the 100% directionless thread

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
The billing hoops that ambulances jump through (ie "magic words") is nothing compared to the hoops hospitals jump through. Yes, I helped admit a patient today for "metabolic encephalopathy" because the patient ODed on the patient's Ambian. Similarly, it's not CHF, but "acute on chronic systolic/diastolic heart failure."

That's why I laugh at 90% of the "my boss is doing illegal stuff" threads. If magic words get people thrown in jail than every healthcare entity is in trouble....

SSwain

Forum Captain
So...Obama care stands pretty much "as is"...
I wonder what the Holder Contempt vote will bring today.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
One of my coworkers and friends was in a car wreck this morning on his way to work.

He died at the hospital. 20 years old.

Good grief. It's all just so stupid. Hard to see the point on days like this.

SSwain

Forum Captain
One of my coworkers and friends was in a car wreck this morning on his way to work.

Damn...sorry to hear that.

Anjel

Forum Angel

I am so sorry to hear this.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, his family, and your coworkers.

Only the good die young.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief

So sad to hear.

Thoughts and prayers with you guys.

Same thing happened to a medic from my hometown last week. Very hard to understand at times.

Epi-do

I see dead people

So sorry to hear this! Thoughts and prayers to all who knew him.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

I'm very sorry to hear that :(

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

I'm so sorry to hear this. Y'all are all in my prayers.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Oh no.

My thoughts are with you, your department and his family :(

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
That sucks.

armywifeemt

Forum Lieutenant
I'm very sorry this has happened. Pardon if this seems in any way insensitive to such a fresh wound but... Mourn the loss, remember the friend, push on and do your best to help someone survive another day... I became an EMT because of the loss of a few good friends... the knowledge that someone showed up and did their damnedest to try to save them, even though they were not successful, was enough to give me some peace... Even when we can't do anything, we bring peace to the loved ones of the people we try to help. A great deal of what we do is psychological in my opinion. Losses of our own can be reminders to always treat with dignity, compassion, and a sense of purpose, because the person in front of us is the loved one of someone else.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Sorry to hear about that abck. Hearing about people my age passing away is hard to hear.

Going to be getting a chest x-ray, blood draws, other lab work, and a 24 hour cardiac monitor to hopefully find out what is going on with my stupid cough. :wacko:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I'm very sorry this has happened. Pardon if this seems in any way insensitive to such a fresh wound but... Mourn the loss, remember the friend, push on and do your best to help someone survive another day... I became an EMT because of the loss of a few good friends... the knowledge that someone showed up and did their damnedest to try to save them, even though they were not successful, was enough to give me some peace... Even when we can't do anything, we bring peace to the loved ones of the people we try to help. A great deal of what we do is psychological in my opinion. Losses of our own can be reminders to always treat with dignity, compassion, and a sense of purpose, because the person in front of us is the loved one of someone else.

I do EMS in my rural hometown. It's ALWAYS someone I know.

The past couple of weeks have been hard hitting, but I always tell people I'm sorry they need us, but I'm glad it was me that got to help them.

We press on. It was right at shift change, so the whole crews from two stations responded. Hubby and I are staffing an engine today while a ton of people are hanging out and talking at the other station.

They can climb back on tomorrow.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Dammit, I was supposed to get my STi back from the body shop tomorrow, but turns out I need a new transmission now. :/

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Dammit, I was supposed to get my STi back from the body shop tomorrow, but turns out I need a new transmission now. :/

Geez dude you hit that tree hard.

Still not totaled? Hoping for a speedy recovery of Ol' Blue!

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Geez dude you hit that tree hard.

Still not totaled? Hoping for a speedy recovery of Ol' Blue!

Thing is that I didn't even hit a tree, I just went into a ditch, over a crossroad and into another ditch...total rally status.

But yeah, I just miss Mr. Scoobody so much.

JPINFV

Gadfly
For the "EMS reports aren't read by he hospital" crowd, during morning report today we discused a patient who was ALOC due to hypoglycemia that was treated successfully by paramedics. Whether we could document hypoglycemia or not came down to whether the EMS crew documented hypoglycemia since the hypoglycemia had to be documented by someone with a license documented the hypoglycemia.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

I'm very sorry to hear this. I know this has been a very tough year for you. Please know that all of us here at EMTLIFE count you as a good friend and our thought's are with you and the family of your coworker.