The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
Where are you in medic school?

I went to NCTI in riverside. I just finished clinicals and should be getting a preceptor in about 2-3 weeks.

AtalantaAsh

Forum Probie
Hiya, I'm Jenn. I live in Texas. I've been a EMT-B for about a year now, but have only been working for 5-6 months now. Any tips for a noob out in the big work world? lol

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
I went to NCTI in riverside. I just finished clinicals and should be getting a preceptor in about 2-3 weeks.

Ah ok - someone at my work was/is going to NCTI as well....I think he is in his field internship. I am a Mt. SAC student here!

train54

Forum Crew Member
Hi I'm Bryan

Hello everybody! My name is Bryan. I'm 30 years old and I currently live in Oceanside California. I've tried my hand at many things, only to fail or be unhappy. I have always told myself that I want to do something that where I can help people and make a positive impact in their lives. I came to the conclusion a little over a year ago that one of the best ways that I could do that is to become a fire fighter...

So I set out to get my EMT basic class done last fall, and between then and now I have passed the NREMT and became EMT certified with San Diego county. I am just now getting serious about finding an EMS job. I have applied to about 8 places in the last week or two, but have not heard back from anyone of these places yet...

I am wondering if anyone has any advice for me as far as getting started finding my first EMS job? Or if anyone knows of any EMT or EMT Tech positions in the North/South San Diego county, Orange county, or Los Angeles county areas?

Porkchop

Forum Crew Member
Hi Bryan, welcome to the forums.

Keep doing what you're doing. Apply everywhere, interview everywhere, accept the first job you get offered. It's tough in SD, I also went through EMT school last fall, and am still unemployed. If it's been a week or 2, you might want to start calling the places you applied to follow up.

There's also a lot of threads here about first jobs, and about getting a job in San Diego. Those can be helpful.

Good luck.

chrispy06

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone!

Hi there everyone,

My name is Chris, and I've been an EMT on and off for about 8 years now. Mostly I volunteer in a tiny town that has very few calls, but at one point I worked some paid EMS too. These days I'm volunteering and going to grad school, looking to get into Emergency Management as the next big thing.

Looking forward to sharing ideas with and learning from everyone here.

FMXEMT

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone,

My name is Mike. Been a EMT Basic for a little over 6 months now. Did some Ski Patrol work before that. Now I am looking for some work around the San Diego area to get my time in for Paramedic school. My cousin is a Fire captain and my family has a long history of Police and EMS work. Any other questions feel free to ask.

CowboyMedic

Forum Probie
James 21 y/o
Just got my NREMT-B July1st Still waiting on Austin for my state certs.
Went to UTSW Medical in Dallas for my EMT looking at Paramedic there in October. VOL with DFD til I get me some experience and a J.O.B.

WVEmt

Forum Crew Member
I'm Thomas. I'm 25 and so far i have my EMT-B and CNA certs. Planning on going for RN then medic, and then one day critical care. Currently working at a 911 and ift company and waiting for the state to process my reciprocity. Have been waiting almost 14 weeks now:sad:. Been reading emtlife for awhile now and figured it was as good as time as any to join. So here I am

Jello

Forum Ride Along
Hey EMTLife!

My name is Angelo and I'm about to start my EMT-B course at CCSF in San Francisco. I quit my desk job at the beginning of this year looking for something that would keep me active, learning and helping people out. I'm really excited about trying something so new. After I get certified I'm going to try and find a 911 job nearby and keep taking some fire science tech classes with the ultimate goal of being in the fire service -- but I'll worry about that when I get there. I'm also considering becoming a paramedic... but again, that's a while away now.

I'll take this time now to thank you all in advance for all things you will undoubtedly help me with throughout this course. :rolleyes:

See you around!

AtlantaEMT

Forum Crew Member
I've posted some but

I guess I'll introduce myself properly.

Right now I am currently only 50% an EMT-I. I did my practicals last Saturday and passed all 4 and am waiting for my authorization to test for the computer.

My background
For years I moved pool tables and that was a crappy job which the IRS is currently bugging me about. Nothing like getting 1099d at 18years old and no concept of consequence. But whatever I'm trying to take care of it. I finally quit pool table work at 23 and decided I wanted to do something with my life since I haven't died like I thought I would by then. A buddy of mine was a flight paramedic and his gf was a radiology tech and talked to them about it. I decided to go for Radiology Tech and started getting my core classes done. I finished up with A&P 2 last spring and decided for summer to take a 5week EMT-I class. It was tough and very fast but I enjoyed it a ton and also decided I didn't want to do Rad Tech becuase it looks crazy boring (I know the pay is better).

I hope to in 6months to a year to join the Air Force and do something medical in there. I wouldn't mind doing Pararescue but I'm not quite in shape for that and it takes a 6year commitment. But I found some other EMT or Nurse based positions that I really like and will try for.

I'd like to eventually advance to a flight nurse/paramedic or possibly become a PA and maybe even a doc.

My main reason here is to learn everything I can about the EMS field. And to BS and lie some.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
James 21 y/o
Went to UTSW Medical in Dallas for my EMT looking at Paramedic there in October. VOL with DFD til I get me some experience and a J.O.B.

UTSW Med Centre/Med School at Dallas /Parkland is one of the finest teaching and trauma facilities in the world however ironically, thier Paramedic program is a thirty six week patch factory for barely homeostasising Dallas (and surrounding) Firefighters.

Dr Paul Pepe (BioTel Medical Director) is bloody awesome he is totally a great guy and very smart; he used to be the Medical Director for the Houston Fire Department back in the early 1990s

Anyway ....

Brown has decided if things go well with this very nice girl he has met that he will marry her, do they make an orange jumpsuit with "GROOM" written on the back in big green letters? :p

Also my alternate personality is leaking every where .... Lifeguard November niner zero one november bravo request direct foxtrot mike golf thereafter vectoring for GPS 34 to four sierra delta, standard missed approach thence direct india november delta if able and refile for flight level three seven zero.

... sounds like I had a stroke or something :D

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Aw poo my bad i thought this was the 100% directionless thread, where i meant to post this ... my bad :D

Combat_Medic

Forum Crew Member
Hello all

I guess I'll tell about my experience and myself.
-Vol. Fire Dept.: Joined at 18 and the dept paid for my first EMT-B class in 2003
-Pvt Service: Worked for a pvt. company doing transports for 1 1/2 yrs
-Pvt Service 911: Then switched to a pvt service running 911 and transports for 1 yr. While at this service I got in a bad wreck. We rolled our truck doing 55 MPH. After that I had trouble getting back in the truck. Decided I needed a change. I worked as a emt/guard while I went to college. Got a good job at the a steel mill and let my cert expire. I worked there for 2 yrs and got laid off. Thats when I decided to join the army. Had to take the EMT-B class all over again. Now I'm a medic stationed in Korea.

Jello

Forum Ride Along
Hey EMTLife!

My name is Angelo and I'm about to start my EMT-B course at CCSF in San Francisco. I quit my desk job at the beginning of this year looking for something that would keep me active, learning and helping people out. I'm really excited about trying something so new. After I get certified I'm going to try and find a 911 job nearby and keep taking some fire science tech classes with the ultimate goal of being in the fire service -- but I'll worry about that when I get there. I'm also considering becoming a paramedic... but again, that's a while away now.

I'll take this time now to thank you all in advance for all things you will undoubtedly help me with throughout this course. :rolleyes:

See you around!

Quick update to my introduction:

So I originally thought I would be getting into the EMT course at CCSF but as it turns out so did 40 other people and unfortunately I got sent home. Luckily, since I am dedicated to becoming an EMT, I had prepared a backup plan and actually got into the EMT course at Skyline College. We had our first lecture today and tomorrow we have our first lab: lifting and moving the patient. I'm pretty excited to put on my EMS pants and my "EMT Student" shirt for the first time!

KY_EMT

Forum Crew Member
Hey all, I'm Hannah. 21 years old. Working as an EMT-Basic here in Eastern Kentucky, have been for the past 8 months. Been an EMT for 8 months, too :) Hopefully I'll be going on and becoming a Paramedic, as well as getting into Law Enforcement someday. If everything keeps going well, I'll soon be doing volunteer firefighting. :) Nice to meet you all.

the Happy Medic

Forum Probie
Hi there

My name is Justin Schorr and I'm a Paramedic in San Francisco.

I've been taking people to the hospital for almost half my life, the last 15 with any real interest in what it meant aside from just movign folks back and forth.

Along the way, got some fancy letters behind my name, some paper on the wall, but still tell bad jokes to dialysis patients early in the morning.

I'm new to the forum, so if you see me breaking the rules, please let me know. I already goofed and put my email in my first post. oops.

I'll post more about my hobbies and interests in EMS after I settle in.

Stay safe,
justin

Sendou

Forum Ride Along
Hello All,

My name is Jun and I'm basically moving back towards something more in line with my original goals. Over the years, I basically got funneled into working technical/IT jobs. In the back of my mind I always knew that despite the good pay and me being naturally good at computers, it's not what I wanted to do. My childhood dream job was always Firefighting, but realistically I can see myself being satisfied as an EMT-P with hopes of becoming a Flight Medic.

Right now I'm just enrolled in the local community college and I've been trying to get into the EMT course for the past couple semesters but it's been full before my registration date ever opens up. Hoping to obtain a late add this semester, if not.. then next semester I'll try again.

Oh, and I'm a bit of a forum lurker. :p Tend to read more than I speak, but I'll be sure to try and contribute once I've actually got some experience and knowledge under my belt. Been reading these forums for quite a while but I got sidetracked off my goals this past year with IT Job offers that were just too good to pass up.

So here I am once again and the next time I post it will hopefully be celebrating my actual certification.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hepinghand

Forum Probie
My name is Chris live in nj. I am a firefighter/EMT-B. Before I got my EMT-B I was a First Responder for about 6 years.I was in my earlier 30s when i passed the EMT-B class but could not pass the NREMT. So I took a break and finally this past june I past the nj state test on the first try. :)

MylesC

Forum Probie
Hey everyone-
Randomly found this page its pretty cool (Just to throw it out there)
Im an EMT-B
Finished up with my CPT (Phlebotomy) course and am waiting on all this state paperwork.
Done volunteering with fire departments and actually on part (2) of my Santa Clara County Fire test this week.
My house burned down about 5 years ago while I was home. After that it made me want to get into fire.
The medical system is really was intrigues me though. I just want to deliver the best service with the best compassion.

I grew up in Santa Cruz, Ca and recently moved to East bay (san Fran) area and currently I also work as a prep cook and in the bar in Berkeley
Major hobbie is training in martial arts - Wushu, Kickboxing, American Boxing, MMA (trained in beijing, China last summer) which preoccupies me for about 20 hours a week.
Life is great and look forward to being more apart of this group

:ph34r: