the 100% directionless thread

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
A degree means you had the time and money to invest and were good at learning a text book

Sounds like you have never taken a nursing school exam, you can know the text book in and out and still fail the test lol Most schools have moved to cognitive based testing for all exams much like state board exams are. This involves a lot of critical thinking questions and scenarios, very little is memorized information from a text book. Each semester our final exams are computer tests called HESIs which are standardized kind of like the ACT/PSAT but only over one area. The teachers have no idea what topics or information will be on them and you may have half the test on information you have never heard of or studied.

I totally agree that there are good and bad practioners at every level however I do not see that as a argument that degrees are not an important part of advancing and maintaining a practioner's proficiency.

This comment is not made to offend anyone but I sure it will: this is one of those arguments that will never really be won because the two sides will never meet in the middle. The people who have a higher degree with always argue the importance of such to justify the time and money they spent and to increase their worth while the people without will always try to down play higher degrees usefulness or worth to justify not obtaining one and to avoid decreasing their value as a provider. It's just a difference of opinion and attitude, nothing really wrong with either side.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Its not that easy becoming a Dr., there is a lot of steps , First, get a near perfect grade in all Bio chem ochem physics calculus and biochem and have a bachelors then take your mcats, before applying you must have research experience, volunteer experience, and must obtain 3 letters of recommendations, one from a Dr. That you've work for, and 2 from professors, after you've got all that done now you can apply for medical school, which is 5 years, after completing medical school you have to complete residency which may take 3-7 years depending on the field of interest .... compare alllllllll that education and experience to nurse program, a masters in nursing takes less time than an MD.

There is no "must" for research and volunteer. Highly recommended? Yes. However even with those "must" is a little too strong. Similarly, one of the LORs does not necessarily have to come from a physician. The MCAT is taken during undergrad (for traditional applicants), not after graduation. Finally, medical school is 4 years, not 5.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Todays task list:

Show up, sign narcs, check truck, eat breakfast, take nap.

Seems legit. ;)

medic417

The Truth Provider
Its not that easy becoming a Dr., there is a lot of steps , First, get a near perfect grade in all Bio chem ochem physics calculus and biochem and have a bachelors then take your mcats, before applying you must have research experience, volunteer experience, and must obtain 3 letters of recommendations, one from a Dr. That you've work for, and 2 from professors, after you've got all that done now you can apply for medical school, which is 5 years, after completing medical school you have to complete residency which may take 3-7 years depending on the field of interest .... compare alllllllll that education and experience to nurse program, a masters in nursing takes less time than an MD.

Wow why do it the hard way. Go spend a few months on a tropical island. Get licenseded there. Use study guides/coaches. Pass USA exams. Get License. Easy. ;)

heatherabel3

Forum Lieutenant
I do agree that a higher level of education is important and I don't think people should ever stop trying to learn. That wasn't what I was saying at all. My point was that just because a person hasn't been able to get their Masters yet should not count them out as a good provider and by assuming that they are second rate because of the letters behind their name may leave you missing out on someone who really could have helped you.

8jimi8

CFRN
I do agree that a higher level of education is important and I don't think people should ever stop trying to learn. That wasn't what I was saying at all. My point was that just because a person hasn't been able to get their Masters yet should not count them out as a good provider and by assuming that they are second rate because of the letters behind their name may leave you missing out on someone who really could have helped you.

What You implied was that people with Degrees have money to burn. Then You went on to state that you would let a fire chief do abdominal surgery on you.
I paid for all of the letters behind my name I'll go up against your fire chief in any type of medical showdown, cause I'm betting I know jusssst a little but more than him, in that arena.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Time to get back off topic before I lock this topic.:ph34r:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Time to get back off topic before I lock this topic.:ph34r:

orly.jpg

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
If you have not tried this stuff yet you are missing out. I put this :censored::censored::censored::censored: on everything

sriracha-bottles.jpg

medic417

The Truth Provider

Joe

Forum Captain
Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
If you have not tried this stuff yet you are missing out. I put this :censored::censored::censored::censored: on everything

sriracha-bottles.jpg

Oh yeah!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Don't make me break out my super undercover ninja mod powers.:lol:

You've been a super secret ninja mod for less than 3 minutes and you already told everyone? You've hereby been officially demoted to forum sub probie for your lack of discretion.

The other CLs told me the super secret ninja mod program was a bad idea but did I listen?

medic417

The Truth Provider
You've been a super secret ninja mod for less than 3 minutes and you already told everyone? You've hereby been officially demoted to forum sub probie for your lack of discretion.

The other CLs told me the super secret ninja mod program was a bad idea but did I listen?

What? Wait? Why did my buttons dissappear? :eek:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Dibs! You don't carry your own personal defibrillator at all times? You need to step your game up.

You best protect your neck, too.

By purchasing a personal C-collar to carry at all times.