Pediatric Immobilization

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
How would you vacuum splint the torso without interfering with breathing and such while keeping immobilization?
I've seen adult and child vacuum mattresses that were sold as being backboards - I don't see why one of mattress size wouldn't work.

I don't think a "limb" size one would work, though.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
We have the pedi mate and pedi-pac for our peds pts. Otherwise its improvise as required.

3d29afcaf1d533e77dec60bd87264b03ima.jpg
[/IMG]

8ca870cce98c015d74d1f9b9c64ddb77ima.jpg
[/IMG]

Images from http://www.lifemedicalsupplier.com/...oducts-pediatric-immobilization-c-73_123.html

reaper

Working Bum
We also carry the Pedimates. They are great for securing on the stretcher.

skyemt

Forum Captain
I've seen adult and child vacuum mattresses that were sold as being backboards - I don't see why one of mattress size wouldn't work.

I don't think a "limb" size one would work, though.

be verrrry careful here... in many places, included mine, vacuum mattresses for immobilization are out of protocol for a very good reason... they leak.

we use them for pelvic injuries, etc, but having used them a ton of times, they do develop tiny leaks and lose their rigidity.. would be very embarrassing to bring someone in on a floppy vacuum splint, who needed to be immobilized.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
As promised, Pics of out Pediatric back boards. The straps are a wrap-around nylon and velcro that is bomb-proof when applied properly. It works great, have used it several times and once one becomes proficient in applying it, it takes no longer than a regular LBB.
PediBoard001.jpg

PediBoard003.jpg

mikie

Forum Lurker
so these papoose boards....why aren't they good for spinal immobilization? I've only come across one encounter where a pedi. needed immobilization so far

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
be verrrry careful here... in many places, included mine, vacuum mattresses for immobilization are out of protocol for a very good reason... they leak.

we use them for pelvic injuries, etc, but having used them a ton of times, they do develop tiny leaks and lose their rigidity.. would be very embarrassing to bring someone in on a floppy vacuum splint, who needed to be immobilized.
Hmmm... We never learned about that! We were taught that they can be used as full immobilization! Where do they leak? from the initial site that you draw from? Ours had a cap on it but I don't know if that makes any difference.

EMT192229

Forum Probie
tmp_image.php

this is the board that we have onboard our trucks, they work goood for us. We bought them from EMP last year. The y secure the pt well,But as you know its hard to secure a PED's PT whne they are screaming and thrashing around

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
tmp_image.php

this is the board that we have onboard our trucks, they work goood for us. We bought them from EMP last year. The y secure the pt well,But as you know its hard to secure a PED's PT whne they are screaming and thrashing around

Still, I'd rather have screaming and thrashing than quiet with a peds call.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
Still, I'd rather have screaming and thrashing than quiet with a peds call.

Amen to that, but at what point are you doing more harm than good, both mentally and physically, by trying to forcefully immobilize a pedi pt?