the 100% directionless thread

Nope... I got an 80% on their exam. I have a conditional offer with Hall in Bakersfield though, just wanting on my background check to go through.

Angel

Paramedic
That sucks. But congrats on hall! I interviewed there a couple months ago and got the big no thanks...

That sucks. But congrats on hall! I interviewed there a couple months ago and got the big no thanks...
Thanks, I have a tentative start date of October 7th. Had my 2nd interview this past Thursday and did my drug test/physical/lift test the same day.

i finally got my badge at work!! start training next week, been a LONG time coming.

I'm guessing a Metro Fire badge! Congrats!

no no! i wish!
its for another medic job, metro is probably a year away if i do get picked up.
Congrats either way! Where did you get picked up at?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
no no! i wish!
its for another medic job, metro is probably a year away if i do get picked up.

I heard that academy is absolutely over the top brutal. Good luck! Congrats on the badge!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Command center set up next door at the fire station... National Guard, DPS, Midland and Odessa Fire, CBP, and other agencies all present. It's a great week for a flood.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
e65f50c26626aa1374f258871e8e32ce.jpg

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Well first day of medic school over. Head already hurts. Time for a nap then back to reading!

Angel

Paramedic
Well first day of medic school over. Head already hurts. Time for a nap then back to reading!

hah, it doesnt really get any better. clinicals it becomes 'fun' but (for me at least) the stress is always there until you find out you passed your internship. licensing is a whole other story

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
In the past few weeks I have had two people younger than me die and I don't even remember them, they just blur into all the other patients and are soon forgotten.

Once again I had a piecemeal series of breaks yesterday and finished over an hour late.

Interrupt my lunch break or make me finish late and I will remember you (for that day or the at most, the next two) but if I respond to you and yo die well then you're not as important I guess ... if you're younger than me and die I might remember you when somebody asks me about what things I have seen that stick in my head.

I look at my watch and see that I have to be up in a number of hours that is far too small to do it all again. I am annoyed by the fact that I finished late and won't get a decent break between shifts. Never mind the patient who died or what her family will have to deal with for the rest of their lives.

I know I offered real and significant comfort to the family yet when I go home I am comforted only by the warmth of my bed and the pillow I bury under the sheets with me/

The rationale of the world I do not think I will ever understand, and I wonder if it's really a good idea to do so anyway. It's not very Clare you could say ... pun intended.

I think I might have a mental health day perhaps. I will see how I feel when I wake up.

Good night.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Got a new "toy" today.

Yay for home cervical traction....this thing looks like a torture device.

Jason

Medic
In the past few weeks I have had two people younger than me die and I don't even remember them, they just blur into all the other patients and are soon forgotten.

Once again I had a piecemeal series of breaks yesterday and finished over an hour late.

Interrupt my lunch break or make me finish late and I will remember you (for that day or the at most, the next two) but if I respond to you and yo die well then you're not as important I guess ... if you're younger than me and die I might remember you when somebody asks me about what things I have seen that stick in my head.

I look at my watch and see that I have to be up in a number of hours that is far too small to do it all again. I am annoyed by the fact that I finished late and won't get a decent break between shifts. Never mind the patient who died or what her family will have to deal with for the rest of their lives.

I know I offered real and significant comfort to the family yet when I go home I am comforted only by the warmth of my bed and the pillow I bury under the sheets with me/

The rationale of the world I do not think I will ever understand, and I wonder if it's really a good idea to do so anyway. It's not very Clare you could say ... pun intended.

I think I might have a mental health day perhaps. I will see how I feel when I wake up.

Good night.

Hope you got some sleep.
Breaks are definitely needed between shifts.
I understand, not being able to remember. I'm sad when I think back and can't remember patients. Sometimes I remember calls/cases for dumb reasons and not about the patient himself/herself. I wonder if it's because the time you're in the field gets to be long enough calls/cases just run together. I wish I could remember those that died. Maybe it's a way for us to deal with the loss of life. Kinda like many of us use humor to deal with hard cases/calls.
As for mental days ... everyone needs one from time to time.
I hope things get better.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Got my schedule for medic internship today and my first day was supposed to be Monday. As soon as I got home my preceptor called me and asked if I want to work tomorrow with him. Looks like I may be done with my hours before December comes.

MrJones

Iconoclast
Got my schedule for medic internship today and my first day was supposed to be Monday. As soon as I got home my preceptor called me and asked if I want to work tomorrow with him. Looks like I may be done with my hours before December comes.
Is your program emphasizing hours (how many?) or contacts (again, how many?)?

Enquiring minds want to know :D

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Is your program emphasizing hours (how many?) or contacts (again, how many?)?

Enquiring minds want to know :D
600 hours. If we get extended then it's 720 hours.
40 ALS patient contacts (a patient that I do an ALS treatment on).
20 continued care patients (I have to be first on scene, do an ALS treatment on them, and hand them off directly to the hospital).

MrJones

Iconoclast
600 hours. If we get extended then it's 720 hours.
40 ALS patient contacts (a patient that I do an ALS treatment on).
20 continued care patients (I have to be first on scene, do an ALS treatment on them, and hand them off directly to the hospital).

I'm always fascinated by the differences in requirements between programs. For instance, my program wanted us to get 500 hours or more, but we had to get 75 ALS contacts (defined as performing an ALS assessment and at least 2 paramedic-level skills).