Long board or no long board...the new "evidence"

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
This article was posted in a LinkedIn EMS group I belong to and thought I'd share it here. As a brand-new EMT-B I'm always wondering how much of what I learned from the textbook is still scientifically -- and practically -- relevant or applicable anymore. Something as simple as the use of a long-board and a C-collar are now being questioned as to whether they do more harm than good.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/EmergencyMedicine/EmergencyMedicine/49133

Cheers,
M.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Backboards have been questioned for years if they actually harm instead of help. It's nothing new.

EMTinCT

Forum Crew Member
My state has removed the use of longboard unless you need it to help you move the patient. If there is a suspected spinal injury + symptomology then you ONLY use a c-collar and secure them to the stretcher.

The protocol is attached.

Any state or service that still routinely uses the longboard for spinal immobilization is doing a massive disservice and possible harm.

Attachments

• 2014_10_ct_spinal_motion_restriction.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 392
OP
OP
E

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
Wait... this is the first you've heard of it?

Yes, it IS the first I've heard of it. I'm brand new to the EMS field and wasn't aware there was an ongoing debate over the use of long-boards. Locally, it seems Rural Metro and others appear to use long-boards for nearly everything, so it was good for me to see a perspective against such practices. It's also a good rookie education article.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
If you're serious about this career field then you might want to spend ALOT more of your time reading EMS news, keeping on top of new and relevant studies, medical equipment and scopes of practise etc.

As you've probably seen most people on here are constantly and continually learning and doing more courses- it helps keep the mind fresh and a modern perspective on procedures.

Personally there hasn't been one year in the past 14 years where I haven't completed some form of qualification/training. As a medic the onus is on you to keep abreast of these sort of things

OP
OP
E

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not sure why people are giving me so much attitude with this post. By "I'm new to EMS" I mean seriously new -- 2 weeks. The idea of continuing education and spending time reading EMS news and research goes without saying. I post one thing that I found interesting and suddenly I'm a twit? Give me a break.

Last edited by a moderator:

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
lol....can't take a bit of constructive criticism eh

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

DieselBolus

Forum Crew Member
If you revert to name calling in response to that, you're gonna have a very hard time in this field. There are lots of egos and lots of pride in progressive practices, and you will get shot down if you're not entirely up to date. It happens. Nobody means any malice.

Take the constructive criticism in stride and don't **** in someone else's sandbox.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief

EMTinCT

Forum Crew Member
I'm not sure why people are giving me so much f-ing attitude with this post. By "I'm new to EMS" I mean seriously new -- 2 weeks. The idea of continuing education and spending time reading EMS news and research goes without saying. I post one thing that I found interesting and suddenly I'm a twit? Give me a break.

They ought to be more collegial. Sorry you're getting roughed up a bit. The idea is good: keep up with the discussion, journals, etc. Ignore those who are burned out. Keep up the good work.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah, that's exactly it you prick.

Take a deep breath! you will not make it in the field if you do not understand sarcasm. Sarcasm is was DEmedic was doing. Welcome to life in EMS, we will give you crap, but you do need to have a thicker skin, cause if you cant handle this, than you will Not last in the field.

Now onto the backboard, your EMT program should have discussed this with you. It is nothing new to the field. Sorry your program did not inform you of these changes with back boarding. We all understand that you are "NEW TO EMS." Honestly we do understand that, but this has been something that has been in debate for years and years and years. Australia and parts of Europe and (Dont quote me) But I believe Canada have been doing this for many years now. Two years ago, the United States started realizing that we over board and protocols have changed here also.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Now onto the backboard, your EMT program should have discussed this with you. It is nothing new to the field. Sorry your program did not inform you of these changes with back boarding. We all understand that you are "NEW TO EMS." Honestly we do understand that, but this has been something that has been in debate for years and years and years.

Well, that may be. But it's a bit rich to blame him for a reactionary training program. Particularly when, despite our best efforts, it's probably still the norm rather than the exception.

As cool and worldly as we all are, let's respond to people trying to educate themselves by helping them do it, not by saying, "Why don't you already know it all? EMS is such a trainwreck!" That doesn't really contribute to the solution.

JPINFV

Gadfly
There's nothing wrong with not knowing the areas of debate or the cutting edge as a new provider. Schools should be teaching what the current standards are (which are always subject to change) and introducing the areas of debate. Once you have a firm understanding of both the science underlying the field (and often where that science is lacking) and what the standards are, then you can start to learn about the areas of contention.

New grads can't be expected to debate on the same level as those of us who have been around the block a few times.

Reactions: drl

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'm not sure why people are giving me so much f-ing attitude with this post. By "I'm new to EMS" I mean seriously new -- 2 weeks. The idea of continuing education and spending time reading EMS news and research goes without saying. I post one thing that I found interesting and suddenly I'm a twit? Give me a break.
I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but I have not seen anyone post on this thread with "attitude". All of the posters have simply stated and were informing you that your research article is not new.

Now I will be an [something] and say if you have to resort to name calling on the forum then someone needs a time out. It's not middle school anymore.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I think some of these responses have been needlessly sarcastic. OP : This will not be the last time more experienced providers act this way. It may ease your transition to search the forum for similar threads before you post. I am glad you are taking an interest in the changing nature of prehosptial care. Best of luck.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
It's not too late for santa to take you off of his nice list, children.

Backboards suck for what they were intended for. They're good at other stuff...like using one as a sled.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes, it IS the first I've heard of it. I'm brand new to the EMS field and wasn't aware there was an ongoing debate over the use of long-boards. Locally, it seems Rural Metro and others appear to use long-boards for nearly everything, so it was good for me to see a perspective against such practices. It's also a good rookie education article.

please look at this thread, it will give you links to 90% of your questions

http://emtlife.com/threads/new-questions-the-emtlife-abstracts-service.11715/