You might work for a private if.....

NeverSatisfied~NorCal

Forum Crew Member
I wouldn't ride back with a tire like that either.

One of you dropped the ball, tires should be checked at the start of shift

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

So you would just leave the ambulance and take a taxi back to the station? :glare:

On dropping the ball....I am laughing....but the fact of the matter is that I have rode with several different partners some actually check and some dont but would be willing to bet that at 5am in the rain when its dark even you would have had a hard time seeing the very inside corner of the tire with cords showing on about 40%...........

We obviously refused to transport anyone else and were heading back to the station anyway no matter what anyone said.

I was more thinking of how funny the fit he threw was really

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
It's called a tow truck.

NeverSatisfied~NorCal

Forum Crew Member
It's called a tow truck.

I am wondering if I said something to offend you

or

you are just one of "those" partners

I not only have my ADL I.E. Ambulance Drivers License that gives me explicit instructions to what the tire depth can be but I also have my CDL I.E. Commercial Drivers License that teaches you how to inspect tires and to top it off I grew up with professional commercial drivers throughout my entire family. With that being said and we were only a mere 10 miles max from our station with no freeway and a max speed of 35 M.P.H. to get there. We opted to go get another rig from the station.

Call me silly, but it just so happened we made it there without any major roll over accident occuring.

I really just thought the Delay for lunch and the huge fit was funny so if I offended you or something that was not my intention!!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Uhm no. I just wouldn't risk my safety by driving on a bad tire. I would sit right there and wait for a tow truck. That's why they have tow trucks, to transport vehicles that are unable or unsafe to drive.

jemt

Forum Crew Member
**fired/laughed at for tyring to get a tow on a truck that runs and can be taken back to the office.

NeverSatisfied~NorCal

Forum Crew Member
**fired/laughed at for tyring to get a tow on a truck that runs and can be taken back to the office.

My point exactly!!

And correct me if I am wrong but isn't this the

HUMOR section

where we can laugh at some of the funny stuff that happens without it all being picked apart??

Again I just wanted to get another laugh out of a funny story about going on a delay to eat lunch and an almost 40 year old man throwing a fit. Honest!

jemt

Forum Crew Member
my point exactly!!

And correct me if i am wrong but isn't this the

humor section

where we can laugh at some of the funny stuff that happens without it all being picked apart??

Again i just wanted to get another laugh out of a funny story about going on a delay to eat lunch and an almost 40 year old man throwing a fit. Honest!

+1.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
As a former NJ IFT emt, its made up of EMTs who will never do 911, volunteer buffs who could never get hired be professional 911 agencies and people with past felonies.
As a former IFT EMT (who did it for 3 months and decided I had enough), I can say that's an inaccurate generalization.

quite a few IFT EMTs work FT in 911 services, and do IFTs as a side job for extra money. Others are doing it only until they can get into a 911 service. And you would be surprised how many IFT EMTs aren't volunteers or buffs, and can't do a simple medical or trauma assessment because they have no (volunteer) emergency experience.

And there are also 911 services that have an IFT branch (or IFT services that have a 911 branch), so it all depends on which IFT service you are talking about.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
Meh

I'd just pull out the jack and spare..15 minutes later, back in service.

NeverSatisfied~NorCal

Forum Crew Member
:rofl:

This is a very good point!

But from my learnings after moving to California....not everyone even knows how to change a tire...:rofl:

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
It's required learning in my company. Everyone knows how to change a tire and is capable of doing it on the side of the road. We even practice it.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It's required learning in my company. Everyone knows how to change a tire and is capable of doing it on the side of the road. We even practice it.

I'd like it if our company did that. Presently we have no spare trucks, so if a truck goes down all the other crews have to cover for them. The wait for a tow makes a 15 minute tire change take hours, hours that I could be napping or doing something unproductive!

Sasha

Forum Chief

We aren't allowed to change the tire. Our tow truck drivers used to change them but for some reason they stopped allowing that too.

I probably wouldn't even if we are allowed to. I am not paid to be the mechanic, he makes way more than I ever will at that company. Our shirts are white and I have a hard enough time keeping it clean without rooting around with a tire.

It is the humor section, your point? Even if it wasn't the humor section I wouldn't have driven on a bad tire.

If they try to deny the tow truck a simple "so what do you want us to do when the tire blows out and we crash?" On the recorded line would have made them reconsider, at least at my company.

If it doesnt, then at least you have the makings of a good law suit.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
We aren't allowed to change the tire. Our tow truck drivers used to change them but for some reason they stopped allowing that too.

I probably wouldn't even if we are allowed to. I am not paid to be the mechanic, he makes way more than I ever will at that company. Our shirts are white and I have a hard enough time keeping it clean without rooting around with a tire.

Our shirts are white too, we just wear a jacket over them. I understand though, there are some companies here that won't allow their staff to change tires. Question though. What would you do if you were required to change the tire?

Sasha

Forum Chief
We aren't provided jackets and I'm not going to get my own dirty for them.

Simple. "sorry I don't know how" my partner is welcome to. I wouldn't.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
We aren't provided jackets and I'm not going to get my own dirty for them.

Simple. "sorry I don't know how" my partner is welcome to. I wouldn't.

That's why we have inservices on changing tires. That way, you do know how. :)

To be honest, I leave it up to my staff. They have the choice of taking 15 minutes to change a tire or they can call for a tow truck and another ambulance to take the patient if they have one, wait anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour for that other ambulance to show up....and well over an hour for the tow truck....and pay the bill when it arrives. :)

JK the last part.

As to the unit check discovering the tire problem in the first place, not everyone has a well lit garage in which to do the oncoming shift checks. I consider myself lucky.

Sasha

Forum Chief
That's why we have inservices on changing tires. That way, you do know how. :)

To be honest, I leave it up to my staff. They have the choice of taking 15 minutes to change a tire or they can call for a tow truck and another ambulance to take the patient if they have one, wait anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour for that other ambulance to show up....and well over an hour for the tow truck....and pay the bill when it arrives. :)

JK the last part.

As to the unit check discovering the tire problem in the first place, not everyone has a well lit garage in which to do the oncoming shift checks. I consider myself lucky.

We don't either. We do it out back. We are still expected to check the condition of our vehicle raining or not.

I wouldn't change the tire. That really isn't my job. So you have to wait for another truck and a tow. Some of my coworkers would find that to be a plus. Nap time.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
You carry a spare tire on your truck? There's a place for one on mine, but no tire there.

I don't have a truck, I have an SUV though, and it has a spare. My ambulance wouldn't pass the annual govt. safety inspection if it didn't have a spare either.