Podcasts Topics

FreezerStL

Forum Crew Member
It's funny you should say that because the first topic involves a series of episodes dispelling some of the popular myths you were taught in EMT school that were not necessarily backed with evidence or were later proven ineffective, provided as a critical review of the literature as it pertains to the topic at hand.

The series title starts with, "The Myth of: [Topic Here]"

Nice.

Sounds like a great episode :p

Sasha

Forum Chief
Perfect Podcast Topic:

Sasha: The Musical.

JPINFV

Gadfly

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Where do you find the podcasts?

My thoughts, find some friends and former crew members of individuals who died responding to calls in the POV running with a redlight. I know of at least two in my area. That would be a good thing for some of the young members who are a little too gunho....

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I think maybe a podcast dealing with the issues we may see as more and more soldiers come back with PTSD might be something we can use.

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
I like the idea of "WHY" we do the assessments the way we do them. What happens in the PT's brain when you ask Name, Where are you, and What Year/day is it. What mental processes go into getting those answers. Why things like that are important. Why it's important to not make your own questions/assessments for some of these things. Why do the things we do help even if we don't see the end result. Etc...

I think maybe a podcast dealing with the issues we may see as more and more soldiers come back with PTSD might be something we can use.
Very important. Great post.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
So when is funny, backwards talking, upside down Brown being included ?

And when is this thing being renamed the medicRob and JT EMTLife podcast experience featuring Brown?

Browns ideas

Gareth Davies (HEMS London) vs Bryan Bledsoe on medical helicopters
Paramedic rapid sequence intubation
Oxygen therapy
Minimising response risk - driver selection, education and training
Minimising clinical risk - adverse event reporting and analysis
Culture and clinical risk in EMS

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
So when is funny, backwards talking, upside down Brown being included ?

And when is this thing being renamed the medicRob and JT EMTLife podcast experience featuring Brown?

Browns ideas

Gareth Davies (HEMS London) vs Bryan Bledsoe on medical helicopters
Paramedic rapid sequence intubation
Oxygen therapy
Minimising response risk - driver selection, education and training
Minimising clinical risk - adverse event reporting and analysis
Culture and clinical risk in EMS

I definitely would like to do a podcast on "O2: The Most Abused Drug in EMS".

What would you like to see with regard to RSI, an overview of the procedure, the history of RSI in EMS, or a review of the literature on effectiveness?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
What would you like to see with regard to RSI, an overview of the procedure, the history of RSI in EMS, or a review of the literature on effectiveness?

A good debate on RSI and best practice for the procedure, especially given that we have consistently demonstrated RSI to be a safe and effective procedure with near 100% success rate since 2006

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I think ethics in EMS would be good. Easy to follow regardless of education and background, and something that doesn't often get touched on.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
That might be disappointing to those who think we are all "Stat" this and "Shock em" that.

With any luck it will be to those people.

I vote such topics as biochemistry (or chemistry of the body in general), A&P system reviews, I'd be happy to offer a consult for lectures involving microbiology/infectious diseases (my major from college).

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Sepsis, septic shock, meningociccal septiciema and the case for prehospital lactate, blood culture specimen collection and antibiotics (eg ceftriaxone)

RanchoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I think this is a really cool idea, but we've done one podcast and it was almost a month ago... I know Rob was probably busy studying for his NP exam(Congrats), but I think momentum needs to pick up a bit here. Otherwise I see this dying out soon...

Although I know its been discussed in depth several times over and over again ten-fold, i think its something that is very important as it is one of the major misconceptions in EMS, I myself didn't know to search for it until recently when I began wondering why the nurse kept taking of my NRB every time i brought someone into the ER.

--Oxygen and it's Overuse.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I think this is a really cool idea, but we've done one podcast and it was almost a month ago... I know Rob was probably busy studying for his NP exam(Congrats), but I think momentum needs to pick up a bit here. Otherwise I see this dying out soon...

Although I know its been discussed in depth several times over and over again ten-fold, i think its something that is very important as it is one of the major misconceptions in EMS, I myself didn't know to search for it until recently when I began wondering why the nurse kept taking of my NRB every time i brought someone into the ER.

--Oxygen and it's Overuse.

Next topic will be, "Rescuscitative Endocrinology: Sex Hormones in Prehospital Medicine".

After that, it will most likely be, "Oxygen: The Most Abused Drug in EMS", but don't quote me on that just yet.

Some Selected Readings on the Topic

Sex, Drugs and R & R (Resuscitation & Reanimation) JEMS Article
http://www.jems.com/article/administ...r-resuscitatio

Rationale for routine and immediate administration of intravenous estrogen for all critically ill and injured patients.
Wigginton JG, Pepe PE, Idris AH. Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas TX, USA.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21164406

Estrogen enhances neurogenesis and behavioral recovery after stroke.
Li J, Siegel M, Yuan M, Zeng Z, Finnucan L, Persky R, Hurn PD, McCullough LD.
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2011 Feb;31(2):413-25. Epub 2010 Oct 13.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20940729

Wigginton JG, Pepe PE, Bedolla JP, et al. Sex-related differences in the presentation and outcome of out-of-hospital cardiopulmonary arrest: A multiyear, prospective, population-based study. Crit Care Med. 2002;30 Suppl:S131–S136.

Wigginton JG, Pepe PE, Idris AH. Higher resuscitation rates for women of child-bearing age following out-of-hospital cardiopulmonary arrest (Abstract). (Originally titled: Potential pharmaco-biological and hormonal effects on resuscitation.) Acad Emerg Med. 2006;13 Suppl:174.

Topjian AA, Localio R, Berg RA, National Registry of CPR. Women of child-bearing age have better in-hospital cardiac arrest survival outcomes than equal aged men. (Submitted for peer-review)

Wigginton JG, Pepe PE, Idris AH. Sex-related differences in response to global ischemic insult and treatment. In Vincent JL (ed): 2007 Yearbook of Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine. Springer-Verlag: Berlin-Heidelberg, 2007. p. 880–888.

Lu A, Ran RQ, Clark J, et al. 17-beta-estradiol induces heat shock proteins in brain arteries and potentiates ischemic heat shock protein induction in glia and neurons. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2002;22:183–195.

Mizushima Y, Wang P, Jarrar D, at al. Estradiol administration after trauma-hemorrhage improves cardiovascular and hepatocellular functions in male animals. Ann Surg. 2000;232:673–679.

Yu HP, Shimizu T, Choudhry MA, et al. Mechanism of cardioprotection following trauma-hemorrhagic shock by a selective estrogen receptor-beta agonist: Up-regulation of cardiac heat shock factor-1 and heat shock proteins. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2006;40:185–194.

Chae SU, Ha KC, Piao CS, et al. Estrogen attenuates cardiac ischemia-reperfusion injury via inhibition of calpain-mediated bid cleavage. Arch Pharm Res. 2007;30:1225–1235.

Suzuki T, Yu HP, Hsieh YC, et al. Mitogen activated protein kinase (MAPK) mediates non-genomic pathway of estrogen on T cell cytokine production following trauma-hemorrhage. Cytokine. 2008;42:32–38.

Hsieh YC, Frink M, Hsieh CH, et al. Downregulation of migration inhibitory factor is critical for estrogen-mediated attenuation of lung tissue damage following trauma-hemorrhage. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2007;292:L1227–L1232.

Meldrum DR. G-protein-coupled receptor 30 mediates estrogen's nongenomic effects after hemorrhagic shock and trauma. Am J Pathol. 2007;170:1148–1151.

Sener G, Arbak S, Kurtaran P, et al. Estrogen protects the liver and intestines against sepsis-induced injury in rats. J Surg Res. 2005;128:70–78.

Simpkins JW, Wang J, Wang X, et al. Mitochondria play a central role in estrogen-induced neuroprotection. Curr Drug Targets CNS Neurol Disord. 2005;4:69–83.

Yang SH, Shi J, Day AL, et al. Estradiol exerts neuroprotective effects when administered after ischemic insult. Stroke. 2000;31:745–749.

O'Connor CA, Cernak I, Vink R. Both estrogen and progesterone attenuate edema formation following diffuse traumatic brain injury in rats. Brain Res. 2005;1062:171–174.

Sribnick EA, Wingrave JM, Matzelle DD, et al. Estrogen attenuated markers of inflammation and decreased lesion volume in acute spinal cord injury in rats. J Neurosci Res. 2005;82:283–293.

Messingham KA, Heinrich SA, Kovacs EJ. Estrogen restores cellular immunity in injured male mice via suppression of interleukin-6 production. J Leukoc Biol. 2001;70:887–895.

Ozveri ES, Bozkurt A, Haklar G, et al. Estrogens ameliorate remote organ inflammation induced by burn injury in rats. Inflamm Res. 2001;50:585–591.
Wigginton J, Saner K, Schug K, et al. Sex steroid level alterations in the blood and cerebrospinal fluid following severe traumatic brain injury. Circulation. 2009 (in press).
Wright DW, Kellermann AL, Hertzberg VS, et al. ProTECT: A randomized clinical trial of progesterone for acute traumatic brain injury. Ann Emerg Med. 2007;49:391–402.

Gatson JW, Maass DL, Simpkins JW, et al. Estrogen treatment following severe burn injury reduces brain inflammation and apoptotic signaling. J Neuroinflammation. 2009;6:30.

RanchoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
huh, that sounds like it will be a good one! and O2 after would be Great. Hope to hear it soon. Congrats on passing your test! I've noticed you respond quickest between the hours of Midnight and God Awful 5am... Get Some Sleep!!!!
On that Note,
GoodNight/GoodMorning.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I've noticed you respond quickest between the hours of Midnight and God Awful 5am... Get Some Sleep!!!!
On that Note,
GoodNight/GoodMorning.

Lol. Most RN's are insomniacs. We were so sleep-deprived in nursing school (5x worse than medic school) that we had to learn to go without sleep.

Yes, I have put a lot of forethought into this specific podcast. This, as well as the use of other 17-a and β 3,17-diol's in trauma, as well as the new 11β-amidoalkoxyphenyl estradiols in the field show great promise. As you can see, there is already quite a large research following. The initial indications that there was a link between sex hormones and survivability came from looking at the mortality of women of child-bearing age among others.

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
Dispatch. Duh.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Dispatch. Duh.

Brown does not have good interactions with Ambulance Communications, for example

Ambulance calls City 3

City 3, Newmarket, returning

Thanks City 3, towards Glen Eden, thirty one echo

Why, what did Brown do? :D

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Can we has Podcast on Brown Life Support and the retiring of the Dr. Suess hat?

Possibly something about HEMS and when it really is appropriate could be interesting, if someone hasn't mentioned it yet.