Look, its the ride along!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerd13

Forum Lieutenant
Like everybody else has a sad a great determinant of how the day is going to go is obvious in the first 5 minutes of the student's arrival. If you show up clean, dressed appropriately and are immediately respectful we're going to have a good day. If you have an attitude and look terrible then you've already ruined your own day.

I like students who want to learn. This is probably because I like to teach. If you are a little overeager I can work with that because at least you're showing me you want to be here and aren't just here because someone told you that you had to be. Students aren't always easy to work with though. Even when they're the most well meaning they kind of throw off your roll a little. You have to adjust your day and remember to be keeping track of someone. I've played both sides of this game and I know that's an awkward position for students to be in too. As much as I like having students there are a few people who hate having them. This isn't conducive to learning for the student and so most walk away from those experiences with poor opinions. I just try and treat them the way I want to be treated as a student and we usually get along fine.

Also if you're showing me you have some idea what's going on I'm going to be more willing to let you get involved with the pt care. This is your chance to learn and your actions will determine entirely how the day goes and the experiences you get to have.

Niccigsu

Forum Crew Member
In my AEMT class we are required to wear ems pants, polo shirts that we had to special order and boots. I thought this was the same across the board but apparently not.

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
Were required to wear dark blue slacks or EMS pants, a white polo with our school logo black boots and a black belt. Ive noticed that it varies from crew to crew on how you will be treated. If you find a crew you mesh well with try to stick with em. The more they get to know you and what you can do the more they will let you do. When I started to redo my basic I requested the same medic I had ridden with before. He was comfortable with me and lets me tech some of the calls myself and just sits there giving me nudges here and there if I get stuck.

Last edited by a moderator:

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Just out of curiosity, what should we wear? I start clinicals at the end of the month so I figured I'd ask.

Edit: I figure my instructor will cover this since we have a clinical orientation class type thing coming up as well, so it's not that big a deal.

It really depends on your school and area. All of our EMT-B students are required to wear black pants, polo shirts, belts and boots. Paramedics differ as most are affiliated with a service and usually wear their duty clothing. If we ride with another service for clinicals it is up to that service.

Archymomma

Forum Crew Member
We have students cycling through our service during the spring and fall. Basically, we prefer students who show up on time, are wearing the proper attire, and are willing to learn. Be honest about your skill level. We are a very busy 911 service that covers most of our County. If a student is going to show up for shift change (7am) be on time, come out to the bay while we check the trucks - heck I'll give you a check sheet and you can do a run through so you get to know what & where things are on the trucks. Ask questions! Like has been said before, if you sit around in a corner you will be ignored. Don't ever lie to us, if you can't get a pulse, BP, or whatever then just say so. Most of our Medics & EMTs are helpful and want students to learn...if they put in the effort.

tylerp1

Forum Crew Member
I agree with everything everybody else has been saying. Having most recently been a student and having precepted other Basics while I was working as one, I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly on both sides of the fence..

..and with my paramedic program, if you were sent home from a facility for any reason, you were subsequently terminated from the program..:ph34r:

bigdogems

Forum Lieutenant
First off I think all services that get students should have to have preceptors that are approved by the program. This helps to ensure that the people getting students actually want to teach. I've worked in systems that did this and it seemed much better for the students than systems that just throw students with whatever medic is on.

The general start of us getting a student is introducing myself and asking what level they are. If they haven't been with our service before they get a tour of the truck and station. I will explain to the student that they are free to operate to their skill level and they don't need to ask to do something. If it is wrong or they are about to harm the pt I will stop them. With that being said.... I have had a huge amount of students that wont do a thing unless told to. Ive even had several paramedic students when asked if they want the intubation they say no... WTF?!?! When I was a student I would have been all over doing advanced skills

Oh and a general rule. Do what the crew is doing. If they're cleaning, clean. Checking the truck, be with them. You want to be one of the team. While its not against any rules. If the crew is doing station duties and your sleeping on the couch it doesn't look good

firemedic0227

Forum Lieutenant
Being tomorrow as my last Ride-a-long and today was my last day of Paramedic Class, I was asked on Monday by the Paramedics I am riding with if I was actually going to show up tomorrow, I replied "yes because I signed up for it and I am still wanting to learn more." I feel as if a lot of people get lazy towards the end and stop going and calling in if they aren't going to be there is pure laziness.

This being said I really enjoyed all of my ride times and the Paramedics that were my preceptors. I didn't have a crappy preceptor that thought less of me and made me feel like crap, but that is partly because I showed up in the right uniform always clean shaved and willing to learn and step up especially during my Team Leads. I love being the "Medic" that wants to call in Pt. Reports on the radio and give the oral report to the receiving facility. I have a lot to learn because I have ZERO experience at either the EMT-B or the Paramedic level besides what I got in both classes.

Here is my Advice for new students doing first ride alongs and or clinical times. Show up before you are supposed to be there, in the right uniform, willing to ask questions, and or help out doing Rig/Equipment checks. I always asked if they needed help with anything every day as soon as I walked into the stations. Keep an open mind don't get frustrated and if you do ask questions. Remember your preceptors are there to help you become a good paramedic but you have to take the Initiative and listen to your preceptors. Know your limits at what you are comfortable with and let the Medics know what those are before hand.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I have a question that I think is relative to this thread.

All the paramedic students here talk about their preceptors. Is it common to have a different preceptor consistently?

In my program we get to rank our choices for our preceptor depending on your class ranking. They take our requests into consideration but we are ultimately paired by personality and learning style with our preceptor. We do our entire internship with the same preceptor unless it really isn't working, then you are reassigned. If you are extended your preceptor will change to a new one for the allotted extension.

Do you find it difficult having different preceptors when it comes to their comfort level with you and your abilities? Many preceptors here allow the medic student to run the truck. All they do is observe, perform a skill if it's delegated to them on scene and step in to take over if something is going wrong or the intern is doing something to endanger themselves, the crew or the patient.

medicnick83

Forum Lieutenant
Hey I'm Jenny and 17 ,I took my EMT-B class a couple months ago and did a couple of ride alongs which was quite interesting actually. Saw some buddies on their ride alongs too and of course shared our what-nots about the EMTs we were assigned to :p. So I'm curious, what do you guys think about ride alongs when they come to you, like your judgment about them?

I enjoy having RA's with... I enjoy teaching them.

To other guys in the service for longer, they love having FEMALE RA's with... gives them a chance to flirt and show off. :rolleyes:

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

All the paramedic students here talk about their preceptors. Is it common to have a different preceptor consistently?

In my program we get to rank our choices for our preceptor depending on your class ranking. They take our requests into consideration but we are ultimately paired by personality and learning style with our preceptor. We do our entire internship with the same preceptor unless it really isn't working, then you are reassigned. If you are extended your preceptor will change to a new one for the allotted extension.

Do you find it difficult having different preceptors when it comes to their comfort level with you and your abilities? Many preceptors here allow the medic student to run the truck. All they do is observe, perform a skill if it's delegated to them on scene and step in to take over if something is going wrong or the intern is doing something to endanger themselves, the crew or the patient.

Eh, I had a couple different preceptors because when an FTO would get injured they would send me to them to be a third rider...kind of a crappy way to do it, but all my preceptors were pretty awesome and let me run the show.

However, I'm going to stick with the thought that I had multiple preceptors because they wanted to spread my awesomeness around.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I like ride alongs but, I do have my bug-a-boos

Be interested
Be professional
Help clean
Don't be a wall flower, do the assesement and treatment to your capabilities
And Learn!

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Ugh. I have an EMT student tonight. Wearing a fire department t shirt, jeans and sneakers. I asked him what they told him to wear, he said "this.". Also very disinterested in doing a truck/equipment check. Much more interested in watching UFC in our dayroom. I'll be sending an email to his instructor.

It was people like that who made me start carrying around our student dismissal forms (the medical director I worked for also oversaw most of the local training programs and the couple he didn't were overseen by a coworker). That kid wouldn't have made it out of the station before he was done with his stint in EMS. It's a shame you can't do the same.

OP
OP
jenskiez

jenskiez

Forum Ride Along
I enjoy having RA's with... I enjoy teaching them.

To other guys in the service for longer, they love having FEMALE RA's with... gives them a chance to flirt and show off. :rolleyes:

Haha yea thats how they were with me, but atleast they were fun to be with.they didnt make me feel left out.:p

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain

Ive never had the same preceptor twice. The surrounding counties dictate how the preceptorships work. We send our instructor the dates we are available to ride and then he works out the schedule with one of the participating counties. The preceptor doesnt know who is coming and we dont know who we are going to get. There are so many students cycling through that it would be impossible to schedule ride time with the same medic unit.

I dont find it to be much of a problem, although ive had really great experiences, and terrible ones. Its just luck of the draw. Of course i prefer to be as hands on as can be, but i understand if a medic doesnt want a student to run the call. Most of them are great and are happy to help. Every now and then you get hooked up with a medic unit that is on their final stretch of a busy 36 hour shift. Im not expecting those guys to bend over backwards to educate me.

feldy

Forum Captain
My service has a volunteer program where people can go through an orientation, then are allowed to do ride alongs. However, they all have to be fully trained and licensed EMTs/ Paramedics and have the same scope as the employee at that level has (except driving and paperwork). Then they are given an evaluation at the end. They dont have any contracts with programs that offer clincal hrs.

While nothing is really expected of the volunteers, if you are on the truck, most people would expect you to help out (or at least offer to). Occasionally there will be medical students that are there just to observe but they mostly ride with the sprint car with an MD.

OP
OP
jenskiez

jenskiez

Forum Ride Along
My service has a volunteer program where people can go through an orientation, then are allowed to do ride alongs. However, they all have to be fully trained and licensed EMTs/ Paramedics and have the same scope as the employee at that level has (except driving and paperwork). Then they are given an evaluation at the end. They dont have any contracts with programs that offer clincal hrs.

While nothing is really expected of the volunteers, if you are on the truck, most people would expect you to help out (or at least offer to). Occasionally there will be medical students that are there just to observe but they mostly ride with the sprint car with an MD.

Are there any exceptions to have to being licensed? Im waitimg to become 18 to take the NREMT and Im fully trained.

feldy

Forum Captain
Are there any exceptions to have to being licensed? Im waitimg to become 18 to take the NREMT and Im fully trained.[/QUOTE

Each agency (whether municipal or private) has their own rules, you would have to call the supervisors office to find out.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Just out of curiosity, what should we wear? I start clinicals at the end of the month so I figured I'd ask.

Edit: I figure my instructor will cover this since we have a clinical orientation class type thing coming up as well, so it's not that big a deal.

This is me back in my student days...yes, we actually had a hospital bed in the classroom. Uniform supplied by the college, maroon shirt for EMT interns and red for the paramedic interns. Dark blue BDU's and our own black boots:

studying.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.