Handing out condoms while working

Would you be comfortable handing out condoms while at work and is it a good idea.

• Yes I would be comfortable doing so and it is a good idea.

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • No I would not be comfortable doing so but it is a good idea.

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • No I would not hand them out and I think this is not a good idea.

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • My department/organization already has a program like this.

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Achilles

Forum Moron
When I used to caddy for someone who was in college, they told me that colleges promote safe sex by distributing condoms (eg. They'll have a bowl of them in the lobby)
This was about eight years ago, I'm sure some still do it.
But the best protector against STD's is abstinence.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
When I used to caddy for someone who was in college, they told me that colleges promote safe sex by distributing condoms (eg. They'll have a bowl of them in the lobby)

Inside our our health center at my community college we have a couple of bowls of them for anyone who wants them.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

At least a bowl in every dorm. Well until someone steals all of them again.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
Not my job, not my problem. I'll help educate people on when to call 911 and how to do CPR, that's it. Stupid people are our business and business is good.

Sublime

LP, RN
I just don't feel this is the job of EMS personnel to do. Perhaps the schools / medicaid offices should do it.

But we are here to provide emergency care and transport to the hospital. I can understand medical teaching to the community that relates to our practice... things like CPR, Intervention in the choking adult / child, anything first aid ect.

But condoms...? I don't think so.

Achilles

Forum Moron
The only reason I would take some "extra" condoms is so I could put them in my BLS CERT Kit. :ph34r:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I remember a big box of them being kept on the Quarterdeck of the ship I was assigned to so everyone could grab a handful as they went on shore leave in a foreign country. Whenever we returned to the states, the box disappeared.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Condoms and birth control are both $3 ea. here as they are Ministry of Health subsidised.

Cheaper than the $15 a box for some rubbers at the supermarket, and less embarrassing at the checkout too! ... unless you use one of those self checkout things which never works.

I do not see a problem with the idea, not sure Paramedics are the most appropriate people to be doing so however.

Achilles

Forum Moron
I have actually heard stories of women carrying condoms in the event they do get sexual assaulted. I suppose they would plea for the assaulter(s) to have a little bit of dignity. Maybe they carry them for something else :)

JPINFV

Gadfly
I have actually heard stories of women carrying condoms in the event they do get sexual assaulted. I suppose they would plea for the assaulter(s) to have a little bit of dignity. Maybe they carry them for something else :)

There's always...

rapex-condom4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Shouldn't the teeth face outward so it inflicts pain going in?

Well, the condom pulls out... and is then attached. Think of it as marking the predator.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
My college had a very... enthusiastic student sexual health organization. Every holiday, we'd get a little packet with a piece of candy, condoms, lube, gloves in fun colors, and a seasonally-appropriate greeting. Condoms were widely available elsewhere, too; candy bowls of the cheap ones and higher-quality ones available at a deep discount.

Stocking every truck with condoms isn't going to be a high-yield intervention. I suspect once most people stuffed their pockets a few times, they'd forget about them entirely. I also agree with the other posters that our patient mix isn't good for this and there's no easy opportunity to counsel people on safe sex in most encounters with EMS.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I believe it has to be surgically removed once it is attached.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I just don't feel this is the job of EMS personnel to do. Perhaps the schools / medicaid offices should do it.

But we are here to provide emergency care and transport to the hospital. I can understand medical teaching to the community that relates to our practice... things like CPR, Intervention in the choking adult / child, anything first aid ect.

But condoms...? I don't think so.

If EMS wants to remain relevant as healthcare evolves we need to move on from the "only in an emergency role." We also need to move away from just taking everyone to the hospital as not all of our patients need the ED. We can still provide emergency prehospital care, but the emphasis on the "prehospital" needs to grow.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Not sure if providing contraception should be part of the core mission of EMS. I can't imagine private services doing this, but I could surely see public- or hospital-based services handing out contraceptives to patients who request them or something of the sort.

Any armchair-lawyers want to weigh in on the liability side?

Sublime

LP, RN
If EMS wants to remain relevant as healthcare evolves we need to move on from the "only in an emergency role." We also need to move away from just taking everyone to the hospital as not all of our patients need the ED. We can still provide emergency prehospital care, but the emphasis on the "prehospital" needs to grow.

Couldn't agree more. Just don't know if sex ed. should really be our department.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Referring people to appropriate services, though, should be part of the core competency of an EMS provider, so it mightn't hurt to have the info available for Planned Parenthood, etc.

Anjel

Forum Angel

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Just FYI as you may already know purchasing condoms is one of the most expensive forms of birth control when people purchase them retail. They are however the only form of birth control that provides any significant protection from STDs which as community health providers I think has a direct tie in with what we do.

But an agency would buy them in bulk and online, which anyone who uses condoms should be doing anyway. I dont bother going to the store anymore, i order online and save at least 50%.

My college had Durex for free for any student in the health center and through the RAs in the dorms. I have no problem with it or doing it