Time and a half pay

linziclip

Forum Probie
We get time and a half after 8 or after 40 hrs but no double stacking-so if you work 4 40's its time and a half hours 9 and 10 all 4 days but on the 5th day if you work a 10 then the first 40 is reg time and the last 10 hours of the 5th day is all time and a half. It works for me. =)
btw it is PRN in LA, California

Just got hired at PRN, and happened to stumble across this thread. Yeah, I like the OT after 8 hours. Any other tips about the company before I start work ? :)

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
In California the wage and hour laws are different then most other states. Most ambulance companies operate on the alternate workweek schedule. This schedule is typically a four day 10hr work week. However it is also able to be used to get around the after 8hrs time and a half, after 12hrs double time. Thus you can have a employee work two 24hr shifts a week and only have to pay the double time for the last 8hrs of the 48hr workweek.
This is basically the deal. Basically, if there's no agreement other than hourly wage, straight time first 8, OT from 8-12, DT 12+ per day. Also, OT applies >40 hrs/week, or any work >6 days/week regardless of PT or FT status. Many companies bring you on and tell you about the alternate work week schedule of 4/10's, and OT only >10 hrs/day *unless on a 24, or straight time to 40 hrs. Some places tell you because they do really odd scheduling, they're straight time to 40 hours period.

It's really not that big of a deal unless they refuse to pay you OT after 40 clock hours.