NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
9ahu7uny.jpg

Oops.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Just saw that on local news. Somewhere in Southern DE, sometime today.

Anjel

Forum Angel

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
hatched battened, Monmouth County coast, New Jersey, Both ambualances fueled, dive rescue filled and preped. Both Jetskis fueled on the hitch, generators in place, food purchased. Ready to rock and roll.

EMAC activated, Strike Teams from Indiana and Tennessee enroute to the Garden State

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Working tomorrow. Generator fueled and cords stretched to the sump pumps, freezer and wireless router (priorities, right?). Chain saws checked and ready. Soup on the stove, house clean.

Kids are going to Grandma's while we're working, so if the power's out when we get home, we are going to have a terrific day of read-alouds, soup and baked yumminess in the dutch oven on Tuesday.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Working tomorrow. Generator fueled and cords stretched to the sump pumps, freezer and wireless router (priorities, right?). Chain saws checked and ready. Soup on the stove, house clean.

Kids are going to Grandma's while we're working, so if the power's out when we get home, we are going to have a terrific day of read-alouds, soup and baked yumminess in the dutch oven on Tuesday.

If the power is out, cable will likely be out because they run on the same poles just underneath them. Unless your cable is underground.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
If the power is out, cable will likely be out because they run on the same poles just underneath them. Unless your cable is underground.

We get our TV through the phone lines, over the internet. Most of the time it stays on. Very rarely do the landlines go out.

We do take the opportunity to go low tech at these times, though. If it lasts less than 2-3 days, it's a really pleasant diversion.

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
My thoughts are with you all at this time!
Between the storm and the large earthquakes up there, you guys/gals in the States and Canada are getting a bit of a roasting from Mother Nature at the moment.:sad:

Take care!
Enjoynz(Joy)

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
my county is on standby for two teams to deploy, i didnt get my paperwork in in on time this year to get my DRT badge, damn.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Y'all see to your wetsuits, waders and rope bags, going to be using them. Remember to pack dry thick socks in your GO bag and extra pocket chow.

(I know, I know, "Yes, MotherMycrofft"). ;)

DavidM

Forum Probie
Sitting on the coast in CT, we just brought crews in to staff all 3 units 24/7 until after this passes. Mandatory evacuations are already in effect for most of the town. I spent my afternoon filling sandbags and deploying generators to get the shelter ready. The public schools just closed until Wednesday. Lets hope this whole thing passes without too much issue.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We are supposed to have our first wave be in Ohio at 5am. Coming from beautiful SoCal.

d0nk3yk0n9

Forum Crew Member
Anybody know of good ways to get involved and help out or of places that are looking for EMT volunteers to help? I don't think my agency is doing anything beyond our immediate location (Ithaca, NY). I'm definitely interested in helping out where it's needed, I just have no idea how to since I've never been involved with anything like this before.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Whats the best way to become involved with a DRT team? Are they regional or company specific? Also level of training wise, is it only ALS folks? I'll be an AEMT in the coming months and would love to get attached to a team. (i'm up in vermont during the school year)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For my DRT it's company based. It's ALS and BLS. our mechanics are also on the DRT.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Whats the best way to become involved with a DRT team? Are they regional or company specific? Also level of training wise, is it only ALS folks? I'll be an AEMT in the coming months and would love to get attached to a team. (i'm up in vermont during the school year)

The DRT we have been talking about is an evil empire thing. They have the FEMA ambulance contract.

EDIT: I'm in PA visiting friends right now, so I'm in the path but not getting paid DRT wages lol. I'm hoping for a second wave deployment when I get home

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Anybody know of good ways to get involved and help out or of places that are looking for EMT volunteers to help? I don't think my agency is doing anything beyond our immediate location (Ithaca, NY). I'm definitely interested in helping out where it's needed, I just have no idea how to since I've never been involved with anything like this before.
Honestly - There isn't anything to do at this point. The folks that are being sent are being sent with agencies that have agreements in place to provide coverage, as well as being credentialed ahead of time, etc.

If you want to do this in the future, and you don't have an EMS agency that will send you as part of a strike team, you can always volunteer with the Red Cross or other agencies.

"The" DRT is an AMR thing. http://www.amr.net/Disaster-Response-Team.aspx
They hold the FEMA contract, and sub-contract some other agencies to work under them. There are also various local and state level EMS task forces.

There's some "ugly" to the DRT. Deployments are spotty, yet when the do happen, you have to drop EVERYTHING to take it. You might be gone 2-3 weeks. Sure, the pay's good - but your full-time boss might not be cool with it (assuming you don't work FT for the agency that's sending you).

Achilles

Forum Moron

Join a cert team