Medical school graduate....

titans

Forum Ride Along
Hi,

I worked as an EMT-B before I went to medical school. I graduated from medical school this past summer and would like to get involved with EMS again. I am currently in the process of applying for residency so I have time off until July before I start my internship. What are my options as far as getting involved with the local EMS. My EMT certification has expired. Im currently in Texas. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks for reading!!

rmellish

Forum Captain
A number of states, (Indiana for one) will allow an MD to simply challenge the tests without being forced to retake the courses.

The same may be true for paramedic in some areas with valid ACLS, PALS, etc, I really can't speak to that.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Contact an ED physician and/or the medical director of a busy EMS system and set up a shadowing for the next few weeks. You may even get some ride time out of it. You will be functioning as a physician in the future and not as a first-aider.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
get involved as in work to achieve higher standards, write protocols, train new emts etc or get involved as in go back to 3am three floor carry downs for the acute left toe pain x 37 weeks?

if its the latter, bravo sir for being dedicated enough to street work to get an md and still hump ambulance calls. on a related note, when was your last cat scan?

OP
OP
T

titans

Forum Ride Along
Contact an ED physician and/or the medical director of a busy EMS system and set up a shadowing for the next few weeks. You may even get some ride time out of it. You will be functioning as a physician in the future and not as a first-aider.

I dont really want to 'shadow' an ED physician...I've already done 2 months of emergency medicine during medical school and 1 month of trauma surgery...not that I know EVERYTHING, but i feel i know the basics and enough to help out...i just wanted to go out into the field 3-4 times a week to not only learn a few things, but to maintain clinical skills...and too have a little fun too...

My local EMS allows for volunteering, but what would I be allowed to do without any kind of certification?...Im up to date with my ACLS/PALS

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I graduated from medical school this past summer and would like to get involved with EMS again.

Congratulations on your accomplishments to date, and I wish you well in your residency. That said, please use your experiences in EMS to educate your peers regarding EMS and why we do what we do in the field, that we're not all physician wanna-be's, and we don't do this job just to have an opportunity to run traffic lights and drive fast. You have an chance to influence our future physicians; remember all us folks out here in the trenches when you're the medical director of a regional trauma center in twenty years or so; best of luck! In the meantime, I'd use the chance to get some sleep, and lots if it. You're gonna need it in the months/years ahead!

Last edited by a moderator:

NJN

The Young One
I don't know about Texas, but I believe most states still require MDs to at least have their basic cert for volly BLSing. This is what i was told by a MD who rides volly in a local squad.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i think you'll be imensely bored on a truck doing street calls. you're training is so far above and beyond what you would be capable of doing it would be mind numbing.

that being said, i know of a service in ma where the medical director(a former paramedic himself) does in fact ride out on calls. not to practice mind you, but to "observe the clinical activity of the field staff"(read spy on the dog faces and try to bag them stupid stuff). he has no current emt certification(that i know of, nor that he has eve spoken of regardless of the multiple times he;s said "former"paramedic), since his md trumps all. in ma, there must be two people certified at whatever level the truck is(or in the case of a waiver, a mixed crew is allowed). once that requirment is met, you can add anybody you like. students, another basic, a nurse etc.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I dont really want to 'shadow' an ED physician...I've already done 2 months of emergency medicine during medical school and 1 month of trauma surgery...not that I know EVERYTHING, but i feel i know the basics and enough to help out...i just wanted to go out into the field 3-4 times a week to not only learn a few things, but to maintain clinical skills...and too have a little fun too...

My local EMS allows for volunteering, but what would I be allowed to do without any kind of certification?...Im up to date with my ACLS/PALS

You can help EMTs of all levels by understanding what medical directors and ED physicians think or why they grant or limit protocols. Your above statement sounds like you are still functioning at a Basic level rather than the advanced medical professional you have just spent 8 years in college to obtain an education for. The "have fun" part makes you sound like you were more of a whacker than someone who took the profession seriously when you were in it.

You honestly don't think the doctor you would be shadowing won't let you take a BP or assist in log rolling a patient? What EMT skills are you wanting to learn that you didn't already practice prior to med school? You need patient contact at many different levels with an explanation of care from someone who is now considered your professional peer with your new initials of M.D. behind your name. Step up to the plate and start your new career.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Your above statement sounds like you are still functioning at a Basic level rather than the advanced medical professional you have just spent 8 years in college to obtain an education for. The "have fun" part makes you sound like you were more of a whacker than someone who took the profession seriously when you were in it..
You don't have an MD. chill out.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Are you then a licensed physician? If so, do you really want to expose your malpractice as well for a non-paying job? Remember, you are a physician at all times and never will be considered an EMT. Sure you may have the initial but the M.D. will be sought out first and foremost.

A few months residency or internship in a ER and surgery; just means you passed through to get signed off. This does not impress ER docs and definitely not Surgeons.. you still have no focused residency time.

As others stated, ride along and discussion with working Medical Directors may interest you. Otherwise, your expertise in the field as an EMT would be non-valuable.

Good luck!
R/r 911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
You don't have an MD. chill out.

Having an M.D./D.O. means nothing to me. I don't care if they have M.D, MPH, PhD, etc.. Unless they want to assume total care and responsibility for the patient then get the hell out of my way!.... In fact our regulations does not allow any interference with any other physician than the medical director on line.

R/r 911

OP
OP
T

titans

Forum Ride Along
You can help EMTs of all levels by understanding what medical directors and ED physicians think or why they grant or limit protocols. Your above statement sounds like you are still functioning at a Basic level rather than the advanced medical professional you have just spent 8 years in college to obtain an education for. The "have fun" part makes you sound like you were more of a whacker than someone who took the profession seriously when you were in it.

You honestly don't think the doctor you would be shadowing won't let you take a BP or assist in log rolling a patient? What EMT skills are you wanting to learn that you didn't already practice prior to med school? You need patient contact at many different levels with an explanation of care from someone who is now considered your professional peer with your new initials of M.D. behind your name. Step up to the plate and start your new career.

My career doesnt start until july 1, 2009, so I have time off until then. I can either 'hangout' (ive been to every single UT home football game this fall for the first time since 2001) and play video games 7 days a week until then or do something related to my profession, something im interested in and help out the local EMS guys at the same time.

Im not looking to jump start my medical training, I will get plenty of it during my 3+ years of residency. I basically just wanted to know what i can do until July with my current experience/education....i'll look into 'challenging the EMT' requirements

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
im sorry, how is that relevant to the discussion?

Certain people have an attitude when dealing with other people that don't act they way they think.

lecturing someone who graduated medical school because he is acting too basic wanting to beinvolved in EMS while waiting to do an internship is out of line. It irrelevant if you train them to some extent.

rmellish

Forum Captain
I'm not a big fan of where this is heading.....

So, I'll submit that we have one EMT who part times at my 911 service who is currently in medical school, and another who is currently enrolled in a residency program who pick up shifts every now and again.

Both began working during their undergrad years though.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Having an M.D./D.O. means nothing to me. I don't care if they have M.D, MPH, PhD, etc.. Unless they want to assume total care and responsibility for the patient then get the hell out of my way!.... In fact our regulations does not allow any interference with any other physician than the medical director on line.

R/r 911

It may mean nothing to you but you and Vent have no authority to be lecturing other people with such arrogant attitudes . This website has nothing to your regulations. The two of you need to lose the attitude. If the gradute of an MD program wants to volunteer on an ambulance, there wrong with him for wanting to do this. he isn't being "too basic". I have no interest in condensending attitudes. Leave your egos at the door please.

rmellish

Forum Captain
Whatever happened to the concept of criticizing in private? This adds nothing to the discussion and points the thread in the wrong direction.