for any chest pain, difficulty breathing or person unconscious call in addition to dispatched full arrests).