Patient Assessment

FireStrut

Forum Crew Member
We have started our pt assessment in class tonight. This is the first time I have laid hands on a dummy pt for trauma and boy did I freeze up. By the end of class I was doing ok, so I was glad about that. I am going to make some copies of these sheets and wherever I go then these papers will go. This stuff is hard but at the same time it is fun too. I think I will be saying SAMPLE and DCAP-BTLS in my sleep.

c-spine

Forum Lieutenant
It's tough the first few times. I was the same way. I had my sheet in front of me with all the things I need to do for like... the first 2 months....lol. I would suggest memorizing it piece by piece; that's how I learned it. But that's just me.

Just remember - practice a lot.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Research has shown and proven that mnemonics are helpful in test time and when trying to learn for testing, however; they show as well most do not remember or only partially remember them within one year.

That is why I only teach them for testing purposes only. Terms such as DCAP, CUPS, etc.. are okay, but does not really emphasize the need, and in-detail of assessments. As well, DCAP (a BTLS) term is regional, as we in my area does not use the BTLS rather we use PHTLS, which is identical in theory.

I truly believe assessments can only improve on practicing and then practicing on real patients. Sure utilize anything that will improve your skills, but then hone onto them as they should get more detailed. Remember assessment is the only way to detect injuries on unresponsive patients.

R/r911

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
BTLS is Burns, Tenderness, Lacerations, Swelling.. not the BTLS course... what does PHTLS stand for in Assessment Rid?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
BTLS is Burns, Tenderness, Lacerations, Swelling.. not the BTLS course... what does PHTLS stand for in Assessment Rid?
The BTLS acronym is taught in the BTLS course.... I think PHTLS teaches it differently.

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
Ahhh it is also taught in a multitude of EMT-B texts... therein lies my confusion... doesn't matter how they learn it to me though.... as long as they know how to complete an effective assessment, it's all pretty much the same.
Jo

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
PHTLS means "Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support" it is the course not an aconym within it.

BTLS is a course which is Basic trauma Life Support and they have ATLS which is Advanced Trauma Life Support.

We accept both BTLS and PHTLS in our area, but we teach PHTLS at our facility.

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
yes, but when discussed in the Patient Assessment Realm.. BTLS = Burns, Tenderness, Lacerations & Swelling... and is used in the mneumonic DCAP-BTLS.... DCAP = Deformities, Contusion, Abrasions, Punctures/ Penetrations. I can understand the confusion of all of this though.

And Kip.... we're pretty heavy into BTLS up (and over) here, but I'm familiar with PHTLS as well... ATLS is a Physician based course, and we don't see a lot of Pre-Hospital providers with this level of training.

Jo

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Yeppers...... :) I'm very familiar with DCAP-BTLS.

All medical directors of EMS systems in Missouri must have ATLS. I think most ER Docs are supposed to have it as well.

We don't offer it here.

I was aswering your question s to what did "PHTLS" stand for in pateint assesment. I have never heard it before "in" a patient assesment setting. Not to say it doesn't exist.......... just never heard of it. :)

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
Sorry.... I seem to be having SERIOUS comprehension issues the last couple of days.... just ignore anything crazy I may say... (by the way, I knew what PHTLS stood for as a program... was thinking that Rid may know a cool new mneumonic for it that was being used in conjunction with Patient Assessment).

Jo

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Sorry.... I seem to be having SERIOUS comprehension issues the last couple of days.... just ignore anything crazy I may say... (by the way, I knew what PHTLS stood for as a program... was thinking that Rid may know a cool new mneumonic for it that was being used in conjunction with Patient Assessment).

Jo

If anyne will have a cool mneumonic for something it will be him!

And.................... no worries Girl! I think we are all a little light headed right now.............. I am soooooooooooo covered up at work with all of the AHA changes and tryng to get all of the staff up to date...........plus EMT and Medic core (refresher) classes............. I'm pooped!