My partner is a moron.

OP
OP
R

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
ummmm no, sorry buddy, not required in New Jersey before anything is done.. Medical control is required to be contacted on all ALS patients, but that also doesn't mean the receiving hospital gets a notification.

and M/C is supposed to be contacted AFTER your standing orders are followed, not before. if your ALS are doing it before, than it's an agency requirement, not a dept of health requirement. or maybe your medics need their hands held more than other ALS providers in the state, i don't know.

we only give notifications on sick patients (traumas, sick patients with no ALS, anything where we need a bed waiting for us when we get there).

and considering I have hear horror stories about crews waiting 20 mins to 4 hours to get a bed in the ER, I am assuming that all these notifications for non-sick patients don't really do anything important.

which is probably the second thing you should have done in the first place ehhh, probably. doesn't mean I don't call the charge nurse while on my way there, especially since it makes her life easier so she can figure out where I am going hey newbie, i know this might shock you, but EVERYTHING is a potential liability. listening to the SNF, using L&S, not administering oxygen, not getting enough sleep before the shift, not writing clear enough, not charting good enough, not getting to the SNF fast enough, driving too fast to get to the SNF, it's all POTENTIALLY a liability. And, not calling for ALS for the patient, along with a helicopter to transfer them to a trauma center is definitely a potential liability. But potential liability and actual liability are completely different things.
and that was the first thing you should have done.

Right, thanks for calling me a newbie. I assume you've never been one.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Right, thanks for calling me a newbie. I assume you've never been one.

You're new, what else are you supposed to be called?

Sasha

Forum Chief
And don't mind Sasha... she is just being her usual rude self.

Only to people who refuse to listen and think they know everything.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Right, thanks for calling me a newbie.
you are new, aren't you? it would be a fitting title.
I assume you've never been one.
on the contrary I have been the new guy before. however, I have also been open to listen to more experienced people who do know the answers to my questions, even if they don't say it in a way that holds your hand or protects your feelings.

Sasha

Forum Chief
they don't say it in a way that holds your hand or protects your feelings.

Welcome to the world of medicine.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If you want to do this job and do it well, you need to make sure you're enough of a grown up not to get bothered when someone calls you a newbie. Since you're new I'll just call you an FNG. That better?

DFW333

Forum Probie
The hospital was already notified as per the assisted living home. That was the destination on our pager as well as the patient's paperwork. the hospital KNEW we were going there. But to call them for it and add more pressure on himself by hustling me *he was the driver*.

Ive learned never trust a nursing home when they say they've called a report. Not that they are lazy, but if someone needs to go out for an "emergency" the nurses sometimes freak out with the huge workload that has suddenly fallen on them. They have notifications to make (family, doctor, the administrators etc), papers to get in order, and 36 other patients to care for at the same time. A little phone call is likely to be forgotten.

Besides, even if they do call, they just say "we're sending you X." They don't give an ETA on when that patient will arrive. It is not only a courtesy to the hospital for YOU to give an ETA, but also a huge courtesy to your patient. Cause if you show up and the hospital doesnt know you're coming, guess where that back pain patient is going to be for 30 more minutes while a room is prepared? On your stretcher.

Hockey

Quackers
We had one call where we went to an assisted living home to answer a call about a woman with "back pain." We arrive, she'ss with her son, lying supine on the bed, complaining of back pain. After I interviewed the nurse, there was no suspicion of foul play, and I went back to see my partner and the pt.

What is this foul play you speak of? Are you trying to be a cop?

Horatio-Caine-glasses-csi-miami-8005349-200-130.jpg

Are you fcuking kidding me? He ETA'd us for back pain??? She didn't say the pain radiated anywhere else so I wasn't suspecting myocardial infarction or anything serious that would require us to call it in to her hospital.

Just FYI, get out of that mindset. Females (generally) present with strange signs when they have an AMI. And that is one of them.

And you should always look in your protocols on calling the hospital. The hospital should always at least be contacted prior to arrival with a brief heads up. Plus you don't know if the hospital is on diversion or not everytime

Last edited by a moderator:

DanielLarson

Forum Probie
To me it just sounds like you don't fully understand your own feelings. At least not enough to compartmentalize which is a valuable trait to any level EMS provider. You don't like your partner, great, you have a personality conflict/clash with him, but you should leave it at that. It sounds, to me, like you're letting your personal distaste for him spill over into work and looking for reasons to call him incompetent. If you've been working your first job for just a few months and he's worked for 2 prior companies I don't really think you're on a platform to make such a distinction.

Don't take this as a stab or insult, but it sounds like you need to mature a little before working FT as IFT and a GOOD bit of maturing to do if you plan on moving to 911. If you truly wanted to 'solve' the issue you would do something more proactive like take him to the side before or after a shift and calmly tell him in a non-confrontational manner and resolve it rather than complain about it on a thread looking for consolidation of others. The strength of your intent to insult him as a person and as an EMT when anyone has posted their opinions (that you asked for) that oppose your own make it seem you merely want to complain about it rather than try to fix it.

It's called diversity and you will never have a single job in EMS without it somewhere along the line so I'd suggest you get use to it and learn how to manage it properly. I'd suggest trying to actually to HIM and perhaps ask if you could just drive for a while.