RN with EMT cert???

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Former EMT, current RN...

EMT and RN are different, I am considering going back for my EMT since my experience has made me rusty.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Vent, some of the local RN programs in Ventura County really encourage their RN students to take the EMT class the semester before they start the RN program. Like VCEMT, most of my classmates in my EMT class were accepted pre RN students. In fact, at Moorpark College, the EMT class was under the Department of Nursing and the director of our program was the nurse in charge of the nursing program. It may be something that is popular around here. I have no opinion ether way, just an anecdotal observation I have made. However, it was better to be around educated and driven people with bigger and better plans than some of the weirdos who think this is all they need to get hired by the FD.

Because an EMT program is under the college of nursing or has a Dean who is a nurse does not mean if it is a nursing class. The EMT could also be accepted as an elective. Many Paramedics programs have a program director who is a nurse because there are very few M.S. or Ph.D. Paramedics to assume that role.

Moorpark Nursing:
http://students.vcccd.edu/cats/07-08/mc_2007-08_courses_sec3.pdf#page=6

STEP 3:
Prerequisites Courses for Application to ADN Program
Required Courses .......................................................................................Units
ANAT M01& PHSO M01 .....General Anatomy and Human Physiology ......... 4.0/5.0
MICR M01 ......................Principles of Microbiology .................................... 5.0
HS M16N**.....................Basic Skills for the Nurse or Current CNA ...............0.5
ENGL M01A ....................English Composition ...............................................4.0
All courses in the nursing major must be completed with a Grade of C or better.
**HS M16N may be completed after application to the program, but before
entrance into NS M01.

Why would they also want an EMT cert? I did not see anywhere where it could be used instead of the CNA.

You can take whatever class you want that you think might be helpful as long as you meet the prerequisites.

Of course, the other thought is since nurses, particularly the MICN, do play a large role on CCT ambulances and in prehospital situations such as Flight and county EMS liaisons, they might be preparing the nurses to assume a more active role in EMS but NOT as EMTs.

By the way, random test for those thinking of becoming an RN or RT:
you are up to your neck in human feces and someone with a trach coughs a big yellow mucous ball at you.
if you duck your head under the stool to avoid it go to nursing school.
if you let it hit you square in the face go to r.t. school.

Yes, there is truth to that. Usually the RN is ducking to avoid the sputum ball as the RT holds a catcher's mitt in the form of a specimen container to make the save.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I am sorry, I think you misunderstood my post. EMT is far from an actual pre-requisite. It seems that a lot of pre RNs are encouraged by each other and current RN students to take the EMT class. Just an observation.

I agree with you, the EMT program has to be directed by a person with a decent background in education and most paramedic program directors do not have that. I find it humorous that an RN is in charge of our EMT program over a the paramedic who teaches it paramedic.