Has anyone polled EMS about the following?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
1. Average age of coworkers? (Better yet, graph it by age and numbers).
2. Are you divorced?
3. Do you use recreational chemicals, or use caffeine or other legal chemicals for pharmaceutic effect daily?
4. How often a week do you wake up feeling as though you are not rested?

And, finally,

5. Do you find you are begining to relate more to Nicholas Cage ("Bringing Out The Dead") than "Johnny and Roy" ("EMERGENCY!").

Have a happy new year!!;)

Laur68EMT

Forum Crew Member
2. Are you divorced?
3. Do you use recreational chemicals, or use caffeine or other legal chemicals for pharmaceutic effect daily?

And, finally,

5. Do you find you are begining to relate more to Nicholas Cage ("Bringing Out The Dead") than "Johnny and Roy" ("EMERGENCY!").

1) 40 (and still get ID'd) :lol:
2) Nope!
3) Does coffee count? No, not every day.
4) That's a Mom related question, not an EMS question. lol
5) Johnny and Roy all the way.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Lucky you!

...................;)

tydek07

Forum Captain
1. Well, I am 19
2. Haven't been married.
3. CAFFEINE :wacko: ,if I don't get my coffee you had better watch out!
4. Every day, use to it.
5. I don't know who I relate to, I am special :D

2. Are you divorced?

And, finally,

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I am 31
Haven't been married but I working on the divorce as we speak.
Don't drink coffee but have to have my diet coke.
I make it a point to get good sleep. Can't function without.
I have never seen the old show emergency. Bringing out the Dead was written about medics I know in real life so I sort of associate with the real guys more than the movie portrayal.

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
1) I'm 37, a bit older than most of the people at my station. Average age there is late 20's, early 30's.
2) was married and divorced once prior to entering into EMS. Married now.
3) I haven't had a beer in 20 years, much less any recreational pharmeceuticals --though there's times where, perhaps, smoking a big ol' fattie seems like a real good idea, I'll admit-- but I am a caffiene junkie.
4) Sleep. Yes. Great idea. What's it like, again?
5) see tagline.

Later!

--Coop

Buzz

Forum Captain
1) 20ish.
2) Negative.
3) Negative.
4) once every other week, and about 5 times on the alternating week.
5) Nicholas Cage. I've actually had one of those moments where everything was streaking by me in a way very reminiscent of the movie, so I pulled over and had my partner drive.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm 53 and haven't been asked for ID since the gray hair came in.

I was divorced in my mid 20's. Been with my second husband for over 20 years. We moved in together in 1983, Married in 1987.

I used to enjoy an assortment of recreational, mood altering substances. But at my age have found that anything more than an occaisional glass of wine has long lasting negative effects that far outweigh the momentary pleasure.

I agree with the Mom comment. Since having kids, sleep has become a fond memory. My kids have both grown and gone but I still get up several times a night and can't remember my last full night's sleep.

None of the above... maybe.. Jugs from Mother Jugs and Speed????
Wow.. what a dearth of female film role models for EMS

pumper12fireman

Forum Crew Member
1. I'm 20 and most guys I work with are around my age, or over their 40's.
2. Never married, so no...but with medic school, relationships have been impossible (unless I'm dating someone in EMS0
3. Caffeine all the time, and cigarettes too...
4. On my days off I usually get fully rested, but that's about once a week, if that..
5. Johnny and Roy fo sho..

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
1) currently not employed in the business, but generally i have worked with 20-35 year olds.
2) not married, nor am i in a relationship.
3) im a huge caffine fiend(red bull) and a recovering addict.
4) 7 days.
5) more and more every day.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
1. At 27, I'm generally among the oldest at work. Most of our employees seem to be 19-25.
2. No, but, Every Marriage Suffers. Looks like we're headed that way....
3. 1-3 diet sodas a day, 1-2 triple white mochas if I'm really dragging, nothing else daily, and I have touched recreational chemicals in a while.
4. I wake up less than rested daily.
5. Neither, where's the chicks?

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

The "chicks" were on ER and Third Watch

Although I did enjoy Marjorie Monaghan in "Rescue 77" with Richard Roundtree.

I got out of street EMS after three years, half of which I was on alternate days an active duty USAF firefighter, and the second half I was a returning college student and brand new dad five days a week (I worked Fri PM and night, then Saturday PM and night). The only people I knew who stayed with it outside the FD rented their homes, were divorced or perennially single and trolling, and many drank like fish. I stayed with it other ways and I'm still married after 34 years.

Look around you at your RL cohorts.

fyrdog

Forum Lieutenant
2. Are you divorced?

And, finally,

1. 40
2. Almost done
3. no
4. 8
5.I was everyone in bringing out the dead

suziquzi99

Forum Crew Member
still married 12 1/2 yrs, marriage is actually 100% better with him being ff and me starting ems.
coke zero
mom, work, school, -- sleep isn't currently listed in my itenerary. Rest intervels.
I don't know either of the two

NolaRabbit

Forum Crew Member
1. Average age where I work is probably 30s. Youngest is 23, oldest is over 60, with about 90 employees currently.
2. Never married.
3. I start every shift with either a 16oz Red Bull on ice or a medium coffee. I am in a very grouchy fog until I get my jolt.
4. I work nights - I'm never rested.
5. Nic Cage, of course. I live and work in the most Dysfunctional City in America.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Well I'm 50 and now the oldest at my base. We had a guy who is 52 but he transfered to a 24 hr base and into semi retirement. Next oldest is 39. It's about a 50/50 split between the 20 yos and 30 yos.

Nope. Still married after 28yrs.

Coffee. Gotta have a few cups of java a day. Maybe a beer or a drink in the evening.

I tend to go to bed late and 5AM comes early, so I'm tired. Fortunatly we are not so busy so I can usually slip in a nap or two.

I'm more upbeat than the Cage character. But I am a little jaded on some things.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

I wonder if there is a great divide between civil service EMS and private on these?

My guess is that private will be younger and less stable.
("Hey, mycrofft, we're right here, we can hear you!").
("OOPS, sorry:blush:)

Mongoose

Forum Probie
2. Are you divorced?

And, finally,

1. I'm 21, the average age I would say is 20-25. My current partner is 19.
2. About to be engaged, my relationship has actually grown stronger since joining EMS. She's a strong person.
3. Drink about one to two drinks on my 3-4 day weekends. Smoke occassionally but never while on duty.
4. Every single day.
5. Nicholas Cage. The medics portrayed in BOTD represent several of the EMT's/Medics I work with. Sad really.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
2. Are you divorced?

And, finally,

1. I'm 20 years old. I'm currently the youngest at my company by two months. (though we'll be having an 18 year old soon). Oldest is close to 50 by now. Median age is late 20s to mid 30s.

2. No. Never been married and don't have a girlfriend.

3. Caffeine and nicotine.

4. Every single day.

5. I identify most with Carlos from Third Watch ("Oh, what the hell is this now?")

eric2068

Forum Crew Member
1) Age wise 20-35, mentally preschool, I'm the old fart at 41
2) Yes thank goodness
3) Coffee is food group, along with tobacco
4) Sleep, what is sleep?
5) Johnny and Roy