Should this have blown up the way it did?

medickat

Forum Crew Member
http://theithacan.org/22183

Because of what is written in this article, the kid has been suspended from his squad until an investigation has been completed. According to the facebook page of the squad, the article was published without the knowledge of any of the officers (which sounds iffy, considering one of the officers is quoted).

It sounds to me like he's just a sparky kid who embellishes his stories for attention. While I'm not condoning that in any way, I just wanted to know what everyone else's opinion was.

Anjel

Forum Angel
He's a tool.

He has the Hero complex going on.

He can drive really fast and get covered in gross things, and SAVE LIVES!

Whoop de fricken doo.

And if he really is going 100 in an ambulance, someone needs to take notice to that little issue.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
He's a tool.

Whoop de fricken doo.

And if he really is going 100 in an ambulance, someone needs to take notice to that little issue.

I was going to say he's very young, without good guidance, and unfortunately got an article written about him with too many quotes.

He should be embarassed, and has probably learned a lesson about talking to reporters by now. I would not be surprised to hear that the reporter was a friend of his, or a friend-of-a-friend. I would hope he has at least that much of a filter, that he wouldn't have talked like this to just anybody with a notepad and a camera.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I would also imagine many of his quotes were slightly inflated. As Dana said, hopefully he learned a lesson.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
1. This is a college paper human interest story, which likely explains the quality of the writing. This is what happens when someone who doesn't know how to do interviews talks to someone who has never been interviewed before.

2. The kid is an idiot for talking to them without permission first, but I bet he didn't think it would be as big of a deal because it was a college paper.

3. All the people in the comments need to calm down. The paper is from a college campus 3 1/2 hours from where the kid works. I don't think anything he said technically qualifies as a HIPAA violation, although it wasn't very tasteful (see point 1 for why).

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
As already stated immaturity, mediocrity, and a complex and oft-misunderstood topic have collided in one poorly written article. No one wins.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
He's a tool.

Whoop de fricken doo.

I was going to say he's very young, without good guidance, and unfortunately got an article written about him with too many quotes.

He should be embarassed, and has probably learned a lesson about talking to reporters by now. I would not be surprised to hear that the reporter was a friend of his, or a friend-of-a-friend. I would hope he has at least that much of a filter, that he wouldn't have talked like this to just anybody with a notepad and a camera.

Yall summed up my thoughts.

After this he will probably have a few life lessons learned.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
He sounds like 99% of every other volunteer fire/ems person I have met trying to pick up girls/guys at the bar.

The only difference is it is in print.

The secret is out.

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
Definite hero complex on this one.

1) He has no business making himself sound like a one man ambulance/hospital combo.

2) He has no idea of his limits. And that's dangerous.

3) He's young, yeah. But the thing is, he's not using an ounce of tact or professionalism.

Should he catch hell? Absolutely. Especially from the EMS and medical community.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
“After that call, I knew I loved this stuff,” he said. “Going to the scene, lights and sirens, adrenaline’s pumping and you’re going there to help that person — even if it’s just a broken bone, you’re still making a difference.”

Hmm, '...even if it's just a broken bone', those of us in the know could tell him that even a broken bone is a) very painful b) can lead to blood loss etc...need I say more?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
He sounds like 99% of every other volunteer fire/ems person I have met trying to pick up girls/guys at the bar.

The only difference is it is in print.

The secret is out.

And how else am I supposed to talk to girls at the bar?!?!?!:rofl:

Seriously though most of those comments where in pretty poor taste. You don't have to work in EMS to figure that he sounds like a fool. Also, if I were to ever hit 100 in my ambulance I would never admit to it in print.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Seriously though most of those comments where in pretty poor taste. You don't have to work in EMS to figure that he sounds like a fool. Also, if I were to ever hit 100 in my ambulance I would never admit to it in print.

It is an exciting story for the masses, i suspect he will be a very successful politician some day.

Do you really think people don't see EMS providers as speeding through traffic with lights and sirens to be waist deep in blood and having witnessed such terrible and unspeakable horrors?

It probably works to get girls too.

BEorP

Forum Captain
I think he needs to spend more time reading and less time giving interviews so that he can stop perpetuating the myth of the "golden hour"...

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It is an exciting story for the masses, i suspect he will be a very successful politician some day.

Do you really think people don't see EMS providers as speeding through traffic with lights and sirens to be waist deep in blood and having witnessed such terrible and unspeakable horrors?

It probably works to get girls too.

It may be that the article is so poorly written that he just comes off poorly regardless of the content of his statements.

If I had a nickle for how many times I've disappointed someone with my answer to the "what's the worst thing you've ever seen?" I'd have enough money to cook a decent meal tomorrow I'd imagine.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
It may be that the article is so poorly written that he just comes off poorly regardless of the content of his statements.

If I had a nickle for how many times I've disappointed someone with my answer to the "what's the worst thing you've ever seen?" I'd have enough money to cook a decent meal tomorrow I'd imagine.

The worst things I have seen are not illnesses or injuries, but the way people treat other people.

ATrain

Forum Crew Member
That's how I get babes...

"Oh, yeah, I was totally going like 135 in the ambulance while I was reached back between the seats with my free hand doing CPR. Got a pulse back, then he sat up and thanked me with tears in his eyes. I figured he was cool, so we put him off to the side and went and saved a baby in a tree. :censored::censored::censored::censored: was so cash..."

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
It's the campus newspaper.

Geez.
Bet she's pretty.

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

That said... at least the kid was passionate about working in EMS. This forum is chock-full of people complaining about how much they are tired / grumpy / misanthropic / hating EMS or whatever.

A dumb kid for sure, but at least excited to be in the industry.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
That's how I get babes...

"Oh, yeah, I was totally going like 135 in the ambulance while I was reached back between the seats with my free hand doing CPR. Got a pulse back, then he sat up and thanked me with tears in his eyes. I figured he was cool, so we put him off to the side and went and saved a baby in a tree. :censored::censored::censored::censored: was so cash..."

My hero :rofl:

psyanotic

Forum Crew Member
Yeah...

Them: "What's the worst thing you've ever seen???"

Me: "The kitchen sink at shift change."

Seriously though, I get that he's excited and he wants to portray the EMS field as "heroic" and "drenched in blood" while "saving lives" instead of the whole "horizontal taxi" thing, but he goes too far. Even if he's embellishing, why would he think that driving 100 mph is impressive?? Isn't that the kind of driving that got him "drenched in blood" in the first place??

And that's the one problem I have with people under 18 (or even under 21) being in EMS. I like the thought of high school programs and working as an EMT during college, but there should be a much more strict standard and training program for these EMT's.

Humility makes you a good EMT, pride just makes you look like a fool to the whole industry.