Patient Assessment

EMTalex

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone have any tips for nailing patient assessment?

sdadam

DialedMedics.com
Are you a student and looking to nail your NR? or do you just mean in general?

soon2bemt

Forum Crew Member
What worked for me is memorization of the NR skill sheet......everybody is different. I laminated all of my sheets and they went everywhere with me-and I mean everywhere. The only thing my instructors could talk about the whole five months of basic was memorize, memorize, memorize.....and believe me it worked. I went through my NR Trauma assessment in about four minutes and my medical in about five or six. Oh-and practice, practice, practice. Get one of your classmates or friends to be a "patient" for you so you actually have something to palpate so you aren't just saying it in your head. If you practice with a classmate-return the favor for him. Worked for everyone in our class. Also, if you are still in class, suggest to your instructor to have some practice skills nights during the two weeks before the NR exam. I'm sure going to your local ambulance service or FD wouldn't be any harm-most people like to help us newbies out.....

OP
OP
EMTalex

EMTalex

Forum Crew Member
Are you a student and looking to nail your NR? or do you just mean in general?

yeah a student hoping to nail my NR, i also have to pass it with flying colors for class, even before i can get to the NR. <_<

Epi-do

I see dead people
Practice, practice, practice! The more you do it, the better you will become at it. All that practice will also help you figure out a general approach that works best for you. Because all patients and providers are different, what works best for me may not be what works best for you.

Yes, you need to know the skills sheets so you can pass the test, but at the same time don't become so rigid in your approach that you are a robot in how you go about doing things. While you do need to remember to do ABC's before doing a head to toe, don't obsess about what order you ask questions in while obtaining your SAMPLE history. As you talk to your patient, you will establish a rapport with them and they may be more willing to tell you about any allergies or events that led up to the incident than to discuss past history or meds with you because there is something there that they are embarrassed about. It's ok to follow his/her lead and work your way to the questions about history and meds with those patients.

Basically, if you study your skill sheets and practice every chance you get, you will do great. I was a nervous wreck the day I did my practicals, like everyone else in my class. I did know my stuff though and passed with flying colors. Just try not to get too nervous or stessed out about it and you will be fine.

OP
OP
EMTalex

EMTalex

Forum Crew Member
lol, yeah i'm already nervous about my practical exam and its all the way in December. Thanks for the advice mates!

c-spine

Forum Lieutenant
A tip... take it in chunks. Get a copy of the test-sheet thing, and memorize the first 5 things, which is your initial assessment. Then move on to the next part, get that memorized, and put it together with the first, continue on until you have it memorized and practice the hell out of it. :D

OP
OP
EMTalex

EMTalex

Forum Crew Member
I know all the steps (well some more than others (trauma)...more studying required) but i think i'm most worried about the senerio the proctor will throw at me

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I know all the steps (well some more than others (trauma)...more studying required) but i think i'm most worried about the senerio the proctor will throw at me

Just remember the most important step of all - RELAX! :)

gradygirl

TROUBLE
"Forget" (don't really forget) that you're taking a test. Pretend it's an actual patient and an actualy medical or trauma emergency you're responding to, not a dummy/volunteer sitting in a room with a proctor.

Oh, and remember, BSI, Scene Safety, and ABCs. Better yet, memorize the critical fails, that way if you don't nail any of those, you can sail along through the rest of the scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The truth is, I took my NR four years ago and I'm confident I could still pass their practical assessment. I haven't worked an EMS shift in a looong time, but the pt assessment is one of those things that I used in the field all the time. I'd say I could do it with my eyes closed, but I'm pretty sure that's an auto-fail.

I suggest doing it over... and over... and over again. When you get sick of it, do it ten more times... then again. :)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I always tell my students to verbalize and use hands on approach as if they were teaching patient assessment.

Now which is better? I am checking the head, for injuries such as battles signs, PEARLA" or "I am checking for battle signs, which is bruising behind the ears on the mastoid process, which is an indicator for a basilar skull fracture", "Looking and examining the eyes, not only equal and reactive but the speed if reactivity, as well checking for potential foreign bodies, sclera for jaundice, conjunctiva color, gray which could be an indicator for hemorrhage and shock..."

I would suggest write everything one can potentially observe and find, and rehearse and re-rehearse over and over again. Where you actually know how and what to assess... remember after identifying and acknowledging "crucial areas, and appropriate treatment, rapid transportation".. you can hone into a detail assessment.. If one impresses the evaluator, they might overlook mistakes you had made... as well they see the same routine assessment over and over as well.. so seeing something new and sharp is impressive.

Good luck,
R/r 911

OP
OP
EMTalex

EMTalex

Forum Crew Member
yeah, i think that i've got trauma nailed. I just need to keep practing on medical.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Same thing for medical.. only you have more material to cover. For example how many things you can assess on the abdomen? Do you recall the order of inspecting the abdomen?...........

Such as inspection, auscultation, then palpation in the opposite side of chief complaint of pain...

As a NREMT examiner, I always like to see those that represent they have knowledge in patient assessment. Since, this should be the most important station.. if one cannot assess, they cannot detect injuries or illness and make an accurate diagnosis...
R/r 911

OP
OP
EMTalex

EMTalex

Forum Crew Member
whats kinda difficult for me is what questions i need to ask the patient based on what i see. its just alot of memorisation.

sdadam

DialedMedics.com
Well, my advice would actually be to keep in mind that you are taking a test, and that you know exactly what the evaluator is grading you on, because you have a copy of the assessment sheet that they will be looking at as you do it.

If your test isn’t till Dec. then I would guess that you may not have gone in to all of the parts of the assessment in depth yet, so although it is great to start studying for it as early as possible, remember that you will spend time learning S&S of specific things, and going over SAMPLE and OPQRST, as well as DCAPP/BTLS. So don’t get to overwhelmed this early in the game, concentrate on making sure that you know the things that you have already spent time going over in class (Scene Survey, Initial Assessment, etc.) so that as you pick up the skills in the rest of pt. assessment you don’t have to keeping coming back to those, I saw a lot of people in my class that knew S&S of everything in the book but forgot a few simple things and failed.

For me what worked really well was to write out the steps of the pt. assessments on paper, I just kept doing that until I could re-create the score sheet from scratch. My memory is all visual so that works great for me, flash cards too, but everyone learns a different way so you have to find what works for you.

And keep asking for info, I picked up a ton of great tricks from reading these boards!

sdadam

DialedMedics.com
oh PS I noticed in another post that you are in San Diego, I am too, where are you taking your classes?

sdadam

DialedMedics.com
I got mine at palomar too. Good program, what days and times do you have class? I've been meaning to stop by and see bruce.