Unions????

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
If you ever get out of medical school, remember not to overvalue yourself.

What a load of pretentious crap.

Get a tiny bit of life experience and then get back to me about how valuable entry level workers are.

John E

:D:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::beerchug: cheers!

JPINFV

Gadfly
If you ever get out of medical school, remember not to overvalue yourself.

What a load of pretentious crap.

Get a tiny bit of life experience and then get back to me about how valuable entry level workers are.

John E

Value and over value are two completely different things. Even with a college degree and almost done with a masters, when I took a part time job while I finished up my thesis I wasn't asking for $20/hr. Every post where some EMT sits and moans about how "_____ job gets paid more than me," normally picking some hard labor job with a low supply of workers or some sort of outlier pay (i.e. "ZOMG I get paid the same as a burger flipper at In-N-Out") obviously doesn't know the value of their position.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Complete and utter bull:censored::censored::censored::censored:.

John E

Really? I been in transportation for over 10 years. I have fired plenty of people in that time. California is at will employment which means just that.

John E

Forum Captain
You stated that you can fire anyone for anything at any time and that there was nothing they could do about it. That's bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: and if you have in fact have been business for any length of time in the state of California, you'd know that.

I'm sure you've heard of unemployment insurance? The bulk of those premiums are paid by employers, every time a former employee files a successful claim, your rates go up. Only an idiot would fire someone without cause knowing that it was going to cost his company more money. Every time you fire an employee on a whim as you claim you can do, you're opening yourself up for a lawsuit. There are plenty of things people can do if they get fired without a valid reason in California, you claimed otherwise and you're wrong. And find yourself an attorney who actually knows something about employment law in California if you're gonna play with people's lives.

John E

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
You stated that you can fire anyone for anything at any time and that there was nothing they could do about it. That's bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: and if you have in fact have been business for any length of time in the state of California, you'd know that.

I'm sure you've heard of unemployment insurance? The bulk of those premiums are paid by employers, every time a former employee files a successful claim, your rates go up. Only an idiot would fire someone without cause knowing that it was going to cost his company more money. Every time you fire an employee on a whim as you claim you can do, you're opening yourself up for a lawsuit. There are plenty of things people can do if they get fired without a valid reason in California, you claimed otherwise and you're wrong. And find yourself an attorney who actually knows something about employment law in California if you're gonna play with people's lives.

John E
You're mixing multiple issue together. Yes if someone gets fired for no good cause they can claim unemployment. It still do not mean that I can't fire them just because i feel like it. In California employee can sue if they got fired for one of the following reasons race, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation ,disability and national origin. If employee gets fired for one of those prohibited reason they can sue. Otherwise they can just claim unemployment.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
You're mixing multiple issue together. Yes if someone gets fired for no good cause they can claim unemployment. It still do not mean that I can't fire them just because i feel like it. In California employee can sue if they got fired for one of the following reasons race, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation ,disability and national origin. If employee gets fired for one of those prohibited reason they can sue. Otherwise they can just claim unemployment.

Time to stop arguing with the attention seeker. :nosoupfortroll:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Looker's attitude shouldn't come as a suprise to anyone. Just use these IFT companies for some quick cash until you can do better. That's all they're good for. I recommend only working per diem for an IFT company and working somewhere else for benefits, preferably a hospital or chain store.

Edit: If you have a boss like looker, treat them like they treat you. Hold signals, take your time on the floor, take your time on the drop off, use the hospital's cafeteria to make your own meal break while showing at the hospital unloading. Just be smart about it and don't skell out enough to get fired. Also, know your local laws, as to who decides when you run L&S, who determines what hospital the pt goes to when they're critical, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Also, know your local laws, as to who decides when you run L&S, who determines what hospital the pt goes to when they're critical, etc.

Prehospital providers should know that regardless of their views on their employer.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Prehospital providers should know that regardless of their views on their employer.

True, but the fact of the matter is that these things aren't really addressed in EMt school, and most EMT's will work an IFT job right out of school. These IFT companies will try to order the crew to txp to a certain hospital to satisfy their contract. This won't work if the pt is critical and they're asking you to bypass the closest appropriate ED to keep the customer happy. Or denying a request to run hot when txp'ing a critical pt. Falsifying ppw to qualify for insurance is another big one that EMT school doesn't really address, EMTALA laws, etc. New EMT's are ignorant to many of these things, through no fault of their own, and IFT companies take advantage of this.

JPINFV

Gadfly
True, but the fact of the matter is that these things aren't really addressed in EMt school, and most EMT's will work an IFT job right out of school. These IFT companies will try to order the crew to txp to a certain hospital to satisfy their contract. This won't work if the pt is critical and they're asking you to bypass the closest appropriate ED to keep the customer happy. Or denying a request to run hot when txp'ing a critical pt. Falsifying ppw to qualify for insurance is another big one that EMT school doesn't really address, EMTALA laws, etc. New EMT's are ignorant to many of these things, through no fault of their own, and IFT companies take advantage of this.

It's very much their fault if they don't take action to rectify it on their own. We need to stop thinking that everything a provider needs to know to operate can be delivered by certification courses, canned CMEs, and in-services. EMT school won't teach everything and everyone should have at least read through all of their local protocols and procedures, including the non-treatment ones at least once. What isn't covered in EMT class is the ability to justify decisions past "protocol" and that's the true problem, the lack of critical thinking and ability to convey that thought process to others. Of course, I keep forgetting that EMS is PINO (Professional In Name Only).

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
What isn't covered in EMT class is the ability to justify decisions past "protocol" and that's the true problem, the lack of critical thinking and ability to convey that thought process to others. Of course, I keep forgetting that EMS is PINO (Professional In Name Only).

While the US remains in the dark ages such practices are not required.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Whether unions are good are bad is in the eye of the beholder. One thing remains true, however. Union employees on the whole seem to be a whole lot happier and satisfied with their positions when compared to non union ones. It's important to be happy with your work situation. The stress of having a bad, low paying career with poor job security can wreck your health, both physical and financial.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
It's very much their fault if they don't take action to rectify it on their own. We need to stop thinking that everything a provider needs to know to operate can be delivered by certification courses, canned CMEs, and in-services. EMT school won't teach everything and everyone should have at least read through all of their local protocols and procedures, including the non-treatment ones at least once. What isn't covered in EMT class is the ability to justify decisions past "protocol" and that's the true problem, the lack of critical thinking and ability to convey that thought process to others. Of course, I keep forgetting that EMS is PINO (Professional In Name Only).

Ya could always find a better suited position. No one is forced into becoming an EMT. Nice thing about being in the U.S.A. is that we aren't tracked into professions / occupations. We have the ability to pick our poison.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Ya could always find a better suited position. No one is forced into becoming an EMT. Nice thing about being in the U.S.A. is that we aren't tracked into professions / occupations. We have the ability to pick our poison.

There's a reason I'm not in paramedic school. :blush:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Therefore your opinion is moot....

Because I'm not in paramedic school, my experience as an EMT is moot? I won't apologize for actually having standards in a field that want's to be a profession, but any time any decision not completely spelled out via procedure and protocol goes running to a supervisor or on-line medical control in order to "limit liability." Similarly, how can it be a "profession" if a significant number of technicians refuse to go to the source documents that are easily available. Sorry, "My manager didn't tell me about that" isn't an appropriate excuse when a quick look through your local EMS authority (be it state, local, regional, etc) will generally give access to a primary document that could be read, learned, and if need be printed out for later reference. What's sad is the fact that this sort of self-imposed ignorance is accepted and, to a point, encouraged both by the people who are supposed to be leading the trade (including the educators) as well as the culture of the field providers.

A perfect example of the above regarding liability is the out-of-state still alarm thread. It's amazing the number of people who would rather let someone die than expose them to a minuscule level of liability (not nearly close to the amount of liability exposed to by twiddling their fingers on scene) or expects someone else, anyone else as long as they take on the "liability," to be able to order them to do something technically illegal. Never mind the fact that no EMS authority in their right mind would make a stink out of that.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Because I'm not in paramedic school, my experience as an EMT is moot? I won't apologize for actually having standards in a field that want's to be a profession, but any time any decision not completely spelled out via procedure and protocol goes running to a supervisor or on-line medical control in order to "limit liability." Similarly, how can it be a "profession" if a significant number of technicians refuse to go to the source documents that are easily available. Sorry, "My manager didn't tell me about that" isn't an appropriate excuse when a quick look through your local EMS authority (be it state, local, regional, etc) will generally give access to a primary document that could be read, learned, and if need be printed out for later reference. What's sad is the fact that this sort of self-imposed ignorance is accepted and, to a point, encouraged both by the people who are supposed to be leading the trade (including the educators) as well as the culture of the field providers.

A perfect example of the above regarding liability is the out-of-state still alarm thread. It's amazing the number of people who would rather let someone die than expose them to a minuscule level of liability (not nearly close to the amount of liability exposed to by twiddling their fingers on scene) or expects someone else, anyone else as long as they take on the "liability," to be able to order them to do something technically illegal. Never mind the fact that no EMS authority in their right mind would make a stink out of that.

And then there are those who talk the talk but won't walk the walk....sorry, rules, codes and policies are there for a reason. Usually the reasons are rooted in mistakes from the past. Anyone who prefers to remain "safe" by staying at a lower level, yet wants an more advanced level opinion, should get a :p from people who actually do walk that walk.

JPINFV

Gadfly
And then there are those who talk the talk but won't walk the walk....sorry, rules, codes and policies are there for a reason. Usually the reasons are rooted in mistakes from the past. Anyone who prefers to remain "safe" by staying at a lower level, yet wants an more advanced level opinion, should get a :p from people who actually do walk that walk.
Emphasis added

Are you commenting on the fact that the highest level of EMS training I'm going to achieve is that of EMT or are you surrendering EMS's "fight" for profession status over technical trade?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Thats funny...he is calling you out for remaining at such a "low level"....well Dr. JP...you can see if he walks the walk or not himself.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Thats funny...he is calling you out for remaining at such a "low level"....well Dr. JP...you can see if he walks the walk or not himself.

That's what I thought, but I have the habit of reading too far into things and going off half-cocked, so I wanted to give him the chance to clarify before talking about my future scope of practice (and technically current scope in the educational setting) as authorizing me to "use drugs or devices in or upon human beings and to sever or penetrate the tissues of human beings and to use any and all other methods in the treatment of diseases, injuries, deformities, and other physical and mental conditions" (California Business and Professions Code, sections 2051 and 2453)."

Last edited by a moderator: