the 100% directionless thread

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I don't have an issue with taking off the gown. But they want it all of including the gloves on. So I end up using 3-4 pairs of gloves for one simple IFT.

Kind of like how some of the local urgent cares want us to come in the back door instead of the front as to avoid making people think medical emergencies actually happen.

Some days I just don't care and go in the door I want... like the ones where the "shortness of breath" or "chest pain", is out in the waiting area, conveniently near closing time.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Kind of like how some of the local urgent cares want us to come in the back door instead of the front as to avoid making people think medical emergencies actually happen.

Some days I just don't care and go in the door I want... like the ones where the "shortness of breath" or "chest pain", is out in the waiting area, conveniently near closing time.

Those get a full lights and siren response right to the front door. :)

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
4 more shifts then Im off for nearly 2 weeks on vacay to Virginia and DC.

Im gonna be in DC for July 4th. That should be fun.

I just got back from DC it's a very cool town. I had an awesome tour guide though :)

bigbaldguy

I don't have an issue with taking off the gown. But they want it all of including the gloves on. So I end up using 3-4 pairs of gloves for one simple IFT.

Bummer they make you buy your own gloves? ;)

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
During a verbal sim today I accidentally asked if I would be able to establish vaginal access for fluid resuscitation.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Bummer they make you buy your own gloves? ;)

Heck no haha. Work supplies me with everything I need and more (thank you evil empire). It just makes it a pain in the butt to put on and take off that many gloves.

bigbaldguy

Heck no haha. Work supplies me with everything I need and more (thank you evil empire). It just makes it a pain in the butt to put on and take off that many gloves.

You could just put all three pairs on at once then peel them off as you go :)

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
During a verbal sim today I accidentally asked if I would be able to establish vaginal access for fluid resuscitation.

:unsure:
:rofl:
*snort, sniffle, fall to floor*
What was the reaction to that one?

bigbaldguy

Awesome awesome awesome pick up line.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

:rofl:

Well we all know what was on your mind haha

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Toes stepped on and feelings hurt. And I've been working for 4 hours so far. This is gonna be a great night

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
officially 1 year in EMS today and I finally got to do CPR. sadly I was in such an awkward position to avoid sitting in blood that my back hurts. firemen get a high five from now on

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Lucas device = no CPR for me. :)

Big benefit as an ALS provider.

Fire = no CPR for me ;) even at the ILS level unless we are on scene first.

I may or may not have just deleted 90% of the mp3 files off my computer by accident...trying to clear space and it said they were duplicates now nothing in iTunes will play.

Wow. Good thing 95% of them weren't actually purchased from iTunes.

bigbaldguy

I'm getting tired of the drive so I think I might show around for a new volly outfit, anyone hav any suggestion?

JPINFV

Gadfly
The billing hoops that ambulances jump through (ie "magic words") is nothing compared to the hoops hospitals jump through. Yes, I helped admit a patient today for "metabolic encephalopathy" because the patient ODed on the patient's Ambian. Similarly, it's not CHF, but "acute on chronic systolic/diastolic heart failure."

Last edited by a moderator:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
NVRob, you can recover it. When you delete a file on your computer, you don't really delete it forever, even if you (re)install an operating system on it. What you really do is destroy the link between the file and it's binary. On GNU/Linux, you can recover your file using `dd'. Some people have written user friendly programs to recover files (e.g. ForeMost). You'll likely need to use a LiveCD. I'd recommend looking into it. Try to minimize what you do on your computer, especially anything that will write to your hard drive e.g. making a word document, downloading more music, etc. If you write to your hard drive, it could write over that memory since there is no link from the filesystem, the thing that organizes the memory for your files. The filesystem will create a new link and write over that binary.

Since there is no link for that memory, `dd', or other programs used to recover those files, will at random recover your files. Some of those user friendly programs can recognize and copy over files based on type (since the same type of files will usually have some special patterns that make it that certain file). The files will likely have random names since the filesystem is responsible for remembering the name of the file too. Since it has to look through every bit, it can take a very long time looking through your hard drive also.

If use `dd', be very careful using it. Make sure the guide you follow is legit, not written by a troll, that you understand what you are doing. `dd' is used to edit raw material from your hard drive, edit every little bit. People use this program to erase very important material from their hard drive if they plan on selling it or are paranoid about the government recovering it, they'll change every bit to 0, "zero out" their hard drive.

I wish I could help you more, but I cannot give you my LiveCD of GNU/Linux (unless I mail it, but it would be easier for both of us if you created one).

It's likely Windows may have a program to recover it too, but I am very unfamiliar with Windows.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
NVRob, you can recover it. When you delete a file on your computer, you don't really delete it forever, even if you (re)install an operating system on it. What you really do is destroy the link between the file and it's binary. On GNU/Linux, you can recover your file using `dd'. Some people have written user friendly programs to recover files (e.g. ForeMost). You'll likely need to use a LiveCD. I'd recommend looking into it. Try to minimize what you do on your computer, especially anything that will write to your hard drive e.g. making a word document, downloading more music, etc. If you write to your hard drive, it could write over that memory since there is no link from the filesystem, the thing that organizes the memory for your files. The filesystem will create a new link and write over that binary.

Since there is no link for that memory, `dd', or other programs used to recover those files, will at random recover your files. Some of those user friendly programs can recognize and copy over files based on type (since the same type of files will usually have some special patterns that make it that certain file). The files will likely have random names since the filesystem is responsible for remembering the name of the file too.

I wish I could help you more, but I cannot give you my LiveCD of GNU/Linux (unless I mail it, but it would be easier for both of us if you created one).

It's likely Windows may have a program to recover it too, but I am very unfamiliar with Windows.

Thanks for the heads up. It's a Macbook.. You went way over my head with Linux/GNU and what not :lol:

It's going into the Apple store tomorrow anyways to hopefully get the sound card fixed so maybe they can retrieve it. At the same time I'm tempted to ask that they save my documents, movies and photos and just wipe the whole computer and restore it to factory settings so I can just start over.