Interesting interview question popped up today... Remove one piece of equipment

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Key word, "almost". I'd rather have it around when I need it for those cases where we have a car fall on someone in a garage or something similar that doesn't get put through by dispatch. I've walked into exactly that situation without the benefit of an extrication team.

Not hardly. If it's a pin, we call them out and they take care of it. We just stabilize as necessary.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Two to four minutes to get them out versus 10 minutes to call for the rescue unit and then four or five for them to get the person out. Which do you think is better for someone with a car sitting on their chest and/or abdomen? We're not talking a "pin job" here. This is a simple basic car fallen off it's jack call. Let me put it another way: Would you wait on the fire department to roll a refrigerator off of someone?

BTW, I'm saying this as someone who oversaw EMS and rescue operations for a volunteer fire department so do not take this as being "anti-fire/rescue" like someone accused me of being in a PM I just received.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Bite stick, classic

http://quickmedical.com/images/sku/9709.jpg
9709.jpg

Classically never used because trismus would already have set in, and if it went in past the thickest part, it could slide down the airway. Also people would pad a wooden tongue depressor with gauze.

MRE

Forum Captain
Haha, that's funny. Perhaps you guys ARE required to carry a spare tire? I probably wouldn't feel comfortable changing a tire on the rig anyway...

Nope, they let us drop the spare tire because we don't do long interfacility transports, just local runs to the hospital. The reasoning is that it would be faster and better for the patient to be transferred to a second ambulance than having the crew trying to change the tire and continuing on.

Lug wrench and jack are still on the required list though.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Pulling someone from under a car that has fallen off it's jack while they were working on it is not that involved of an extrication. We're not talking cutting someone out of a car or rolling an overturned car off of them.
Yes, but I have no idea how to do it safely and without it accidently falling on me too. I would assume he'll need to be C-spined and I'd rather wait for the Rescue to move the car and secure it before I go under it to cspine.

Ditto to the fridge. We run a 3 man sometimes 4 man crew so we might be able to get it, but if not, we'll call for manpower.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
CPR pocket mask can be a replacement BVM mask

Fittings are compatible

Sasha

Forum Chief
The radio.. It keeps interrupting my naps.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Why the bite stick? Takes up nill room, and can be used as a nifty finger split.

I say the crap load of SAM splints. Love em, but there's only so many appendages you'll need to split before you arrive to the hospital. We can fit a small TV back there!

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Yeah, the most useless item on the truck is the CPR board. If you're doing CPR, you're going to need to be able to move the pt if it is decided to transport. Then the CPR board is just in the way.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Ah! Another one! Yeah, we carry at least one adult and one peds BVM in our bag and three adult, two peds, and two infant ones in the rig. The mask is a little pointless.
I don't think we have pocket masks on our rigs.

But yes, the fittings are compatible.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
I just went through my rig and I would have to say the X-Small Gloves.

our rig carries X-Small up to X-Large Gloves. And the X-Small box has never been opened but it is still in the rig and we continue to buy them even tho we never have used any of them!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Latex free kit when everything on the ambulance is already latex free.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

Pudge40

Forum Lieutenant
I would say activated charcoal as getting anybody to drink enough and keep it down is pretty much impossible anyway.

Momof7

Forum Probie
Lemon sticks, yeah I would get rid of the lemon sticks. Not sure how long they have been in there. YUCK

Momof7

Forum Probie
Oh I have one. Teddy bears and OB kits in our B rig. Thats the rig we use for the nursing home runs.^_^