Should this have blown up the way it did?

OP
OP
M

medickat

Forum Crew Member
And that's the one problem I have with people under 18 (or even under 21) being in EMS. I like the thought of high school programs and working as an EMT during college, but there should be a much more strict standard and training program for these EMT's.

I became an EMT-B when I was 16. I actually used to ride on the exact same squad that this boy does. Since they're volunteer, they don't have a lot of members - or members who actually show up when they're supposed to - and they take who they can get which usually means over-excited newly certified teenagers (which I openly admit to having been, back before I realized that EMS wasn't heroic or glamorous). That said, the tone of the article doesn't surprise me. It just confuses me that they would suspend this kid when they're so short-staffed to begin with and in danger of being taken over by a paid company (which is probably a good idea, actually). Especially since this was only published in a college newspaper located a long distance from the actual squad, and shouldn't really have been that big of a deal.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Doesn't say he was suspended. Says he's a hero and all that.

Hey, C, next time a reporter comes up to you, just smile and remember, if it felt good saying it, then it will look bad reading it. And The Press is NOT your friend. Be honest to your family, friends and Grand Juries, not the media. Look noble and smile a little, and walk away.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Doesn't say he was suspended. Says he's a hero and all that.

Hey, C, next time a reporter comes up to you, just smile and remember, if it felt good saying it, then it will look bad reading it. And The Press is NOT your friend. Be honest to your family, friends and Grand Juries, not the media. Look noble and smile a little, and walk away.

The Newton First Aid Squad regrets the comments that were made by Member Joshua Couce in this article published. The Squad would like to assure the members of the public and fellow emergency services workers that the actions described in the article are not in any way condoned by the Newton First Aid Squad. Mr. Couce had this article published without the knowledge or consent of the Squad and his actions described within the article were unknown to the Officers of this Squad until the publication of this article. The Newton First Aid Squad does not condone the divulging of personal details of EMS calls to the public in any form nor does it condone the motor vehicle operations described within the article. The Newton First Aid Squad and its volunteer members strive to uphold the highest standards of EMS and these comments and actions are being taken extremely seriously. Currently Mr. Couce has been suspended from the squad until a full investigation has been completed and any necessary disciplinary actions have been concluded. We regret that such statements were made as it negatively reflects on all aspects of EMS including both paid and volunteer EMS professionals and the Newton First Aid Squad who has proudly served the citzens of the Town of Newton since 1957. Deborah Phillps, CT1 Newton First Aid Squad

Second to last comment at the bottom of article

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
AH, finally saw that comment.
Why do I even read these article thingees? Morbid curiosity I guess.

How many of us would like what we post here attributed to us in such a manner and with our photo?

They are NOT our friends.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Am I the only one who just sees a kid who is excited to be in EMS? I didn't see anything really wrong with the article aside from the speeding.

I don't see how he's an embarrassment like the comments claim.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Am I the only one who just sees a kid who is excited to be in EMS? I didn't see anything really wrong with the article aside from the speeding.

I don't see how he's an embarrassment like the comments claim.

I would agree with that except I would add that he also erred in speaking to the press in the town where he goes to college about his EMS service in his home town (3.5 hours away) without obtaining prior approval of the squad in question.

patput

Forum Crew Member
Ithaca is just about half an hour from where I live. I too am a young would be EMT. I just took my state exam last week. I was the youngest person in my class, and didn't even turn 18 until a few weeks into class. I hope that people don't view all young people in this field in the same light. I find the whole "Oh look I'm a hero" deal pretty pathetic. I've been running with an ALS transport agency for about a year at this point, and I honestly think hero is the farthest thing from what we are. It's not about lights and sirens or driving 100mph (who even has rigs that would go that fast?), it's about helping people. For every one life and death call I've had we probably have 20 taxi rides. And divulging details (might be a stretch to call them details, but as pointed out before in a small town everyone will know the incident he's talking about) of calls to a news paper, student run or not, without the permission of the patient (or family) or the squad seems incredibly unethical and pushing illegal.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Personal details of calls? Where??

I think it was the description of the patient who fell 10 feet and had serious head trauma. A couple of people who commented on the article were upset because they knew the person he was apparently talking about.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It's not about lights and sirens or driving 100mph (who even has rigs that would go that fast?),

Ours do.

I don't drive that fast but I know plenty of people who have hit the limiter on the freeway in the middle of the night.

I still don't see the privacy violations.

Sure he talked about a fatal head trauma but that's about all the detail he gave.

Do I agree with the article? No, but I don't see the big deal about it.

Let him make himself feel big, we all know what truly goes on. If having articles like this written about himself helps him sleep at night then so be it. Don't lose any of your own sleep over it.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Ithaca is just about half an hour from where I live. I too am a young would be EMT. I just took my state exam last week. I was the youngest person in my class, and didn't even turn 18 until a few weeks into class. I hope that people don't view all young people in this field in the same light. I find the whole "Oh look I'm a hero" deal pretty pathetic. I've been running with an ALS transport agency for about a year at this point, and I honestly think hero is the farthest thing from what we are. It's not about lights and sirens or driving 100mph (who even has rigs that would go that fast?), it's about helping people. For every one life and death call I've had we probably have 20 taxi rides. And divulging details (might be a stretch to call them details, but as pointed out before in a small town everyone will know the incident he's talking about) of calls to a news paper, student run or not, without the permission of the patient (or family) or the squad seems incredibly unethical and pushing illegal.

It is in no way pushing illegal or even unethical. He protected the identity of the head injury patient. Lots of people fall on their head and die.

Aidey

Apparently he lives in a smallish town, and people who personally knew that patient read the article and got upset. I don't think he broke HIPAA, but there may be local privacy laws he needs to be concerned about.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Apparently he lives in a smallish town, and people who personally knew that patient read the article and got upset. I don't think he broke HIPAA, but there may be local privacy laws he needs to be concerned about.

And those people are 100% positive there was no one else it could possibly be? That there might be someone else suffered and died from similar injuries?

Aidey

Obviously no, but that has never stopped a bunch of people from getting offended on the internet.

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
As far as privacy issues, to me the dudes in the clear. He didn't break HIPAA code to me. Probably won't stop them from investigating though.

Those HIPAA folks are a touchy bunch...

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
As a NJ EMT, I'm embarrassed. Many of my coworkers are embarrassed by what he said (and many of the comments are written by coworkers of mine). The article makes all EMTs look bad.

That being said, the kid is 18 years old, is the Squad First Aid Advisor (as seen on their website), and has been doing this for 2 years. The article is a COLLEGE paper, so it has a relatively small circulation circle.

Do I think there is some embellishment? absolutely. I doubt he went 100mph with a critical patient in the back. I doubt he has been soaked in blood, urine, and vomit. But he's new, and it's all cool, and getting bodily fluids on him might seem cool to a reporter, but anyone who has done this knows it's just gross.

I don't think it's a HIPAA or patient confidentiality issue, except the fact that it's a small town and everyone knows everyone. Remember, just because you said something (despite not giving out privileged info) that you are permitted to say, some tiny squads will look to punish you, claiming "conduct unbecoming" or some other general crime that they use to punish someone who has done something they don't like, despite it not being against any rules.

He is suspended from the squad, there will be an investigation, and he will probably be not on anyone's Christmas card list. and if he does get tossed, in a couple years he will join somewhere else and this will all be in the past and a non issue

But after he has been doing this for more than 5 years, the cool factor will get old. He will hopefully stay in EMS, and with a little more maturity (and avoidance of any reporters), learn how to act and what to say to not embarrass his fellow EMS professionals

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain
Yup, he's a whacker. So was I when I was that age (as were a lot of people), because I was 16 when I joined my volunteer FD in a small town. There wasn't much to do, other than feed the cows and go on our department's 200 or so calls a year. People grow up.

His agency got all offended that he didn't get his "interview" approved through their heirarchy. Big effing deal. That sounds to me like they're as big a group of whackers as he is, thinking that they are SO important. I got so sick and tired of the small town "look at me, I'm so important" volunteer mentality. These tools will take any opportunity to show somone that THEY'RE the boss, that THEY have power over their little kingdom. I no longer volunteer; I work FT in a busy urban system, and when I'm home, I'm off the job and enjoying my family.

If you listen to a rural emergency scanner and couple it with a newspaper report, you can probably get more information than this article. They have a kid that is driving nearly 400 miles in a weekend to come home and volunteer his time, and their response is to suspend him, with the threat they may bounce him. How about using it as a teaching experience instead? Take the kid and explain how this wasn't the wisest thing to do, and guide him. Educate him why talking to the press is not a good idea. Nope. Gotta flex their muscles. If I could talk to him, I'd tell him to join a NY agency closer to school. Screw them. Give his time to someone who will appreciate him.