RN with EMT cert???

Dontitochavez

Forum Ride Along
Hi. I'm currently certified as an EMT-B but am also in the final semester to get my BSN and become an RN. My EMT certification is getting ready to expire and I'm wondering if there's any advantage in having both EMT and RN? Basically the EMT recert process is a pain in the *** and I'm wondering if I should even bother. Any thoughts? Thanks.

medic_texas

Forum Crew Member
If you want to fly or advance your EMS education towards paramedic, you may need it.

It looks good on a resume.

If you're leaving EMS behind forever, let it go. Otherwise, it should be fairly simple to recert (a lot of college classes count as EMS CE as well as nursing CE).

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I would advise you to keep your EMT cert if you want to fly. For formalities, some flight programs require the RN is have a little field first-aid training aka EMT. Here in FL, we put the RNs we hire out-of-state throught a 2 week EMT mill to get them their EMT-B cert which then allows them to challenge the Paramedic to satisfy and outdated statute. A few other states also allow the RN to challenge the Paramedic if the program the are with also does scene response.

However, if you check with the flight programs around you and if they are primarily IFT or Critical Care Specialty, they may not require this cert but instead will want you to concentrate on those pertaining to crtitcal care. If that is the case, the EMT-B will probably be of little use to you on a resume.

If you are trying to satisfy a CCRN specialty cert which takes many CEs, you may have your hands full trying to find those that are EMS and CCRN eligible.

Last edited by a moderator:

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Also, if it is CEs that are a pain for you in keeping the EMT cert, your RN program should satisfy the CEs. Go down tot he EMS office that issued your certification and let them know you are going through RN school, and you should be ok.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
One trick, if you are trying to get college/nursing classes to count, is to submit the syllabus along with your letter of request. As I see it, are asking to see some verification. They may ask about the professor, reading list, or assessment of the course. you may even need an official transcript from the registrar.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Also, if it is CEs that are a pain for you in keeping the EMT cert, your RN program should satisfy the CEs. Go down tot he EMS office that issued your certification and let them know you are going through RN school, and you should be ok.

I know in Pennsylvania to recert with CEU's, they have to be on the level you are recertifying. For example, as an EMT, all your credits have to be rated at the BLS level. You would not get credit for completing a course on 12-leads, capnography, etc.

I can not use my Paramedic classes towards my EMT recert. Not sure how other States work though. But I would definitely recert and keep it. Even though its a lesser level than RN, its still a pre-hospital credential and as Vent said, will make it easier to take the Paramedic exam.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I know in Pennsylvania to recert with CEU's, they have to be on the level you are recertifying. For example, as an EMT, all your credits have to be rated at the BLS level. You would not get credit for completing a course on 12-leads, capnography, etc.

I can not use my Paramedic classes towards my EMT recert. Not sure how other States work though. But I would definitely recert and keep it. Even though its a lesser level than RN, its still a pre-hospital credential and as Vent said, will make it easier to take the Paramedic exam.

Well that sucks. Why does medicine have to be segregated into levels? I am happy that california has no such requirement.

Hal9000

Forum Captain

It's similar here. However, EMTs are allowed to count some of the hours toward CEUs, because at least some of the time will be spent discussing basic concepts on most courses.

Summit

Critical Crazy

Yep! NR allows many hours from school

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Hi. I'm currently certified as an EMT-B but am also in the final semester to get my BSN and become an RN. My EMT certification is getting ready to expire and I'm wondering if there's any advantage in having both EMT and RN? Basically the EMT recert process is a pain in the *** and I'm wondering if I should even bother. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Don't let it go! It will be a pain to keep the cert, but I think you know it's worth it.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I agree. Do NOT let the EMT-B cert go. You'll only kick yourself later if you do. You should check with your certifying agency to find out what courses you're taking as an RN might apply for re-cert for your EMT-B. Seriously.

I also agree with daedalus... California doesn't care (for the most part) about what "level" course you take is. All they (typically) care about is that the coursework is somehow related to the field... and patient care. California counts 15 hours for 1 Semester Unit of Credit. At least the EMSA does...

VCEMT

Forum Captain

Well, if you are going to be a nurse. Having an EMT certification or license will get you into an ER or ICU more quickly. There is not one ER or ICU nurse that I have talked to, that does not have an EMT cert.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Well, if you are going to be a nurse. Having an EMT certification or license will get you into an ER or ICU more quickly. There is not one ER or ICU nurse that I have talked to, that does not have an EMT cert.

Where do you work that the hospital would ask for an EMT cert for the RN to work in their ED or ICU? Very few MICNs or CCT RNs in CA have the EMT. Those that may work as a liason for the county EMS office might have the EMT and may have challenged the Paramedic. It is not required in many areas for even an ED Tech to be an EMT because prehospital certs are not recognized in the hospitals in many states. If you are in CA, the CNA or MA with a phlebotomy cert is more sought after for those positions and are also more likely to impress the interviewer when they announce their plans for nursing school. The RNs I am familiar with in both CA and FL have concentrated on getting advanced education such as completing their BSN or MSN if they haven't already done so.

In fact, CA RNs have it easier to challenge the Paramedic if they wish to do so than even those in FL. For CA all they may need to do is take the MICN course or a Paramedic refresher and get 40 ALS patient contacts outside of the hospital. Any Flight RN can achieve this while working since the Paramedic cert is not required for the job and may even be conflicting due to the limited scope of practice. The RN will still be working off of the RN license.

However, I agree the OP should hang up to the EMT cert at least until nursing school is over and the career path comes into view. In the meantime, the actual requirements for future goals can be investigated and then the decision can be made about keeping the EMT cert.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Never seen an ED (especially an ICU) ever ask for any EMS course for nursing, in fact I have seen it been used as a discouragement instead.

R/r 911

VCEMT

Forum Captain
A lot of the gals I know went to school locally. They all followed steps and they took an EMT course as part of their program. As a matter of fact, when I took my EMT class, 18 out of the 22 in my class were all nursing students. It's not that the hospitals are looking for an EMT cert, those gals just take it for coursework.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
A lot of the gals I know went to school locally. They all followed steps and they took an EMT course as part of their program. As a matter of fact, when I took my EMT class, 18 out of the 22 in my class were all nursing students. It's not that the hospitals are looking for an EMT cert, those gals just take it for coursework.

Got a link to the program that requires these "steps"?

Actual nursing students IN the program or those killing time while on the 2 - 4 year wait list?

I know of NO nursing program in any state that makes the EMT a requirement.

Ventura College requires the CNA as a prerequisite as does a few other CA community colleges. I really hope these students aren't trying to use the EMT instead of the CNA or they may be way behind in their class for some of the basic competencies.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
VCEMT has gotten me curious and I just stumbled upon one of the CNA programs that meets the requirements for nursing school. It is 360 hours which is 3x longer than the CA EMT. Also, the EMT has very few of the skills listed on the CNA's list of 205 things to know.

http://www.valleyrop.net/Course%20Descriptions/Pre-Certified%20Nursing%20Assistant%2006c.pdf

You know, I laughed initially that one of the competencies was principles of making a bed...

but then I realized that EMTs I know have argued about the proper way to make up an ambulance cot.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
You know, I laughed initially that one of the competencies was principles of making a bed...

but then I realized that EMTs I know have argued about the proper way to make up an ambulance cot.

Believe it or not but in hospitals, NHs or any LTC facility this is a big issue when it comes to skin intergity. New mattresses, sheets, pads or whatever are constantly being introduced. Our CNAs (and RNs) are always attending inservices to review these items or learn techniques. On med-surg where the RN might have 10 patients, the brunt of the burden rests on the CNA to make sure the patient has the proper skin care. Now that Medicare has stated it disapproval of hospital acquired damage to the patient by way of "no payment", the CNA is a valued asset. It is cheaper to put a few more CNAs on staff than to pay for the extended stay and treatment of one decubitus ulcer.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Got a link to the program that requires these "steps"?

Actual nursing students IN the program or those killing time while on the 2 - 4 year wait list?

I know of NO nursing program in any state that makes the EMT a requirement.

Ventura College requires the CNA as a prerequisite as does a few other CA community colleges. I really hope these students aren't trying to use the EMT instead of the CNA or they may be way behind in their class for some of the basic competencies.
Vent, some of the local RN programs in Ventura County really encourage their RN students to take the EMT class the semester before they start the RN program. Like VCEMT, most of my classmates in my EMT class were accepted pre RN students. In fact, at Moorpark College, the EMT class was under the Department of Nursing and the director of our program was the nurse in charge of the nursing program. It may be something that is popular around here. I have no opinion ether way, just an anecdotal observation I have made. However, it was better to be around educated and driven people with bigger and better plans than some of the weirdos who think this is all they need to get hired by the FD.

By the way, random test for those thinking of becoming an RN or RT:
you are up to your neck in human feces and someone with a trach coughs a big yellow mucous ball at you.
if you duck your head under the stool to avoid it go to nursing school.
if you let it hit you square in the face go to r.t. school.

All in jest!!!!