Handing out condoms while working

Would you be comfortable handing out condoms while at work and is it a good idea.

• Yes I would be comfortable doing so and it is a good idea.

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • No I would not be comfortable doing so but it is a good idea.

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • No I would not hand them out and I think this is not a good idea.

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • My department/organization already has a program like this.

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I have actually heard stories of women carrying condoms in the event they do get sexual assaulted. I suppose they would plea for the assaulter(s) to have a little bit of dignity. Maybe they carry them for something else :)

You're too young to remember this case. Typical Texas logic as applied to just such a situation. Not a proud moment for the lone star state I'm afraid.

The guy did finally get 40 years.

Awesome job on the input guys keep it up :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Achilles

Forum Moron
So a recent post got me thinking about condoms, teen pregnancy, ect. As first line medical providers we come into contact with many people who would benefit from access to condoms but who for whatever reason won't or can't obtain them. Prostitutes, teens, homeless, drug users you name em we deal with them and let's face it everybody has sex and then those babies they have also fall into the category of people we deal with. So a couple of simple questions.

If you were provided with condoms on the truck to hand out as you saw fit would you personally feel comfortable doing so. Furthermore do you think this would be a useful program? Please answer the poll and please comment.

I was alive in '93!

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

If you look at certain places in Africa where they give out free condoms you'll notice no change in pregnancy rates. Educating the population on the risks and dangers involved and why safe sex is important is more effective than just handing out condoms.
Would I feel comfortable? Sure. Do I think it'd change anything? No.

I'm not finding any info regarding pregnancy rates and condom distribution programs in Africa. The primary purpose of these programs in Africa are generally HIV prevention not pregnancy and most of the numbers I see concern HIV not pregnancy. That said the only place I'm seeing someone saying there is no benifit to handing out condoms there is on a site that appears to be an ultra conservative Christian organization. The site doesn't provide any numbers or statistics though. Do you have a source you can post?

Expat

Forum Ride Along
I'm not sure an emergency ambulance is the right place to give them out, I wouldn't want to store and distribute them myself.... However it's a great idea and I can't believe there isn't contraception more widely available in the USA. In Europe free contraception that is easy to obtain is common, mainly as a result of the fight against HIV and AIDS. People without the resources to buy their own can easily obtain condoms from local Dr's, sexual health clincs and places like The Terrance Higgins trust. Also contraception is available to teenagers from their family Dr, without their parents knowledge, which is obviously a polarizing idea!

A major issue in parts of Africa is that contraception is considered a religous sin.

SSwain

Forum Captain
As a side note....why were/are most teen boys embarassed to buy condoms?
I was proud as hell walking up to the pharmacy counter with a box of 36 Trojans. And then telling the clerk, with a smile on my face..."I'll be back next weekend."

Granted that was 25+ years ago....but I would not be ashamed to hand them out now.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
As a side note....why were/are most teen boys embarassed to buy condoms?
I was proud as hell walking up to the pharmacy counter with a box of 36 Trojans. And then telling the clerk, with a smile on my face..."I'll be back next weekend."

Granted that was 25+ years ago....but I would not be ashamed to hand them out now.

As liberal as our world is these days, there's still a stigma on sex. They are afraid of being judged.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Try being a girl and buying condoms, weird.

I don't think it matters which sex you are buying condoms is just extrinsically weird feeling, it shouldn't be, but it is.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Why is the legal age for sex different for either gender in some states.

SSwain

Forum Captain
As liberal as our world is these days, there's still a stigma on sex. They are afraid of being judged.

Just my point....in high school I was HOPING someone would notice me buying them. Meant I was getting some...kind of a badge of honor.:D

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Just my point....in high school I was HOPING someone would notice me buying them. Meant I was getting some...kind of a badge of honor.:D

Yeah I did the same thing once. Hate to break it to you but we weren't fooling anyone. If I hadn't thrown them out I'd probably still have them sitting around.

I grew up in a heavily Hispanic/catholic area. The first time I tried to buy condoms when I was 15 they wouldn't sell them to me. The cashier said she had to ask the pharmacist and the pharmacist said no. This was in about 1990 but I can guarantee there are still places in that town that wouldn't sell them to someone under 18. The thing is with or without those condoms I was still going to have sex so all the pharmacist really did was put me and my partner at risk. I did finally buy them somewhere else just for the record.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Why is the legal age for sex different for either gender in some states.

...because girls aren't supposed to like sex. They're supposed to be pure and innocent, and all that fun stuff.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Try being a girl and buying condoms, weird.

I don't think it matters which sex you are buying condoms is just extrinsically weird feeling, it shouldn't be, but it is.

Amazon.com... $6 for a box of 12 with Amazon Prime (2 day shipping).

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Amazon.com... $6 for a box of 12 with Amazon Prime (2 day shipping).

Condomdepot.com has the best prices plus they always have coupon codes and free shipping.

JPINFV

Gadfly
They aren't all pure and innocent? I think we need an experiment to find out. Any volunteers? :D

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
They aren't all pure and innocent? I think we need an experiment to find out. Any volunteers? :D

I can assure you hun that there are girls out there who are nowhere near pure nor innocent; usually they get grossly intoxicated, covered in vomit and poo and end up in hospital or getting taken advantage of in some way; financially, sexually or emotionally.

Now I am not one of those pure, innocent, uber-religious, starry-eyed all is good with the world puppy dogs and love girls who thinks the world is going to cough up Mr Right and live happily ever after but eh ... overtones of that might bear some truth :D

Achilles

Forum Moron
We should all post pictures of ourselves on the forum.
Ladies first...:cool: