Interesting interview question popped up today... Remove one piece of equipment

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Nope. These both are used to retain heat in a newborn. Thought that was still a basic skill.

Basics aren't allowed to touch anything younger then 16 and older then 35. I thought this was paramedic knowledge? :p

Sasha

Forum Chief
Nope. These both are used to retain heat in a newborn. Thought that was still a basic skill.

It is, and its specially packaged as "foil baby bunting" Not "Reynolds Wrap"

medic417

The Truth Provider
It is, and its specially packaged as "foil baby bunting" Not "Reynolds Wrap"

Actually Reynolds wrap and Saran wrap work just fine. No need for that expensive space blanket.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Actually Reynolds wrap and Saran wrap work just fine. No need for that expensive space blanket.

What is the liability behind using non medical grade house hold items for medical care?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Gives a new meaning to "bun in the oven". Get it? A baby in cooking material?!

Awe, why do I even try?

medic417

The Truth Provider
What is the liability behind using non medical grade house hold items for medical care?

Actually they are mentioned in NRP courses so would be considered standard of care. Of course they take up more space than than a space blanket.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
is there something wrong with regular blankets for warming?

And also why do we not vacuum splints? Besides the fact that they are expensive, they work great from what I hear and can be better than backboards.

reaper

Working Bum

Is that whole 99 cents, going to bankrupt us? Space blankets are one of the best and cheapest tools we have!;)

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
is there something wrong with regular blankets for warming?

And also why do we not vacuum splints? Besides the fact that they are expensive, they work great from what I hear and can be better than backboards.

Vacuum splints don't work well in cold weather. Because during the winter in the northeast [only place I've worked] since you go to extreme temperatures. In side the houses, ambulance, and ER it is warm, while outside is sub-arctic. So if you inflate the splint in the cold, when it gets into a warmer temp it will expand and tighten cutting off circulation. If it is inflated in a warm temp area, when it goes into the cold it well deflate a little becoming too loose and no longer splinting properly.

I wonder if it works well in the warmer parts of the nation. [ie San Diego]

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd throw out the second stretcher (we carry a Ferno or a Stryker AND a York) and replace it with a proper bench seat.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I wonder if it works well in the warmer parts of the nation.

Of course, we don't have this thing called "Winter" :p

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
Of course, we don't have this thing called "Winter" :p

Growing up and living in the North East, when I went to Florida in January, the days in Florida were still humid and hot. Which was of course coming from the sub-arctic of the NE. but at night the temp dropped to the 60's. While I was wearing a light jacket/sweatshirt others were bundled for the ice age. I thought it was kind of funny. But alas, digress, the reason I asked if it worked in the warmer parts, like FLA, was because almost every building has their air conditioning turned way up.

so does that cause enough of a change to cause problems with the splints?

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Get rid of, bite stick. I don't even think we are supposed to use them anymore, but we carry one.

Keep, gloves. I am not very fond of touching patients without gloves.

Add, Glucometer. I don't know why the hell we can't check BGL levels as that can be an important indicator for altered loc. In PA they describe EMT-Bs as non invasive life support, so I see why it wasn't in there. But now we can administer epi pens, so glucometer seems reasonable.

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
Get rid of, bite stick. I don't even think we are supposed to use them anymore, but we carry one.

Add, Glucometer. I don't know why the hell we can't check BGL levels as that can be an important indicator for altered loc. In PA they describe EMT-Bs as non invasive life support, so I see why it wasn't in there. But now we can administer epi pens, so glucometer seems reasonable.

I am not going to start an argument of what should basics do or invasive or non-invasive.

But with altered mental status, glucose level is helpful. But since a Basic can only administer oral glucose only. oral glucose is not going to drastically change any BGL if it is already high. So if the Pt can swallow safely on their own, then give them the oral (except in a head injury). So if you know the BGL is low/high, how will/can that change your treatment. I am also assuming that if ALS was not dispatched with you for the "Altered Mental Status" call, then you would call for ALS and play "catch me if you can" with them.

Sasha

Forum Chief
A coworker of mine used a bite stick yesterday, she used it to apply oral glucose to the inside of the patients cheek in place of a tongue depressor.. don't know why they didn't use D50 or glucagon, but it turns out it did have a use.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
True I think oral glucose has a very limited window of use, but if you find an unresponsive person and can say hey bgl is 30. You have a pretty good idea why they are unresposive. So yeah they aren't really helpful in treatment at the basic level, but helpful in dx. But I don't want to get the thread off topic. So if there are a lot of comments about this post I'd be happy to open a dedicated thread for it so we don't derail the original topic.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Part of my job is to interview candidates two to three times. Our process to be hired is a lengthy one (the minimum is one to two months, some has awaited as long as a year the The first interview is just an introduction, but still I pay attention and make notes of what was said, the second is during the FTO/Supv board interview then the final is with the Director and myself.

The Director and I, ask some personal questions that we want to know about the person, not just so much about EMS. We are hiring a person; not just a medic. One of the questions that the director ask is .." If you had a guaranteed financial securities (as in never have to work again); where and what would you be doing now?....

It is pretty interesting to see the replies. There is no wrong or right answer; but you can find out a lot about a person in the replies. The other question I ask is; what is your favorite .. Trauma or Cardiac? ...Why? One can see the eagerness of adrenaline or the want of having an in-depth knowledge. Again, no right or wrong answer; but those questions can open questions about themselves and the character they may possess.

R/r 911

reaper

Working Bum
Part of my job is to interview candidates two to three times. Our process to be hired is a lengthy one (the minimum is one to two months, some has awaited as long as a year the The first interview is just an introduction, but still I pay attention and make notes of what was said, the second is during the FTO/Supv board interview then the final is with the Director and myself.

The Director and I, ask some personal questions that we want to know about the person, not just so much about EMS. We are hiring a person; not just a medic. One of the questions that the director ask is .." If you had a guaranteed financial securities (as in never have to work again); where and what would you be doing now?....
It is pretty interesting to see the replies. There is no wrong or right answer; but you can find out a lot about a person in the replies. The other question I ask is; what is your favorite .. Trauma or Cardiac? ...Why? One can see the eagerness of adrenaline or the want of having an in-depth knowledge. Again, no right or wrong answer; but those questions can open questions about themselves and the character they may possess.

R/r 911

I would be the sunblock lotion man on a nude beach somewhere!;)

Pudge40

Forum Lieutenant

No in PA we can not administer an epi pen, we can only assist the patient with the use of an epi pen. Just the same with nitro we can not give them the nitro we can only assit them in taking it only after checking the 5 rights.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Vacuum splints don't work well in cold weather. Because during the winter in the northeast [only place I've worked] since you go to extreme temperatures. In side the houses, ambulance, and ER it is warm, while outside is sub-arctic. So if you inflate the splint in the cold, when it gets into a warmer temp it will expand and tighten cutting off circulation. If it is inflated in a warm temp area, when it goes into the cold it well deflate a little becoming too loose and no longer splinting properly.

I wonder if it works well in the warmer parts of the nation. [ie San Diego]

Wait a sec... When you use a vacuum splint, you are actually taking all of the air out, so there is very little air left in there to begin with. Even so, with that little bit left, it will not significantly cause the vacuum splint to become less rigid and there is no way (at least that I can see) that it will cut off circulation. Are you sure you've been deflating your vacuum splints ALL the way?

I'd throw out the second stretcher (we carry a Ferno or a Stryker AND a York) and replace it with a proper bench seat.

Agreed! I don't know why you would carry a second stretcher. How often do you even use the bench seat for a patient?