Adventures in recert

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
So I trained and passed as an EMT-I in New Hampshire in 2006. While we used the I-99 book, took I-99 tests, had to know I-99 protocols, we were tested as I-85s because the legislature and med control didn't want us doing all that I-99s do.

In 2007 NH decided to remove ETT as an intermediate skill. I think that's going backwards. However they added the King airway, LMAs and CPAP.

As a full-time student I don't get to work on the bus very often, but I always keep up with my coned. I am right now in the middle of the Basic refresher course at NEEMSI (www.neemsi.org), accredited by the CAAHP and licensed by multiple states.

The director of the institute tells me that in order to maintain a NH EMT-I license I'll have to come in and take additional ALS coned to train on the LMA, King and CPAP. This isn't necessarily bad as I need just a few more ConEd hours but it's weird and annoying to essentially maintain two sets of skills, each mandated by the state. NH requires their EMTs to be Nationally Registered, but then requires them to learn all sorts of things not in their skill level.

I went to the first of the refreshers yesterday. I was the only Intermediate in the class, other than the instructor who is also an Intermediate. It was interesting, he was entertaining and it's good to know I'll be certed for another 2 years.