FDNY EMS Candidates

acoustony

Forum Lieutenant
It was when I was taking everything out to of my bag for the QM to check (ironically) to see if I had everything. I did. It was when I was packing everything back in I must forgot it.

By the time I found out, I was home. They tried calling me as I was making my way home, but were unable to get me. I called them back and they were PRETTY chill about it and said come in early to HQ at 9 metrotech and......something will happen ?

(While chill....they were pretty/kind of vague about what's gonna happen)

But yeah that's how it went down. I'm horrified yet anxious.....but also horrified, mostly horrified, completely horrified. Because if my memory serves memory VERY important people are supposed to be at this swear-in.

and I'm about to show my a** to them all. F**k. (I mean granted it's over a hat....but still it's the impression it leaves)

I'll stand out, but this isn't the way I wanted to do it.
Holy moly man, I got reemed for forgetting my belt. Luckily the drill instructor guy said he'll let it pass but next time it's going to be push ups... a lot of push ups. I was a mess that day man from all the running around. I feel like on some level they understand it's a hectic day. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Doc Logical

Forum Crew Member
Holy moly man, I got reemed for forgetting my belt. Luckily the drill instructor guy said he'll let it pass but next time it's going to be push ups... a lot of push ups. I was a mess that day man from all the running around. I feel like on some level they understand it's a hectic day. I'm sure you'll be fine.

I'm hoping. I'm hoping so much. It's like man. Orientation day. Talking about getting off on the wrong foot. Lol.

Doc Logical

Forum Crew Member
It'll be one of those epic stories you pass down lol

See, see. That's the thing. On the one hand. This is kind of awesome on the other....F************ck.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not proud of this in anyway. But I'm gonna make an impression and I'm gonna stand out from the crowd. (We all know not in a good way, obviously. Lol)

But....It'll make a fantastic story....that I'm not proud of....sort of. I'm trying to find positives here.
giphy.gif

centrals

Forum Probie
For everyone who is in the academy or already graduated, is your first day at orientation a provisional or permanent appointment? I ask because I'm trying to see if I'm understanding the late filing qualification for the promotion to fire. The next group of trainees should be able to file late through the department if I'm not mistaken as they'll become eligible after the filing period but before the first day of the test.

So who's gonna ask about the late application lol

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
I'm hoping. I'm hoping so much. It's like man. Orientation day. Talking about getting off on the wrong foot. Lol.

Do yourselves a favor DON'T FORGET ANYTHING !!
Make sure you do a double check of yourselves before leaving your homes.

One guy got written up for dozing off on Orientation day.
and they are strict in uniform attire being on point.
Don't slack nor assume it is all good.
Trust me you will be kissing grass (Push Ups) and Sun gods are no fun either.

Joeyzee

Forum Probie
See, see. That's the thing. On the one hand. This is kind of awesome on the other....F************ck.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not proud of this in anyway. But I'm gonna make an impression and I'm gonna stand out from the crowd. (We all know not in a good way, obviously. Lol)

But....It'll make a fantastic story....that I'm not proud of....sort of. I'm trying to find positives here.
giphy.gif
Are you in night class or morning class?

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
How was parking at the academy? I notice the park in front closes at 9 pm. Did any daytime people park there?

Parking isn't bad at all. Just get there early and you will find a spot easily. I always parked my car next to the tree near the parade field (where you will always be lining up) or at the quartermaster (which is a huge issue or your first few months so I do not advise doing it) If you park outside the base, just remember your car can be towed away ( you have no markings to say who you are) and its not a small walk onto the base to 325.

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain

What are Sun Gods? Lol I only know pushups planks and inch worms

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
Tech couldn't have emphasized it enough. To those going into the Academy, do just about everything your instructors or DIs tell you to do. Don't be THAT GUY who sleeps in class, slacks off, thinks that this is "********" that you need to retake a EMT Original Course (with the words refresher slapped on it) and your state test, because this is 1)something you're being paid to do &2 ) this is something you wanted, so busy your *** to earn it.

The DIs will be strict on you, especially Baker, you will learn that Inch Worms will make you smarter, Push Ups will make you stronger, and Planks make you a better person... Which is basically this, you ****ed up or you're out of shape and he is going to get you into shape, and or discipline you.

Good Luck Guys, I will be seeing a few of you guys this week when I pick up my check before my tour. Time will fly right on by.

centrals

Forum Probie
Word on the street is that there should be an announcement for the whole class Monday.

I started doing research on this. There's even a link on DCAS website outlining the procedure the department has to follow in the event of late applications. Google "dcas personnel service bulletins" and click the 200-3 link.

I called dcas too and they said it's 100% real, so long as you meet at least 1 of the circumstances listed on their site or the notice of examination.

So here's to hoping they tell us Monday.

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
What are Sun Gods? Lol I only know pushups planks and inch worms

Military Sun Gods = PAIN
  • Arms straight out, parallel to the deck. (Standard arm position)
  • Arms out in front of you parallel to the deck.
  • Arms out in front of you at a 45-degree angle.
  • Arms straight above your head.
I prefer 100 straight push ups lol
This was a doozy of a punishment

Harlemkid89

Forum Crew Member

Bro ! Could you give me a quick RUN down on the uniform for orientation !? Just to be sure !

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
Bro ! Could you give me a quick RUN down on the uniform for orientation !? Just to be sure !

Assigned shirt:
Long sleeve light blue shirt, tie and tie clip. work belt (The woven one), work pants, work boots and cover.
(Not sure if you were given a BI jacket yet as it being colder weather, it should state you wear it, or what they said was admissible)
White T shirt ( NO Wife beater ) Black socks.
for you first day at Metro Tech you only take your black duffle bag notebook pen/pencil. lunch, water. and wat ever paper work you were asked to bring.

P.S. Orientation is a long and pretty boring day. STAY AWAKE or you will get written up.

Good luck buddy