What's wrong with this video?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I dont know whats wrong with it.

I dont feel as if I know enough about whats going on or what has happened prior to the film starting. The film is also of very poor quality.

Best I can tell, the guy is laying on the ground with an officer pointing a gun at him..and then the guy proceeds to get up and is shot.

Why would you get up if the call was serious enough for an officer to lay you down and have a gun drawn?

As always, I think there is more critical information to this story that we are not recieving, so I can not make a comment either for or against at this time.

Lisa

Forum Crew Member
The Video was very hard to see! But come on...how many times is he gonna shoot the guy already!!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Its really hard to tell what's going on and I don't know that much about LEO rules. I'll have Jay watch it and see what he thinks.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
The guy was shot while attempting to stand up...please note that he was repeatedly ordered to stand up and when he did, he got shot for it.

Is this what you're talking about Stevo?

OP
OP
Stevo

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
this is one link to the story, others are around

this is [part of] a transcript from the scene;

In the tape, an unarmed Carrion appears to be on the ground as a deputy sheriff stands above him with his gun drawn.

"Get up!" the deputy shouts. "OK," Carrion says.

"Get up!" the deputy shouts again. "I'm going to get up," Carrion says, and he begins to rise.

The deputy fires three shots, reportedly striking Carrion in the chest, leg and shoulder.

Moaning while on the ground, Carrion attempts to explain to the deputy he's an Iraq war veteran. "I mean you no harm," he says. "Shut the [expletive] up!" the deputy shouts. "Shut the [expletive] up!"

The deputy shouts that he has "one down," then again tells Carrion to "shut the [expletive] up."

"You don't get up!" the deputy says.

Then the tape contains the voice of a neighbor who appears to have watched the incident."You told him to get up!" the voice says.

~S~

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I saw this video on a news station. I hate to say someone did something wrong, but I think almost everyone on every side admits that someone made a mistake.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
OK I had Jay look at the tape, and even he can't make a proper guesstimate form the clip, But he did notice a shadow in the guys left hand that could be a weapon. I really think it's too little information to make an assumption, and you know what they say about assumptions. Every cop is trained to shoot to kill, not to just wound, so he's lucky he only got one in the chest. But I don't see how with the way law enforcement rules are today that a deputy would shoot a suspect unless he really felt threatened.

Jay's saying is he rather be judged by twelve than carried by six, mine is
I'd rather have him come home fired than not come home at all.

If you're a cop and you feel your life is in danger, then shoot... If you're not a criminal you won't be in that situation most of the time. As much as I may sound like a b***h I don't feel for those who threaten the police, it may be personal, but if you got shot you f***d up.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
You have to remember, like suspects, some cops are also total idiots. I think they stationed all of the idiots locally from the whole state.

Example. There was an accident right in front of the local firehouse. The firemen were right there, they didn't even have to leave the station ramp to treat the walking patients. The police came, State Police, they walked up to an EMT, and he must not have realized he was a rescuer, not a victim. The cop slapped his hand on the hood of the ambulance, and said "Are you the driver?" Still tapping the ambulance hood. The guys says "Yeah, I'm driving". Cop grabs him by the arm, slams him against the rig, and cuffs him. Cop asks "What the F**K were you doing, pulling out in front of that truck". EMT says "What the hell are you talking about". Cop slams into his back, and yells it into his ear. Fire chief walks up and says "What the hell are you doing to my driver". Cop looks dumbfounded. I say, he's not the driver of the car, he's the ambulance driver. Cop looks around, takes the cuffs off, and goes to sit in his car. The FD actually pressed charges, the officer was demoted, and transfered after a face to face and public apology.

And the cause of the wreck was a truck hitting a parked car, so I don't know where he got his info from.

OP
OP
Stevo

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
shadow in the guys left hand that could be a weapon.

Chino Airman Shooting, 02/02/06
This image taken from a 40-second video tape clip and provided to the Associated Press by KTLA-TV in Los Angeles, purports to show unarmed Air Force Senior Airman Elio Carrion, 21, being shot by a San Bernadino, Calif. sheriff's deputy in Chino, Calif., Sunday Jan. 29, 2006. The video shows Carrion being shot three times as he appeared to obey an order to get up off the ground. KTLA-TV broadcast the clip and said it came from a Chino resident who videotaped Sunday night's shooting, which followed a 100 mph car chase. (AP Photo/APTN)

3.jpg

Carrion was unarmed....

~S~

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
If you got shot, you were unarmed, had your hands in view, and was trying to get up... Then the officer f**ked up.

Angry, nervous officers with guns.. Kill.

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
TTLWHKR said:
If you got shot, you were unarmed, had your hands in view, and was trying to get up... Then the officer f**ked up.

Angry, nervous officers with guns.. Kill.

I agree.
//////

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
TTLWHKR said:
You have to remember, like suspects, some cops are also total idiots.

Of course, they're everywhere in every job, I've met a number of them.

Stevo well I guess it wasn't one then.

OP
OP
Stevo

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
no wingnut

most unfortunate that they were being videotaped as well

i suppose we should all take a leson here in that we could be under such scrutiny at any time, and not really know it eh?

~S~

OP
OP
Stevo

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
but happiness is a warm gun Wacker...

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I guess I'm just prejudiced because I'm married to cop, have a brother that's one, and most of our friends are cops. And I personally have no problems with guns, I have problems with certain people owning them. But we've had this topic before and it always gets heated (no matter who or where you have it)

So forgive me if I sound naive or *****y, I don't mean to be, and while sarcasm reigns supreme in my daily life, that inflection gets lost in the land of typed conversations. :wacko:

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Stevo said:
3.jpg

Carrion was unarmed....

~S~
Carrion was unarmed, so says the media. And we all know they're not biased and only report the whole untainted truth. How is it known Carrion was unarmed? After he was shot, someone inspected him and found no weapon. Did the cop know that when he was shooting Carrion? No. When the cop shot Carrion, Carrion wasn't unarmed; apparently, he was presumed (by the cop) to be armed and dangerous. A lot of people get shot each year while holding or reaching for a cell phone, cigarette, lighter, or some other object. I have no idea what happened here; it's difficult to tell from the video, I don't know what the cop thought he saw, if anything. I'm not saying the cop right or justified. It doesn't really sound like it, but you never know.

A guy I know, who's also an EMT and his wife is a police dispatcher, once told me about an incident that happened in his local PD. A rookie was riding with an experienced officer. They had stopped someone (I don't know the reason), and had had the man exit his vehicle with his hands raised. The officers were standing by their car; the experienced officer had his handgun out and aimed at the suspect, while the rookie had a shotgun aimed at the suspect. The rookie then shouted out, "Freeze!", but at the same time, the experienced officer told the man to step backwards. The man, confused, started to move backwards. The rookie shot him, and with that shotgun, he was d-e-d-dead.

Mistakes happen. Confusion? Negligence? Ignorance? Stupidity? Nervous? Yep.