Medical school graduate....

OP
OP
T

titans

Forum Ride Along
EMT007 is right...i DO NOT HAVE A MEDICAL LICENSE yet. I passed the USMLE steps 1, 2ck, 2cs. I havent even registered for the USMLE step 3, which is required by every state to get a medical license. When I start my internship, I will recieve a training license from whatever hospital I'm at in June/July 09 and then take step3 a few months into my internship. Right now I have nothing.

It is also sad in the case of a young doctor who has free time to see where the inner workings, including protocols and reimbursement come from, with a doctor's point of view but does not take advantage of that. I'm sure as an observer the physicians in the ED and EMS would only make him work as hard as he wants. But, what a great opportunity that could make an impression on him for the future! He has already seen what happens on the ambulance from previous experience. Why not take it to the next level? The next 3 - 7 years of his life, depending on his chosen residency, may not again afford him such an opportunity.

Some programs do offer EMS research opportunities, but thats not what I want to do. Just because I was involved with EMS before medical school doesn't mean I want to/have to go into emergency medicine as a career. I plan on going into internal medicine and then doing a fellowship in pulmonary/critical care or endocrinology.

And im pretty sure by going to school for an extra 4 years to pursue my interest was taking it to the next level...my loans have DEFINATELY reached the next level

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll just go to the local EMS crew and ask them what I can do/what they need me to do...i'll keep you posted.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
To get back on topic... Depending on how long your EMT's been lapsed, some states have ways to reactivate a recently expired EMT, while you might have to go through start to finish again.

I know plenty of folks who were working as EMT's and medics while going through MD/DO, RN and PA school.... they kept their EMS certs up (and some still do) and worked/volunteered as their schedule permitted. They enjoyed doing 911 EMS, even with the BS that it entails.

I'm not sure of your financial situation, but if you are in a place where you'd like to find a part-time (or full-time) job for a few months while you wait for July, then getting involved might not be a bad idea. I know how crazy I get when I sit around the house and do nothing.

Another thing to consider is taking a job as a tech in a local ED... you'll be seeing about the same BS, and you'll be doing a lot of scut work, but you'll also be interacting with physicians, and seeing more longer-term treatment, not just the 45 minutes we are with the patient.

I guess I really urge you to look at your real goals and time commitments, and I encourage you to spend time with your family/friends now - because lord knows you won't have lots of time once you start your residency.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
EMT007 is right...i DO NOT HAVE A MEDICAL LICENSE yet. I passed the USMLE steps 1, 2ck, 2cs. I havent even registered for the USMLE step 3, which is required by every state to get a medical license. When I start my internship, I will recieve a training license from whatever hospital I'm at in June/July 09 and then take step3 a few months into my internship. Right now I have nothing.

Some programs do offer EMS research opportunities, but thats not what I want to do. Just because I was involved with EMS before medical school doesn't mean I want to/have to go into emergency medicine as a career. I plan on going into internal medicine and then doing a fellowship in pulmonary/critical care or endocrinology.

And im pretty sure by going to school for an extra 4 years to pursue my interest was taking it to the next level...my loans have DEFINATELY reached the next level

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll just go to the local EMS crew and ask them what I can do/what they need me to do...i'll keep you posted.

My best friend's a medic, cop, FF... essentiually his is 911. Anyway, while he awaits to take Step 1 and so on, he's working part time on an ALS truck. Why volunteer? You could challenge the NR, get the patch back, get a part time job, stop getting bored so much, and maybe even take some of the edge off of school expenses.

mperkel

Forum Probie
I just love all the criticism of him saying he wants to work as an EMT for fun while awaiting his residency. I personally find EMT work very enjoyable and while at college, I missed my "summer job". I actually started a job at college working as an EMT for that very reason. To me, EMT is not my career. I plan on going on to Medical School, but it doesn't mean I don't respect EMT's that see it as a career. When I work as an EMT, I enjoy what I am doing, and often find it makes me a better EMT for it. When I hear my friends complain about their jobs at Starbucks and retail, I'm glad I pursued my EMT certification, and am able to make money while doing something I enjoy.

For Titan, congratulations on your accomplishments, wish you luck for your residency, hopefully I will be were you are in about 6 years. Go find out from your state EMT if their allow you to test for EMT-B or even EMT-P without redoing a course because of your experience in medical school and previous EMT work.
I would definitely consider the same option if I had time after medical school. Let me know how it works for you so I can look back on it in a few years down the line.