PM, FF, or both?

Rescue51

Forum Probie
Just wondering, can paramedics still be firefighters also, or just PMs??

~Rescue51

terrible one

Always wandering
Depends where you work, but in general yes you can be trained to work as both.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Yes, fire-medics are not uncommon at all. It all depends where you work, in some places the FD runs EMS, and other places fire and EMS are separate.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
FireMedics are very common around here, most of Virginia has combined fire/EMS. There is also plenty I opportunity as a single role medic, but less full time work like that.

OP
OP
Rescue51

Rescue51

Forum Probie
FireMedics are very common around here, most of Virginia has combined fire/EMS. There is also plenty I opportunity as a single role medic, but less full time work like that.

Are you saying that fire/medics work full time more often then solo medics?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Fire medics are extremely common in California. All the engine companies in my area have a minimum of 1 medic on the engine.

I know of a couple city fire departments where all their firefighters are paramedics.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Does anyone know if fire/medics are available in Chicago?

I'm not sure if they have dual role providers, but if you want to work there, they probably won't be hiring for a few years for either EMS or fire. I would look elsewhere for employment.

Texas, Virginia, and California are big on Fire/Medics

EMTVeg

Forum Captain
Basically all of Florida is EMS and fire combined. It sucks because if you don't have an interest in Fire you are basically forced to. The job market sucks here though.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Not to crush anyone's dreams but...

The economy basically sucks in the US. (and many other places)

Municipalities are being forced to cut costs, and like they always do, emergency services are required to downsize.

That means less positions available and people holding on to them longer.

You may even be looking at layed off workers being recalled before hiring.

Working for the fire service is a very desirable job. There are often 1000's of applicants per position in most places.

The selection process is rather suspect and who you know matters most.

There is also a lot of bias that still exists in the fire service. So women and "minorities" may find themself at an unspoken disadvantage.

If you are willing to relocate, that will help a bit, unless the municipality is giving residency credit on top of every other "extra credit" group.

Because a paramedic cert opens up more avenues of employ, your back up plan may look nothing like the traditional "fire-medic."

I strongly encourage you to have a backup plan.

As firetender said in another thread, the world of Johhny and Gage does not exist anymore. Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
My typical response: "unfortunately, yes"

Fortunately there are FF/PM positions because without them most medics would be forced to work for a private service. As a reward for the hard work and time they put in they will enjoy lousy pay,substandard benifits and will get little if any respect.

There are some high paying jobs but if you think securing a FF/PM position is hard try finding a private that pays more than chump change,when you do your still likely to experience the other problems. Also you can throw in the fact that the privates know there are hundreds out there looking to replace you and because you are an expendable commidity you will always be looking over your shoulder. For you new people picture sitting for hours in a rig with your overweight partner who thanks to his frequent burps and farts reminds you that a good diet and exercise are not something he shares with most of his FF/PM counterparts. One benifit is you will have free food while your working your second job at Wendys to help pay your bills,thats if your single if you have a family good luck.

As a FF/PM you will enjoy a family living wage,above average benifits,a very nice schedule,a nice pension after 25 years and respect from the community. Everybody loves and respects their firefighters,they respect privates also but its not the same. Many FF/PM's work second jobs especially the young guys but they usually find things they enjoy doing. Not all FF/PM's are making 100k a year but alot do and some with overtime make much more. A good stategy is to start young and grab and SAVE all the OT you can get then down the line when you start a family you can enjoy your schedule and have a nice secure life.

The FF/PM position is not easy to obtain but with the right combination of education,ability and patience it can be done. There are going to be alot of retirements in the coming years which will help balance out the damage done by the economy. Recalls and laterals from departments that have had lay offs are common for now especially in many larger markets but there are many small to medium size departments that will always have a secure source of funding.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Or, you can move to an area where paramedics are treated like professionals, working for a true third service. A department where the focus is on medicine, education and patient care... Not how much 5" hose is going to fit on the new engine purchased with money made by ALS transports.

Yes, those third services exist. Im proud to say I work in a place where there is excellent pay, a robust pension plan, true advancement through a fair and equatable promotional ladder and no need to put wet stuff on the hot stuff.

County based third service paramedics. The way EMS should be delivered... by single role medics, not by hose jockeys who became paramedics just to land a fire job.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Or, you can move to an area where paramedics are treated like professionals, working for a true third service. A department where the focus is on medicine, education and patient care... Not how much 5" hose is going to fit on the new engine purchased with money made by ALS transports.

Yes, those third services exist. Im proud to say I work in a place where there is excellent pay, a robust pension plan, true advancement through a fair and equatable promotional ladder and no need to put wet stuff on the hot stuff.

County based third service paramedics. The way EMS should be delivered... by single role medics, not by hose jockeys who became paramedics just to land a fire job.

I so want to figure out a way to attach a sound file of people clapping here!

I have that minus, the good pay unfortunately. So they definately are around

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain

Take the thousands of medics already in the market then add in the thousands of new ones being spit out by the medic mills each year and I think you have better odds of landing a FF/PM gig. There are some good agencies like yours (if I remember correctly) and I am always quick to point that out but they are so very rare.

Most of the non fire based services offer their people what I described above and it will remain that way as long as supply exceeds demand.

For the record I have always been against people getting their medic just to help them on to an engine. This was the practice years ago when the fire service went medic crazy and there were big problems. A true FF/PM needs to be of above average proficiency in both areas but providing quality patient care should always be job one. On the other hand I expect any FF/EMT-B to be able to function as a decent PM assistant if they are working on an ALS or assesment engine. Having worked in fire,EMS and in the ER during those years I can tell you what a disaster it was and it many cases it hurt our ability to provide quality care.

Give me a short list of third party agencies that fit your idea of the perfect model for EMS in the future.