Suggestions on how to prepare for the physical strength test for EMT-B?

xshellyx

Forum Probie
Hello. So I just got my NREMT-B, and now Im starting to apply at private ambulance companies. They all require some sort of physical strength test before being hired, such as dead lift with a patient on the gurney, walking up stairs with 90 lbs, etc.

Im a 21 year old girl, 5'7 and 125 lbs.....I work out often, but Im really afraid Im not going to be able to pass the test. Lots of people say that this is where girls fail the most. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to work out to succeed in these tests, or any specific exercises to do, recommended protein powders or helpful hints? I dont want to get super buff, just stronger. It would be much appreciated!

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant
First of all, you don't need any "protein powder" to pass these simple physical examinations!

I am 130 pounds dripping wet. There are many fairly petite female EMTs that work at my ambulance service. The key is proper lifting technique: lift with your legs, keep your back straight, etc.

Since you are already working out, if you are really concerned, focus on upper body/lower back exercises.

atropine

Forum Captain
Who do you plan on working for?, not all companies require a test.

OP
OP
X

xshellyx

Forum Probie
Thank you, i will focus more on lifting techniques and those exercises :)

And Im planning on working for either Care Ambulance or AMR. I know for a fact that Care has a strict physical test, but Im not sure on AMR.

Also, does anyone know where I can buy one of those weighted vests? I think that may help as well.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey, no reason to not work on developing strength. You don't want to get in shape just for the test. Stay in shape for the sake of your patients and partners.

I really enjoyed Pilates as a way to develop my core. I found that it gave me better posture and overall strength. Don't forget your core!

Of course, weight training is awesome. People work their biceps, triceps, back, legs, etc, but I rarely see people doing much, if anything, for their forearms, wrists and hands. While I was really active in SAR, I found that doing dumbbell wrist curls and reverse dumbbell wrist curls helped me grip the litter better and helped me lift heavy loads. I also bought a rubber donut grip trainer, threw it in my purse and squeezed regularly to develop a stronger grip and hand strength. Dumbbell Shoulder presses. Dumbbell shrugs for strong Traps. Don't leave any weak links the chain.

DO SQUATS. With weight, of course, and properly.

Other random exercises I've used and loved are incline and decline pushups, tricep dips, kickbacks, bent over row, lat pull downs, crunches on a ball, vertical leg hip raise, lying twists, seated row, leg presses on a sled, hip abduction, hip adduction, dumbbell lunges, ball leg curls, seated leg curls, sled calf presses

My boyfriend loves kettlebells. They give him great results. I'm not too in to them yet because there's a bit of a learning curve.

Bloom-IUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Im a 21 year old girl, 5'7 and 125 lbs.

Hey there ;) You can practice lifting me :p

But seriously free weights free weights free weights. Deadlift, squats, bicep curls. Anything that mimics lifting a person and I would say focus more on leg strength than anything else. That is the problem I have; my legs give out real quick when I have to lift a heavy person.

spinnakr

Forum Lieutenant
Hey there ;) You can practice lifting me :p

But seriously free weights free weights free weights. Deadlift, squats, bicep curls. Anything that mimics lifting a person and I would say focus more on leg strength than anything else. That is the problem I have; my legs give out real quick when I have to lift a heavy person.

Socal's a little ways away from IU... :p
I would echo most of what's been said already - forearms, wrists, and hands to be sure - but above all, core and legs.

You'll actually notice that running gets easier with a stronger core, and you'll breathe better. CAREFULLY improving back strength (along with abs) can also be a very important part in preventing injury.

imurphy

Forum Captain
Steriods. Stay competitive like the athletes!

Ok, in reality, in line with your strength techniques above, look at your body mechanics. A LOT of what we do is based on lifting correctly. And this isn't just for the test, its for life. Remember, you will be out of a job for life if you blow out your back.

Also remember "Just say no". If you don;t think you can safely lift something, call for backup.

OP
OP
X

xshellyx

Forum Probie
haha thanks guys! Ive been lifting a bit, and trying to run or swim everyday to strengthen my core. Thanks for the direct links to the exercises as well :)

And yes, Socal is a little far from IU :p