1st day of Practical....

Amack

Forum Crew Member
Hey all! Thought I'd christen my first thread with a funny ( slightly embarassing) account of my first instructional practical at EMT school. It was a little over 2 weeks ago, when my class of 40 broke up into groups of 5 or so, to go over the introductory stations( i.e stretcher, taking vitals, first aid, stair chair, board& collar, etc.)

Enter stair chair station. My group consisted of myself (i'm a big dude, so i can lift a fair amount of weight), a much bigger dude, a fairly corpulent woman, and two very slender young ladies. Essentially, the entire station constituted, bringing one of our classmates all the way down a "Z" oriented stair case, and after a brief pause bringing them back up.

So, I volunteered for the free ride first :p. Next, I had the bottom rungs while my assigned partner was at the top. All the way down, 60 second breather, all the way up. 120 seconds pass. I'm then selected again to hoist the bigger guy, with another female at the bottom. All the way down. All the way up. Then, for the sake of time (we're only allowed to 45 min at each station) they partner me up for ANOTHER RUN (at this point my arms feel like elastic bands). All the way down. Rest for 60 seconds...........HOWEVER! something wasn't feeling right.....I couldn't seem to control my respirations back to a semi-normal rate. I presume i was at 19-20 per min for like 2 minutes...I started seeing white....snowflakes...and my entire body became incredibly lethargic. I walked outside, and slumped over a U.S. Mail dropbox for support. I was completely drenched in sweat. The next thing i remember was that (since everyone there teaching the stations, was either a medic or basic) I was surrounded by a congregation of EMTs! (At least I was at the right place! lol) I remarkably recovered shortly thereafter, feeling completely fine, as if nothing had happened (minus the sweat drenched clothing). My instructor asked if i wanted an ambulance, and I accepted a ride to the ER, out of nothinng but precautionary measure. Turned out that I was dehydrated, and had suffereed from mild heat exhaustion from the poorly circulated and quite stuffy stairwell! After 2 hours of tanking up on fluids, I returned to class .....Very ironic!

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
haha nice story.

I think it's time you should start working out again and stop playing so many video games in your free time.

A similar situation occured back when I was taking my class, it's so funny how serious everyone reacts. We also called a paramedic truck and I believe it turned out to be just another case of dehydration.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Funny story-- well, at least they knew what to do... There were some near problems in my EMT class-- that is a longer story...

I, too, have been caught in a similar situation; except I was in rural Mexico. I had been doing a community service project down there breaking down a rock and building a road-- and despite what I thought was constant hydration, ended up in a rural hospital with a doctor who didn't speak English. Ten minutes later I ended up on a N/S and D50 drip (I watched them take the GLASS bottles out of their packaging, and they used a sterile needle-- I made sure of that). Once I got back to the group, after the perfunctory "are you okay?", i was made fun of for the rest of the trip.

OP
OP
Amack

Amack

Forum Crew Member
haha nice story.

I think it's time you should start working out again and stop playing so many video games in your free time.

A similar situation occured back when I was taking my class, it's so funny how serious everyone reacts. We also called a paramedic truck and I believe it turned out to be just another case of dehydration.

haha

i knew it was only a matter of time before you replied. Yeah, you're definitely right. I've started on the recumbent bike 30 minutes per day, between summer classes and EMT class.

OP
OP
Amack

Amack

Forum Crew Member
Funny story-- well, at least they knew what to do... There were some near problems in my EMT class-- that is a longer story...

I, too, have been caught in a similar situation; except I was in rural Mexico. I had been doing a community service project down there breaking down a rock and building a road-- and despite what I thought was constant hydration, ended up in a rural hospital with a doctor who didn't speak English. Ten minutes later I ended up on a N/S and D50 drip (I watched them take the GLASS bottles out of their packaging, and they used a sterile needle-- I made sure of that). Once I got back to the group, after the perfunctory "are you okay?", i was made fun of for the rest of the trip.

Wow. That's some scary stuff!

P.S. I hear ya about that last part, My instructor continually uses me as the demo PT in class, not to mention that I'll never hear the end of it. It's all in good taste, We have a great bunch of guys in my school.

Glad to hear you made it out in once piece ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Big rule in EMS... See the patient... don't beeee the patient!

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
Gotta love the students who are willing to provide a genuine learning experience for the rest of us. Last night in class we had an asthmatic student decide that he was going to be the class guinea pig when the FF class started polluting and filled our building with a smoky haze. At least now we all know one of the five thousand or so lung sounds to listen for.