Pediatric Immobilization

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
We all know that youngin's can present a special challenge in just about everything we try to do with them. For the ones that are injured requiring spinal immobilzation, and are not lucky enough to already be in a car seat, what do you use?

Pediatric spine boards seem to be in short supply. We don't have short boards on our trucks.

Last shift we had a 1 year old who did the flying baby stunt out of his crib, landing flat on his back on hardwood floor. Period of unresponsiveness, per the paniced mother, of about 1 minute.

I used out long leg cardboard splint. Pts arms down to his sides. Sheets and towels for padding. Fold the sides up, hold in place with 2" tape across the knees, pelvis, chest, head areas. The baby cannot wiggle around like they do. I still have access to him for exam, monitoring, treatments. It also provides an additional level of comfort, especially for the ones that are swaddled.

When we got him to the ER, the ER physician and nurses were extremely impressed with the immobilization. The Dr left him as he was, to be taken to CT like that.

I have done a few little ones like that. Its only good for up to about 2 years old. Much older and they are to long and to heavy for it. You also have to be very careful not to tape it up to tight, or possibly cause respiratory compromise. The heliocopter crews have all expressed how much they like them "packaged for flight" that way.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
You don't carry KED's or similar devices? I use KED's all the time on my ped.'s Place the head in the appropriate place and & roll the extra down and then place the arms inside the device. The legs may hang over or out a little but I still place them onto a LSB.

I personally never heard of or seen a pediatric spinal board... never knew there was such a critter.

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I personally never heard of or seen a pediatric spinal board... never knew there was such a critter.

R/r 911

One of my employers has one. Never had an opportunity to use it.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
One of my employers has one. Never had an opportunity to use it.

Amazing, I teach PEPP, PALS, PHTLS .. I have never seen or heard of one in 31 years. I have seen Papoose boards that many assume are a spinal board, but when in fact they are not.

R/r 911

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
You don't carry KED's or similar devices? I use KED's all the time on my ped.'s Place the head in the appropriate place and & roll the extra down and then place the arms inside the device. The legs may hang over or out a little but I still place them onto a LSB.

R/r 911

I have used the KED as well for kids. The long leg splint contraption works out nice because they could put the entire thing through X-Ray/CT, keeping the pt immobile until after procedures.

Pedi Boards..... long spine boards, only shorter length.... When I was with the county provider they were about 4ft in length, and 2/3 as wide.

This one is a little fancier than the others....

http://www.lifemedicalsupplier.com/lsp-infantpediatric-back-board-mri-ref-908l484c-p-821.html

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
i use the KED since it is available and i rarely use it on adults anyways. i have used the cpr board before, splints and tape...lots of tape.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
i use the KED since it is available and i rarely use it on adults anyways. i have used the cpr board before, splints and tape...lots of tape.

You rarely use a KED on an adult? Then what do you use?

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
We carry Pedi-Boards on all our units, Im on shift tonight and tommorrow night, ill see if I can snap a picture or two of it.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
You rarely use a KED on an adult? Then what do you use?
basically since the FD gets there on scene before we do they always use the short board. i have used the KED when i have time out here and we get on scene first but other than that there are not that many opportunities to use it.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
basically since the FD gets there on scene before we do they always use the short board. i have used the KED when i have time out here and we get on scene first but other than that there are not that many opportunities to use it.

Well I'm glad to hear this. For a moment I thought you were one of those X-Ray visioned medics I run across from time to time. :glare:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Amazing, I teach PEPP, PALS, PHTLS .. I have never seen or heard of one in 31 years. I have seen Papoose boards that many assume are a spinal board, but when in fact they are not.

R/r 911
You mean I know something Rid doesn't? This day will go down in history.

tmp_image.php

This is what Princess posted, and what we use at both the vollie squad and the full-time paid service. It works pretty well... if you take the time to put it on correctly. It falls into the same category as the Hare traction, though, because we don't often use it, and therefore spend precious time onscene trying to remember how it works.

How it works:
There are separate Velcro straps for each leg, the pelvis, the chest, the head, and the arms. These can be adjusted to fit the patient.

EMP even has a category for pediatric backboards:
http://www.buyemp.com/category/Backboards-Pediatric-.html

Last edited by a moderator:

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
We have Pedi-Boards as well... I would place them on a LSB in addition to using it, otherwise lots of towels and tape. :p

reaper

Working Bum
We have Pedi LSB's. They are the same as a LSB, but only 4 ft long.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Basically a Reeves sleeves that has been modified. Good idea, but not practical. Why have one, when an adult board will do?

I might have seen them at conferences but paid no attention to them. Thanks for sharing..
R/r 911

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Basically a Reeves sleeves that has been modified. Good idea, but not practical. Why have one, when an adult board will do?

I might have seen them at conferences but paid no attention to them. Thanks for sharing..
R/r 911
Actually... it is a stand-alone device, in a smaller scale.... but yes, it functions like a Reeves sleeve.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
What about a vacumn splint?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
What about a vacumn splint?

How would you vacuum splint the torso without interfering with breathing and such while keeping immobilization?

mikie

Forum Lurker
I saw above Rid mentioned that papoose boards aren't sufficient for spinal immobilization.

May I ask why? Perhaps the device I used on a pedi (the only time I've had to immobilize one) is different then what we're talking about.