My partner is a moron.

Pittma

Forum Crew Member
But still, the best thing for him to do, BEING MY PARTNER was to ask me instead of whipping out his phone and calling his buddy.

And like I said, as far as putting more pressure on himself to haul *** to the pt's primary care hospital, thus hustling me, a whole lot of bullcrap that could have been avoided, doesn't anyone else see this? What would you have done? What are your thoughts? Instead of someone attacking me and making assumptions, which also doesn't help this, or my views.

Did you ever think that you're also his partner? It seems to me like you're pretty cocky yourself, sure he should have asked you, but did you speak up and say hey, let's call later? From what I've seen, you have no interest in working WITH him to better your relationship.

It's not "pressure" to "haul ***" to the hospital. I've never heard of a service that shows up unannounced to a hospital for something like this. Nothing wrong with getting ED an ETA. "A whole lot of bullcrap" is your JOB. What would I have done? I would have worked with him. I would have voiced your opinions after the call and worked out a way to work with him better. Nobody is attacking and making assumptions- we're going on what you told us. And if you don't like what you hear, why ask for opinions?

OP
OP
R

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
Did you ever think that you're also his partner? It seems to me like you're pretty cocky yourself, sure he should have asked you, but did you speak up and say hey, let's call later? From what I've seen, you have no interest in working WITH him to better your relationship.

No, at the time I was getting the paperwork and the story from the nurse. I am not a cocky person. I'm new, I want to do things the right way but my partner likes to hog the spotlight and jumps on everything first and take all the credit (grabbing my paperwork to show the triage nurse and giving her the report, meanwhile I'm teching). Yes, you guys are right - next time i will communicate with him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lola99

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks, will do, but --

Pt did not have radiating pain. Pt complained of hip pain. I spoke with the nurse in charge and got a list of her meds, and documented what had happened (it was acute). Pt's son was with her. Not much else info. I took it for acute back pain and to put the pt on the stretcher and pad her voids. My partner said "never saw anything like it before". I don't know. Maybe he didn't. But still, the best thing for him to do, BEING MY PARTNER was to ask me instead of whipping out his phone and calling his buddy. I covered my *** and documented that he called his buddy for an opinion (that of which he carried out with).

And like I said, as far as putting more pressure on himself to haul *** to the pt's primary care hospital, thus hustling me, a whole lot of bullcrap that could have been avoided, doesn't anyone else see this? What would you have done? What are your thoughts? Instead of someone attacking me and making assumptions, which also doesn't help this, or my views.

What do you mean with putting pressure on himself to haul? By calling in?
There was no attacking on my (or several others) part.
This is a forum. You have to expect the some people will disagree.
Not that I do completely.

I would say definitely call ED. It gives them report and some prep time. When facilities call in, they can only guess ETA and sometimes, more often than not I've found, slack in report. But I think you see from all the posts that most people call in and it's probably a good idea.
If you mean that's what put more pressure on him, I don't understand why you think so. If your partner is rushing, tell him to slow down. Don't cause a scene. That doesn't do anyone any good, but stepping on it a little doesn't hurt, either, as long as pt is taken care of.

OP
OP
R

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
What do you mean with putting pressure on himself to haul? By calling in?
There was no attacking on my (or several others) part.
This is a forum. You have to expect the some people will disagree.
Not that I do completely.

I would say definitely call ED. It gives them report and some prep time. When facilities call in, they can only guess ETA and sometimes, more often than not I've found, slack in report. But I think you see from all the posts that most people call in and it's probably a good idea.
If you mean that's what put more pressure on him, I don't understand why you think so. If your partner is rushing, tell him to slow down. Don't cause a scene. That doesn't do anyone any good, but stepping on it a little doesn't hurt, either, as long as pt is taken care of.

Understood.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'll bite.

I think that when you're dealing with a partner who isn't doing things the way you'd like to see them done, you need to communicate with your partner, that day or possibly the next day, to make sure that you all have the same expectations.

Sounds like you guys are working a BLS ambulance in an IFT company, right? And you just happened to get a patient going to the ER? So this was not your standard call, and you don't really have the day-to-day experience with this guy to deal with an "emergent" situation without communication.

For next time: discuss in your downtime what the role of the lead EMT is on calls. Discuss what you'd like to see happen, and when you obviously have to split up (one to talk to the nurse and one to talk to the patient) you need to have some practice guidelines.

Honestly, I sorta see a little bit of Sasha's point because it seems like both of you are extremely inexperienced, easily jazzed up EMTs. When you call the hospital, unless you're calling for a trauma alert, nobody's waiting for you. They're doing their work, and will deal with you when you get there. So no need to feel enormous pressure. What did he tell them your ETA was? 10 minutes? 15? No big deal.

In this call, here's how I would handle the situation with a partner who knew what he was doing:

I would go to the patient, get the story from her and her son. Partner would go to the nurse and get the paperwork and the story. Alternatively, I'd get the story from the nurse on my way through the hall to the patient.

Then we'd load the patient (did she fall? What's caused her pain? Why are you ruling out "foul play"?) (word, BTW: another clue that you are as hyper and inexperienced as your partner)

Then we'd go to the ER

I would have a talk with the partner about doing embarassing things in front of staff, patients, and families, but in the end, it's your partner that has to look this stupid. You only look as dumb if you are treating him like he's to be respected.
I'd do basically the same stuff. I like to get a story on the way in, go to the patient and send the partner for the paperwork, close enough by that I can get assistance if I need it. Each specific case may be run a little different, but I like to delegate some tasks to my partner so that I can do other assessment-related things. Usually I like to call while en-route to the ED, but sometimes I've been known to call report while on-scene if the ED is very close. One facility I used to go to was literally about 3/4 mile from the ED. By the time I'd ringdown the ED on the radio, we'd be pulling in. I've made many a report from bedside before transport at that place.

And OP: You need to rise above that and allow him to look stupid on his own. The more that happens, the more everyone around him will realize that he's the problem, not his partner, not the company...

brentoli

Forum Crew Member
1) You don't take the ER by surprise. And you don't trust the nursing home to give an accurate report.

2) Try talking to him, its amazing what communication can do. If you're gonna be a good EMT you have to be a good communicator.

3) This isn't the place to air dirty laundry. Think if your partner posted this thread about you. You've given enough clues he can figure it out. I've seen people get fired for less.

MedJPavlo

Forum Crew Member
1) You don't take the ER by surprise. And you don't trust the nursing home to give an accurate report.

2) Try talking to him, its amazing what communication can do. If you're gonna be a good EMT you have to be a good communicator.

3) This isn't the place to air dirty laundry. Think if your partner posted this thread about you. You've given enough clues he can figure it out. I've seen people get fired for less.
yeh this reminds me of the ems golden rule. CYA

OP
OP
R

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
Did he do lights and sirens to the hospital?

Yes/ The hopsital was 1 mile away from the assisted living home. Ok everyone maybe I was a little overzealous. I have jsut been stressed out by the work week. My apologies to everyone (even Sasha). I just thought when it comes to these emergencies, you work with your partner as a team to problem solve and if need be, call the medical director as opposed to one partner trying to solve everything himself and doing it his way.

brentoli

Forum Crew Member
Yes/ The hopsital was 1 mile away from the assisted living home.

Good situation to give report before you head to the truck.

Minnick27

Forum Crew Member
If I have someone going to the ER I call them. The facility can say they called, then you get to the ER and they never did. Happens a whole lot at one of the SNFs we go to. But I think you should say something to your partner. If you are the tech he should back off slightly. He should still be there to back you up, but he should not be giving report because he was not in the back. Just ask him if he wants to take lead on the call and you drive. Or talk in your down time. Tell him you know you are new, but you were certified by the state to do the job. Not to say his experience isn't helpful, but how are you going to learn and gain experience if he takes the lead? And don't be rude about it when you do it. It sounds like you have alot of anger about your partner so calm yourself first and just talk. Maybe he will understand. Or maybe e will tell you to shove it. Either way you have voiced your concerns. If he is still a jerk talk to management

WVEmt

Forum Crew Member
i get evil looks from the ed staff when we don't call in report. even on routine ift. as far as your partner goes, why not let him run his calls and you run your calls? i know i get pretty irritated when its my patient and she decides to run things her way.

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant
I count my blessings every time I come here, because it seems there is always a new "my partner sux" thread. :p

Out of the entire paid/volley staff there seems to be only two members/staff that everyone appears to dislike on a personal level and everyone hates working with. There are a couple more weak EMTs or Med Responders, but they're nice folks and they're trying. Only the two real nutjobs, one of which is completely incompetent and unmotivated to boot.

I am a very lucky EMT/ParaGod Wannabe. I am surrounded by competent, patient professionals who are respectful and like to teach, and who are team players. The EMS Gods must like me or sump'n. :rolleyes:

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
On the flip side, over on this side of the world, we only inform the hospital that we are coming if they are critical/trauma/STEMI or going to a private facility.

I can understand the OPs frustration, seemed like the guy was going over the top for a simple case and acts like a bit of a lone wolf. Such is life. Ive worked with good people and bad. Learn what to do from the good people, and what not to do from the bad.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
I'll bite.

I think that when you're dealing with a partner who isn't doing things the way you'd like to see them done, you need to communicate with your partner, that day or possibly the next day, to make sure that you all have the same expectations.

Sounds like you guys are working a BLS ambulance in an IFT company, right? And you just happened to get a patient going to the ER? So this was not your standard call, and you don't really have the day-to-day experience with this guy to deal with an "emergent" situation without communication.

For next time: discuss in your downtime what the role of the lead EMT is on calls. Discuss what you'd like to see happen, and when you obviously have to split up (one to talk to the nurse and one to talk to the patient) you need to have some practice guidelines.

Honestly, I sorta see a little bit of Sasha's point because it seems like both of you are extremely inexperienced, easily jazzed up EMTs. When you call the hospital, unless you're calling for a trauma alert, nobody's waiting for you. They're doing their work, and will deal with you when you get there. So no need to feel enormous pressure. What did he tell them your ETA was? 10 minutes? 15? No big deal.

In this call, here's how I would handle the situation with a partner who knew what he was doing:

I would go to the patient, get the story from her and her son. Partner would go to the nurse and get the paperwork and the story. Alternatively, I'd get the story from the nurse on my way through the hall to the patient.

Then we'd load the patient (did she fall? What's caused her pain? Why are you ruling out "foul play"?) (word, BTW: another clue that you are as hyper and inexperienced as your partner)

Then we'd go to the ER.

I would have a talk with the partner about doing embarassing things in front of staff, patients, and families, but in the end, it's your partner that has to look this stupid. You only look as dumb if you are treating him like he's to be respected.

I think this is solid advice. If you were the patient person (in my opinion) you should be the one doing the initial assessment. Let the driving EMT handle auxillary duties liking grabbing your paperwork and nurse's report as well as any vitals you haven't already gotten.

You definitely sound like you don't like the guy, is it only this "emergent" call that you had problems, or is he stepping on your toes constantly on IFT calls as well. Even if you don't like the way that Sasha suggestions came across, they are valid. Its easy to blame others without considering that it is at least a possibility that it is you. Instead of retaliatory comments, a much better response would have been "I do blah blah blah on the calls, try to lead in blah blah ways, yet he still takes the lead". Your response does lead me to believe that you might be lacking in experience or on scene command skills. But I don't know only suggesting its something to consider.

If you have reflected on your own skills, communicated openly with you partner (instead of complaining on a forum), and still the problem persists talk to a supervisor and switch shifts, but don't use it as an out when the problem can be solved in one of the other ways.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
Yes/ The hopsital was 1 mile away from the assisted living home. Ok everyone maybe I was a little overzealous. I have jsut been stressed out by the work week. My apologies to everyone (even Sasha). I just thought when it comes to these emergencies, you work with your partner as a team to problem solve and if need be, call the medical director as opposed to one partner trying to solve everything himself and doing it his way.

Your partner did lights and sirens for back pain? How does your company allow this?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Also -- he pulled over during a transport during an MVA -- there were two fire trucks there. What could we have done? We had a pt on board! He wanted to see if he could help...what could we have done? We had a friggin' pt on board! This guy is all show.

All other stuff aside, that is a bit hinky.

On the IFT thing, our policy on IFTs is that you don't make contact with the patient until you've made contact with the staff. There are a number of reasons for this. Infection precautions, staff wait to tell patients they are going until we get there, dementia patients get freaked out when a stranger is in their room, some patients are being sent in because they are violent/combative etc.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
On the flip side, over on this side of the world, we only inform the hospital that we are coming if they are critical/trauma/STEMI or going to a private facility.

Funny, I'm half the world away, and we do the same thing.

Medics, on the other hand, are currently required by state regulation to call medical control for a mother may I on /every/ call. Even a M&T within their standing orders. And preferably before any interventions (even an IV start). The latter tends to be more honored in the breach than the observance, but... yeah.

By the way... moron is a pretty strong word. Doesn't sound like your partner is anything more than a little overeager. Sometimes, that's a good thing, too - we all get a bit jaded after a while. Maybe his inner whacker is not assuaged by IFT work. Give it time, he'll get over it.

Rescue0ne

Forum Probie
Take a deep breath...

I've worked with excellent partners, and I've worked with less than competent partners. Unfortunately, such is the nature of this beast.

First of all, flirting with the facility staff is a mark of a less than professional provider, no matter if the provider is brand new, or "saltier" than Thom **** himself. Just don't do it. CYA.

Contacting a senior EMS provider for consultation is ok, is some respects. Best to do it away from the patient and family though, imo.

I find it funny (and disturbing) that your partner said, "never seen anything like it". That does not insipre confidence in your patient, their family, or facility staff.

Never seen back pain or hip pain, w/ no other symptoms? Ok then, is there trauma involved? Regardless, properly package your patient (or not, if not indicated), and transport to the hospital. Unless lights and sirens are your protocol for everything, I don't see the need for them in your described case.

Calling into the ER is standard protocol everywhere I've worked on an ambulance, whether it's 911, ground IFT, or HEMS. The facility MAY have actually contacted the hospital with a report, but keep in mind that the report was given to the hospital by someone with probably no inkling about emergency care. The facility has no idea what you are doing to the patient in the ambulance, current vital signs are appreciated by the ER, as well as knowing if the pain level has increased/decreased, and also a current LOC update.

As far as your partner having his mobile device stuck to his ear 24/7, if it does not interfere with patient care and company policy in any manner, then just consider yourself fortunate that he isn't talking YOUR ear off. Make sure he isn't driving and doing it, however. Emergency Vehicle Operations is no place for distracted driving. Does your company have a cell phone policy? If so, is your partner following it?

Take a deep breath, count to 10 in Swahili, and consider yourself fortunate that you're at least working with another EMT. Some services out there often partner an EMT with only a driver.

Lola99

Forum Lieutenant
I've worked with excellent partners, and I've worked with less than competent partners. Unfortunately, such is the nature of this beast.

First of all, flirting with the facility staff is a mark of a less than professional provider, no matter if the provider is brand new, or "saltier" than Thom **** himself. Just don't do it. CYA.

Contacting a senior EMS provider for consultation is ok, is some respects. Best to do it away from the patient and family though, imo.

I find it funny (and disturbing) that your partner said, "never seen anything like it". That does not insipre confidence in your patient, their family, or facility staff.

Never seen back pain or hip pain, w/ no other symptoms? Ok then, is there trauma involved? Regardless, properly package your patient (or not, if not indicated), and transport to the hospital. Unless lights and sirens are your protocol for everything, I don't see the need for them in your described case.

Calling into the ER is standard protocol everywhere I've worked on an ambulance, whether it's 911, ground IFT, or HEMS. The facility MAY have actually contacted the hospital with a report, but keep in mind that the report was given to the hospital by someone with probably no inkling about emergency care. The facility has no idea what you are doing to the patient in the ambulance, current vital signs are appreciated by the ER, as well as knowing if the pain level has increased/decreased, and also a current LOC update.

As far as your partner having his mobile device stuck to his ear 24/7, if it does not interfere with patient care and company policy in any manner, then just consider yourself fortunate that he isn't talking YOUR ear off. Make sure he isn't driving and doing it, however. Emergency Vehicle Operations is no place for distracted driving. Does your company have a cell phone policy? If so, is your partner following it?

Take a deep breath, count to 10 in Swahili, and consider yourself fortunate that you're at least working with another EMT. Some services out there often partner an EMT with only a driver.

<<Check.
Not terrible, not really helpful though, either.

But to the OP, maybe you'd like that. You always take the lead on pt there. Drivers drive and load and help where they can and the rest is your call.