Police as First Responders

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Here the police are usually on scene first for the usual mvc's, psychiatric and violent type pts. They don't often do much in the line of pt care. When they are on scene they do have their own job to do, but they will always lend a hand if asked. We have a good relationship with them and its nice to know they have our backs.

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
If the police (or 5's) are dispatched than they will usually secure the scene,or do their job (talk to bystanders, control traffic and get statements at MVC's, look for evidence, etc), and watch our backs on those iffy calls if needed. Other than that, they don't do any first aid here.. they will get gear from the car if needed but other than that they stay outta our way and help if asked. They are very good on emergency scenes and are always willing to lend a helping hand.
As far as their first aid.. I know they have some sorta first aid and CPR, but no where near the first responder level.

mikie

Forum Lurker
What is the most amount a treatment an officer could provide without requiring a medical director?

Is an MD required for O2 (yes, I know it's a drug...)?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
In our case, since we provide the equipment... I don't think they really need any.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
What is the most amount a treatment an officer could provide without requiring a medical director?

Is an MD required for O2 (yes, I know it's a drug...)?
I called OSHA, the FDA, my local medical director, our state's Board of Pharmacy, and a few others. Everyone thought that I needed an Rx, but agreed that the FDA stated that:

Oxygen equipment intended for emergency use can be marketed for OTC distribution. Such equipment must deliver a minimum flow rate of 6 liters of oxygen per minute for a minimum of 15 minutes. Labeling for emergency oxygen for OTC use may not contain references to heart attacks, strokes, shock or any other medical condition amenable to diagnosis or treatment only by a licensed practitioner .

Oxygen units delivering a minimum flow rate of less than 6 liters of oxygen per minute for a period less than 15 minutes and labeled for emergency use are considered adulterated and misbranded.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
very rarely do i find the police helpful on scene, aside from the aforementioned marking of which house. most of the time i get canarys on scene, they just jumped the call to get out of doing whatever it is they are supposed to be doing(usually traffic). they never do anything to help us and mere get in my way. the only exception i have encountered here is the boston university pd. they are a great group of guys and they are very helpful.

Wow............

In Missouri (since about 1995) every Peace Officer training program includes the 40 hour 1st Responder course.

At Branson, every patrol car, while on duty, has an AED. We have had several AED uses and a sergeant assisted with a road side delivery not too long ago.

Now, even though I am still a paramedic, when in cop uniform, I act as a cop........ unless I can help carry a bag etc. Same thing went when I was in EMS clothes.... when dressed as a medic, I acted like a medic.

Most of the officers I work with enjoy offering a hand as long as they are treated with respect.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
In my area we use priority dispatching; C, D, and E calls police (sheriff) respond to as well as any potentially unsafe situation. Our local police academy includes the 40 hour first responder course so most of the police at least have some knowledge of EMS but not very many of them keep their license current after graduating the academy. I have however had good experiences in general with police on the scene.

The sheriff's deputies around here don't carry full FR bags basically just gloves, a blob and a few bandages. Any time I've scene them on scene they've done exactly what I would want them to do either beginning a history, starting CPR or staying out of my way it seems they always know what I want.

One cop that got big time kudos from me was on a PNB patient he didn't have any of his gear with him so he was doing CPR and breathing direct mouth to mouth when the patient was vomiting quite a bit. One FR had to leave the room because of the smell and he was in there doing his job.

Only issues with cops on scene is certain patients tend to talk a lot less once they see them.

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
Wow............

In Missouri (since about 1995) every Peace Officer training program includes the 40 hour 1st Responder course.

At Branson, every patrol car, while on duty, has an AED. We have had several AED uses and a sergeant assisted with a road side delivery not too long ago.

Now, even though I am still a paramedic, when in cop uniform, I act as a cop........ unless I can help carry a bag etc. Same thing went when I was in EMS clothes.... when dressed as a medic, I acted like a medic.

Most of the officers I work with enjoy offering a hand as long as they are treated with respect.

You work as a cop/ medic in Branson?
You and I need to talk... I want to move down there sometime in the next few years and either get a job at Skaggs or at the County Ambulance Service.