You might work for a private if.....

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
You've been employed less than two years and you're 5th on the seniority list

firecoins

IFT Puppet
You know you work for a transport service when your dispatched to a possible AMI and asked to advise if ALS is needed.

When your not allowed to stop at mvas.

When RNs don't give you report and will give you the paperwork on the way out on an emergency.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
You're a part time college kid employee and you're 11th on the list after working a year and a half.

Your partner's employee ID number is twice yours and it's only been a year.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
When it's time for the annual highway patrol vehicle inspection and supplies are sneakily moved from one unit to another in order to have the required minimums on board each.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
after copying you on scene you get a page that says "do not take the pillow or linens."

when you have to use the blue non fitted disposable sheets. and you could never figure out if the white side or blue goes on top.

I see you've been dispatched to the Glendale hospitals a time or two lol

ekgshelly

Forum Ride Along
Circle of Life

You've transported patients with a GCS not consistent with life... to routine checkups or dialysis.

phideux

Forum Captain
You've transported patients with a GCS not consistent with life... to routine checkups or dialysis.

I've got a couple regulars who fit that criteria.:rofl::rofl:

Ace 227

Forum Lieutenant
When you're parked in a dialysis pt's driveway, taking the stretcher out of the truck, and a 911 call drops and you're told to handle it. With the pt looking at you through the front window and her husband standing on the porch waiting for you to come in...

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
When you're reported to the medical director for "not performing ALS interventions on a hematuria/aloc patient going to the ER...." But your supervisor ignored the entire rest of the report where you indicated that you were on a BLS truck, with a normally altered stroke patient, who was actually being admitted to a floor, not the ER.

And then doesn't apologize.

Squad-6

Forum Probie
If you or your employer has ever used the Ambulance to make extra $$$$ hauling or towing something back after a transport.

Ace 227

Forum Lieutenant
When you see a picture in the newspaper of an ambulance submerged in 4 feet of flood waters and then laugh when you see its your competition.

In fact, You might work for a private if you HAVE competition. Dont know if that one's been said, lol

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
When you respond to a "possible heat stroke" on an ambulance without air conditioning.

Oh how about when you respond to every call without air conditioning?

Or when you try to find any little thing to submit a work order for so they will take your frontline and give you a spare that actually has AC...

Or when said frontline is taken to service center with aforementioned broken AC and the tech says "its colder than the outside air, so you'll be good."

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
When you get a run that involves transporting somebody between a hospital and a cancer treatment center that share a parking lot.

When you get dispatched to transport somebody from one part of a hospital (ER) to another (Private SNF leasing a floor from the hospital).

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
When you get dispatched to transport somebody from one part of a hospital (ER) to another (Private SNF leasing a floor from the hospital).

What hospital is that?

phideux

Forum Captain
When you get a run that involves transporting somebody between a hospital and a cancer treatment center that share a parking lot.

We have one we get sent to on a pretty regular basis. We are an ALS unit. The hospital is 52 miles each way from our station, we always get sent there for a BLS discharge from the ER to the Nursing center, we actually measured the distance one day, 218ft door to door.
And whenever we go there my chart always gets flagged for not trending patient vitals. I always put in my narrative, "transport 218ft, transport time less than 30 seconds, no time for patient vitals". I'll leave that flagged chart in my box until they finally take it down.:lol::lol:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
We have one we get sent to on a pretty regular basis. We are an ALS unit. The hospital is 52 miles each way from our station, we always get sent there for a BLS discharge from the ER to the Nursing center, we actually measured the distance one day, 218ft door to door.

This is emblematic of everything wrong in the world today. I would have the patience to do this exactly zero times.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
This is emblematic of everything wrong in the world today. I would have the patience to do this exactly zero times.

Actually, it's just a function of their business model. If you're a private company, and not doing 911 coverage, it's the company's problem, and potential loss of revenue... For all you know, the reimbursement for that discharge might be worth 110 miles driven and time for an ALS unit. For all intensive purposes, when you're on the clock, and continue to get your paychecks, the company "owns" you, and can dictate the calls you are sent to... If you have a problem, bring it up with your supervisor, or go to a different company.