Unions????

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
People at the executive level recive perks, confrences in resort areas, company cars, lap top computers......

Many times things unrealted to work.

So what is so damn horrible about a company buying an EMT a pair of pants...? Pants that can only be worn while working anyway...?

When you have skills that I can't easily replace is when you will get paid more. EMT's are easily replaceable especially in this market. What skills that you have that makes you valuable to your employer which can't easily replace you?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Just like I got to keep the pants I bought to work at my first company. My pants, my shorts. I'm keeping them and don't see expecting employers to supply their employees with wardrobe. Hell, why not complain that there isn't company supplied and laundered underwear?

You bought, fine. That is yours to do whatever with unless it has a company logo ....then it's the company's business as to who may own the items regardless of who foot the cost.

And yes, if I expect special uniforms, you bet it's my obligation to provide the first set, minimum. As the employer, it most certainly is my responsibility. Unless one has owned his/her own business, that particular sense of right and wrong is void. A dime spent today is a dollar made tomorrow. Be good to employees and generally speaking, they help cement the building blocks of a growing company. Poorly run companies tend to attract and hang on to equally bad workers. Good one's will attract and keep growth potential employees. The math is pretty easy. Who generates the most profit? Is it the poorly run company that is always on the verge of broke with a boss who hides come payday? Or, is the other guy? The one with the new trucks, most modern equipment and higher paying contracts who is looking to branch out again???? A business is only as good or bad as the guy at the top. The question is...which would you be?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Rescue, I think you and I are on the same page on this issue. Paying for a full uniform (boots to shirt) and CMEs is an awesome perk, however there's a difference between an awesome perk and something I expect out of every company.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Rescue, I think you and I are on the same page on this issue. Paying for a full uniform (boots to shirt) and CMEs is an awesome perk, however there's a difference between an awesome perk and something I expect out of every company.

Not exactly the same page as I believe 100% that uniforms, at least the first set, is the employers resonsibility. I don't think it's a perk in any way shape or form. It is my an expectation as the employer to provide uniforms. Boots n drawers, no. The rest, absolutely. Perhaps I am an employer who does not want his/her employees to have excuses. Perhaps I simply like a sharp look. Either way, I'm buyin and the employees will wear them as outlined in the employee handbook. There is always a method to the bosses maddness...:wacko:

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Well all my ce's get paid for and I get a six hundred dollar a year uniform allowance.:p

IAFF?
I'm EMPACCT, but the FireMedics are IAFF. We pretty much ride their coattails with contracts, but they are well written and provide us well.

I think our uniform allowance is 400-500, but MUST be spent at the only authorized uniform store, and only on certain allowable items.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
When you have skills that I can't easily replace is when you will get paid more. EMT's are easily replaceable especially in this market. What skills that you have that makes you valuable to your employer which can't easily replace you?

The sword swings both ways. Careful what ya say there BMOC. What if every single employee stopped working everyday...new old, relatives, the whole lot of them? You would be out of business in a week no matter how many people you claim are available for hire. Your position reflects a terrible attitude toward yer fellow man! ;)

terrible one

Always wandering
Well all my ce's get paid for and I get a six hundred dollar a year uniform allowance.:p

We all know how much you enjoy the money/benefits/pension/etc. you make at LAFD but at the rate that city is going bankrupt I wouldn't continue bragging about it.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
The sword swings both ways. Careful what ya say there BMOC. What if every single employee stopped working everyday...new old, relatives, the whole lot of them? You would be out of business in a week no matter how many people you claim are available for hire. Your position reflects a terrible attitude toward yer fellow man! ;)

With how high unemployment in California is, finding new employees is very easy. I got list of potential EMT's that are read to start tomorrow and getting unsolicited resume daily. People need to feed their family so unless they find something better they will continue working. What you get paid is determined by what the market says you're worth.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
With how high unemployment in California is, finding new employees is very easy. I got list of potential EMT's that are read to start tomorrow and getting unsolicited resume daily. People need to feed their family so unless they find something better they will continue working. What you get paid is determined by what the market says you're worth.

Looker is right. Law of supply and demand here. Too many EMT's not enough positions is of more benefit to the employer they have a bigger pool. If you want to shorten the pool keep on going till you become a paramedic.

AtlantaEMT

Forum Crew Member
I'm new in the EMS field but have a lot of experience dealing with unions. I use to work at a machine shop and did a lot of work for GM (UAW). The UAW is what is running Detroit into the ground and the reason why I will never in my life own an "American" vehicle again. I've seen the quality that goes into GM products and it is absolute crap. I have seen work that goes into Toyotas, Hondas, etc (which aren't union) and the quality is amazing. Also the pay/benefits is very similar to UAW but the main thing is that you are held liable for your screw ups.

I wouldn't mind an EMS union but the union would have to realize that the company needs to be protected too and to not protect the sorry employees. The best example I heard for how a union should operate is that you have an airline pilot flying from NY to England. A few hundred miles out the pilot notices a warning indicator for what is probably a faulty switch but the pilot turns the plane around and comes back to have it checked out. Turns out some water just shorted the switch. But the company is upset that this pilot delayed passengers and cost the company a lot of money and want to fire the pilot. THEN the union should step in and protect that pilot.

But if you have a pilot who is constantly late or does something dangerous and the union agrees it was dangerous, then they need to stand behind the company and not protect that worker.

The problem is a union that operates like that only exists in fantasy land.

That's just my take of course

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief

And we all know we get exactly what we pay for. Pay for quality, you can expect quality people and demand quality performance. The lowest paying companies tend to have lower profits, fewer contracts and more headaches. None of those things belong in a solid business plan.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm new in the EMS field but have a lot of experience dealing with unions. I use to work at a machine shop and did a lot of work for GM (UAW). The UAW is what is running Detroit into the ground and the reason why I will never in my life own an "American" vehicle again. I've seen the quality that goes into GM products and it is absolute crap. I have seen work that goes into Toyotas, Hondas, etc (which aren't union) and the quality is amazing. Also the pay/benefits is very similar to UAW but the main thing is that you are held liable for your screw ups.

I wouldn't mind an EMS union but the union would have to realize that the company needs to be protected too and to not protect the sorry employees. The best example I heard for how a union should operate is that you have an airline pilot flying from NY to England. A few hundred miles out the pilot notices a warning indicator for what is probably a faulty switch but the pilot turns the plane around and comes back to have it checked out. Turns out some water just shorted the switch. But the company is upset that this pilot delayed passengers and cost the company a lot of money and want to fire the pilot. THEN the union should step in and protect that pilot.

But if you have a pilot who is constantly late or does something dangerous and the union agrees it was dangerous, then they need to stand behind the company and not protect that worker.

The problem is a union that operates like that only exists in fantasy land.

That's just my take of course

There could be a contract in place, that both parties agreed to.

For the pilot always late, the union would still defend hi, without breaking rules or laws. The union would ensure the company did nothing illegal or againt the contract regardless of employeees offense.

I would compare it to a criminal who is entitled to a lawyer, even though his crime was caught on tape, he or she still gets a lawyer.

Lone Star

Forum Crew Member
Ok I may have walked into that one. :)

Although Im sure it played a role poor leadership and a less the stellar product has also doomed the American auto maker.

Not only did that contribute to GM and Dodge/Chrysler et al need bailing out, but throw in corporate greed and the simple fact that people have been buying IMPORTS, not because of better quality, but simply because of lower prices.

In today's 'throw away socety' people would rather just toss it in the trash than expend the effort/time to maintain it and fix it as necessary.

As far as auto unions bankrupting companies, how come Ford Motor Company (A UAW 'shop') was the ONLY one that didn't ask for 'bailout money'?

As far as looker goes, THERE is a PRIME reason that unions are needed!

Any employer that BRAGS on how they can fire you for any reason they can dream up, their employees need protection from that kind of tyranny! Even with the posts that PROVED that what they were doing was in violation of may federal labor laws, they still cling to the idea that you as an employee are simply some expendable resource. Once they feel that you've outlived your 'usefulness'....you're HISTORY!

Most of the 'benefits' and 'rights' that you enjoy as an employee have come from the efforts of the unions. You can thank the guys that in 1937 had the BALLS to stand their ground!

AtlantaEMT

Forum Crew Member
As far as auto unions bankrupting companies, how come Ford Motor Company (A UAW 'shop') was the ONLY one that didn't ask for 'bailout money'?

That is becuase they do so well with their fleet sales. Look at your construction companies. My old utility company had all Fords (from F150s-F750s). We had I think 25+ trucks on one lot. It wasn't because they were good quality vehicles. Infact they sucked and were always breaking down. Especially our John Deere tractors (which is why you always see private contractors with Hyundai or other foreign companies). They got them becuase they got killer deals on them. But even the utility companies are going to imports. The Atlnata Gas Light company uses all Toyota Tacomas and I've seen other companies moving to them becuase they are so much more dependable.

A lot of your ambulances are Fords too. And look at all of your government vehicles. Ford, ford, ford.

And those guys in 1937 who had the "balls" to stand the ground did it via thug tactics. Try parking your Honda Accord at a Detroit GM plant and don't join the Union. You better become really good at changing tires.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
l
And those guys in 1937 who had the "balls" to stand the ground did it via thug tactics. Try parking your Honda Accord at a Detroit GM plant and don't join the Union. You better become really good at changing tires.

People have such odd ideas about what the history of organized labor really is. Everything we know today as a safe, productive and fair (such as it is) work place is thanks to people who stood their ground before you, union or not. Wayne State University has some excellent courses on the subject if anyone is ever interested.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Unions are not exempt from doing what people do.

What people do is, perceiving themselves as being suppressed, join together to let their voices be heard and, in some way, overthrow their oppressors. The people who led the revolution, once in power, become the next generation of despots needing to be overthrown. Power is neither created or destroyed, it just changes form.

So there are PHASES that most organizations, including Unions, go through. Some get stuck in using power to their advantage. Others make an honest effort to do what they pledge to do; Defend the rights of the worker.

Though it might seem comforting to hold to black and white thinking and arguing about it, it might be more useful to hear about specific examples that are working.

John E

Forum Captain
In California i can fire you because I didn't like the color of the shoes that you had that day. California is at will, so it means I can fire you if i want to and there is basically nothing you can do about it.

Complete and utter bull:censored::censored::censored::censored:.

John E

John E

Forum Captain
...and employees tend to over value their worth, especially at entry level positions....

...and there are employees and unions who would rather bankrupt their employers instead of accepting a fair wage for the work done.

If you ever get out of medical school, remember not to overvalue yourself.

What a load of pretentious crap.

Get a tiny bit of life experience and then get back to me about how valuable entry level workers are.

John E