You might work for a private if.....

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Actually, it's just a function of their business model. If you're a private company, and not doing 911 coverage, it's the company's problem, and potential loss of revenue... For all you know, the reimbursement for that discharge might be worth 110 miles driven and time for an ALS unit. For all intensive purposes, when you're on the clock, and continue to get your paychecks, the company "owns" you, and can dictate the calls you are sent to... If you have a problem, bring it up with your supervisor, or go to a different company.

My issue is the inefficiency of doing business like this. I realize the company can send you on something of this sort, but it remains patently ridiculous. 218 feet transport? Yeah, the facilities should be able to manage that rather than requiring insurance or Medicare reimbursement of that transport. Obviously no one wants that responsibility and this is the system we created, but it's still out of control. I'm not saying that they shouldn't respond. I'm saying I wouldn't have the patience to tolerate that kind of nonsensical tail chasing.

MrJones

Iconoclast
My issue is the inefficiency of doing business like this. I realize the company can send you on something of this sort, but it remains patently ridiculous. 218 feet transport? Yeah, the facilities should be able to manage that rather than requiring insurance or Medicare reimbursement of that transport....

We have a hospital that uses us to transport patients across the street to their cancer treatment center. The hospital foots the bill for that, not the patient's insurance. I reckon it's cheaper to do that than to have their own transportation system that sits more than it's used.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
We have a hospital that uses us to transport patients across the street to their cancer treatment center. The hospital foots the bill for that, not the patient's insurance. I reckon it's cheaper to do that than to have their own transportation system that sits more than it's used.

Sometimes we're called to transport from the VA hospital to the trauma center across the street, and they're connected by a skywalk.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Sometimes we're called to transport from the VA hospital to the trauma center across the street, and they're connected by a skywalk.

You aren't in San Antonio, are you? :unsure:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

phideux

Forum Captain
This is emblematic of everything wrong in the world today. I would have the patience to do this exactly zero times.

Yep it sucks, and almost all of them are paid by Medicare/medicaid, so basically we are paying for it. Ridiculous, there has to be a better way.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
When each of your trucks have problems so its a crepe shoot to see which one will run today.

When you go to get diesel and the card is declined for non payment or its maxed out.

when you do get a new truck. its the directors personal ride for a few months long before it can go into service. And the finance company is calling for their payment that was never sent

When you get pages for OT. but then get screamed at that you have too much OT.

When you get your paycheck on a Friday and its a run to the bank to see whos check will pay out, and who's will bounce

When you call the manager and leave messages about issues and he never returns your call.

When you mention pay raises or benefits and you hear about how, the company is operating on a shoestring budget and that can cut into the operating expenses so we can't get this all "new equipment" that we hear of

Rumours of pay raises, new trucks or equipment is stated and started by management and then denied by the same management

When you get these mandatory meetings that you never seem to get paid for on your days off.

When you do late calls, and then get in trouble for doing your charts when you get back cause your on the big clock

When you go to the hospitals and are told to steal and stalk up on supplies as much as you can cause the supplier hasn't been paid so you don't know when you'll get new supplies.

That's my former company, The private orginaztion im in a bargaining agreement with now hell the operations manager would give you the shirt off his back for good employees. I can honestly say I've actually seen the owner of the company give a employee money out of his own pocket to help with Christmas for an employees kids.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
You might work for a private if...

Your uniform is a t-shirt with the company logo on it. And if you need more it's on your own dime.

Your company issues memos every 15 minutes that are never read or implemented.

Overtime is offered to you, but only if you give up a shift later in the week so you don't actually make any overtime.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
You might work for a private if...

Overtime is offered to you, but only if you give up a shift later in the week so you don't actually make any overtime.

My old supervisor used to actually watch the time cards and make you give up shifts if you stayed late or picked up a call off shift.

Oh and don't punch in more than 5 minutes early for your shift.

Emtsgv

Forum Crew Member
when u ask your FTO when our lunch is and he reply "we don't take lunches we eat when we can" and then follows "u signed your soul away" 0_o...

when you have to hop walls to get into a private residence because dispatcher doesn't even have the home phone number to contact the PT

when you pick show up to a 400lb pt and request lift assist and are denied 0_o?

and they always live on a HILL and SECOND FLOOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Some of the older guys will get this one..

When I first started doing EMS cellphones weren't popular yet. We had them but it wasn't nothing like it was today. And since my employer was still in the belief that this was 1984 we used to get our truck and a roll of quarters. You called the dispatch everytime you cleared up for your next call. This was also when payphones still exsisted..

Where the guys from Maroon 5 got the idea for the payphone song when I haven't seen one in ages is beyond me.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
One placed I worked at was so stingy that we had a pay phone in the quarters. Want to make a call? Not on the company's dime!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
One placed I worked at was so stingy that we had a pay phone in the quarters. Want to make a call? Not on the company's dime!

There is a company around me that still uses this.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief

To an extant I can see that. when you got people who live on the company's phones. However if a person needs to make a quick phone call I think its a bit unacceptable

Rightroad

Forum Probie
When the company is short handed, and you end up being a wheel-chair driver for the day.

When the partners you have don't tuck in their shirts and wear sneakers.... or both.

When you have to push the tiny button on the latch for the stretcher to catch.

When you drive around to see what other privates are doing... And when you see they don't run any calls, you drive up to their HR office on shift in uniform to apply.

When you pick up a Pt for a dialysis treatment and he/she wants to stop at Mcdonald's or burger king first. Yet he/she already weighs 350 plus.....Supervisor's order to stop and go inside BK or MCD's for he/she.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I went into a truck stop resturaunt after fueling the ambulance and had them make a Grilled Cheese sandwich for my patient: That is what she wanted and we were on an 18 hr transport. The diner didn't charge us for the meal since they didn't have it on the menu