Long board or no long board...the new "evidence"

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
In case anyone has forgotten, EMTLife rule number is "Be Polite." Personal attacks have been removed, and words formatted in such away to not trip the censor (also a violation) have also been removed.

The average poster here could probably be classified as one of two sorts: A) A provider who has been around a bit and wants to improve their practice/state of EMS and B) someone new to EMS.

Invariably, such a discourse may result in some accidentally heated discussions. Please try and keep them civil.

Steve Whitehead

Forum Ride Along
Sorry that you got your feelings stepped on OP. With your current level of experience and knowledge I would strongly recommend that you avoid EMS forums and comment streams for a while. I applaud your efforts to use the internet to broaden your knowledge. Understand that forums and comment streams are the bathroom wall of EMS. Anything can get thrown up here. You're going to find thoughtful, well educated opinions and your going to find ego-driven false sages who talk as if they are the source of all EMS knowledge. (They are not.) You're also going to find some complete trash. Right now it's going to be hard for you to discern the difference. The time will come when you're ready to contribute. For now, read and learn. Occasionally ask. When the time comes that your knowledge or experience lends itself to something worth contributing, you will know.

Joey DeMartino

Forum Crew Member
Well wasn't that a bit spicy? Backboards, oxygen (now considered a med), darts, NG Tubes (older guys remember these?), KEDs', the HLR (another blast from the past), CPR, tourniquets, clotting agents and on and on are tools subject to change. At times radical changes that I have seen debated since the early eighties have drifted in and out of the conversation/argument. The key here is to realize that as we become more technologically advanced, more intel is gathered and obtained, in our understanding of "how" we may be doing extra harm by improperly mandating/using the of various "questionable" tools and procedures of our trade. Backboards have a definite place (yes- EMT11KDL- a sled is one, also a table when my saw needs service) but just as a Bic pen being used for a dart (please DO NOT DO THIS!-that was sarcasm) they do have valuable uses but always err on the side of your safety and patient care. If my partner has an injury and I need to get him to an LZ or evac spot and Smokey the friggin' Bear magically shows up with a backboard- I'm using it. If all we have are branches and Nomex shirts I'm sure as heck not going to worry about tearing up our issued gear to get him off the line and into the bird. Common sense and expedient patient should guide you in all we endeavor and which tool is the BEST to use in a given situation.

RHEMT406

Forum Crew Member
I'm not sure why people are giving me so much attitude with this post. By "I'm new to EMS" I mean seriously new -- 2 weeks. The idea of continuing education and spending time reading EMS news and research goes without saying. I post one thing that I found interesting and suddenly I'm a twit? Give me a break.
Don't worry, everybody seems the need to put their expertise and two cents into everything. A lot of people crave being better than others.