Time and a half pay

nick92

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I was wondering what the laws were regarding time and a half pay in LA county. I work for an ift company and we are only allowed time and a half pay after 40 hours. I was told that it is legal but idk, sounds kinda sketchy. If anyone has any input it'd be cool! Thnx :). Happy holidays!

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
The norm for sure, but this depends on the contract you signed when you were hired and any union agreements that may be in place

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The norm for sure, but this depends on the contract you signed when you were hired and any union agreements that may be in place

This. It is the norm.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Anything over 40 hours is overtime. Therefore time and half applies.

Why does this sound sketchy to you?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Not only is it the norm, but it's the law.

For covered, nonexempt employees, the FLSA requires overtime pay at a rate of not less than one and one-half times an employee's regular rate of pay after 40 hours of work in a workweek. Some exceptions to the 40 hours per week standard apply under special circumstances to police officers and fire fighters employed by public agencies and to employees of hospitals and nursing homes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nick92

Forum Ride Along
Anything over 40 hours is overtime. Therefore time and half applies.

Why does this sound sketchy to you?

What I meant was. If I worked a 12 hour shift, I will only get base pay. No time and a half after 8 hours. Not sure if that's the norm.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
What I meant was. If I worked a 12 hour shift, I will only get base pay. No time and a half after 8 hours. Not sure if that's the norm.

If I'm on my first 24 of the week it's paid out at straight time for all 24 hours... Why would you get time and a half after 8 hours?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If I'm on my first 24 of the week it's paid out at straight time for all 24 hours... Why would you get time and a half after 8 hours?

I've heard of places (both EMS and retail) that pay time and a half for any time after your scheduled off time. A nice bonus, but certainly not the norm nor sketchy.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
As stated, definitely the norm. OT is after your 40 hours, as required by law. Not required after 8 hours, at least in NJ. Would be nice though, considering I work either 12's or 16's.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
he thinks this is sketchy because Kommiefornia has a standardized 8 hour work day, if your standard work week is 5x8 and you work over 8 in one day or 40 in the week you get 1.5x pay. however since you agreed to a non-standard schedule when you started at this company the 8 hour rule is null.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

Time and a half after 8 hours and double time for anything over 12 hours is really nice :cool:

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
We get time and a half after 40 hours in a week. Double time on official company holidays (Thanksgiving day, Christmas Day, New Years Day).

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
we get time and a half after 40 hours.

They have us on a 3 12 hour day work week. 36 hours. This way they have a 4 hour buffer in case you get held over for a late call or something.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Why should you be paid OT for anything under 40 hours in a week? I don't get the question.

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
We get time and a half after 8 or after 40 hrs but no double stacking-so if you work 4 40's its time and a half hours 9 and 10 all 4 days but on the 5th day if you work a 10 then the first 40 is reg time and the last 10 hours of the 5th day is all time and a half. It works for me. =)
btw it is PRN in LA, California

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
In California the wage and hour laws are different then most other states. Most ambulance companies operate on the alternate workweek schedule. This schedule is typically a four day 10hr work week. However it is also able to be used to get around the after 8hrs time and a half, after 12hrs double time. Thus you can have a employee work two 24hr shifts a week and only have to pay the double time for the last 8hrs of the 48hr workweek.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I didn't know that.

In NV if you make less than 150% of minimum wage and you're PRN you get OT after 8 hours, other than that it's time and a half after 40 in a week. Our PRN Intermediates used to get the OT after 8 pay scale but after company-wide raises I don't know if they do anymore or not.

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
I didn't know that.

In NV if you make less than 150% of minimum wage and you're PRN you get OT after 8 hours, other than that it's time and a half after 40 in a week. Our PRN Intermediates used to get the OT after 8 pay scale but after company-wide raises I don't know if they do anymore or not.

"PRN" is the company name not per diem. If that helps in understanding