FDNY EMS Candidates

irene diakos

Forum Probie
In case you aren't given them at quartermaster they run out of stuff quick
Makes sense. I guess it's a first come first serve kind of thing. I took the earliest time and the earliest day lol tomorrow at 0800 hours woohoo for waking up super early traveling all the way from si lol

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
Awesome thank you so much. But now i was reading the letter I got and it says on first day of class it says to bring dark colored sweatpants or shorts, and a plain white t shirt with shoes and socks for the fitness training. Now why should I bring those if i am being given fitness training clothes?

They always have that request, and Quarter Master runs out of stuff REAL QUICK due to large classes now, Keep a fresh pair of black sweat pants and a white shirt a spare pair of socks and running shoes to always keep in your locker. Accidents happen and it is better to have a spare change of clothes.

irene diakos

Forum Probie
They always have that request, and Quarter Master runs out of stuff REAL QUICK due to large classes now, Keep a fresh pair of black sweat pants and a white shirt a spare pair of socks and running shoes to always keep in your locker. Accidents happen and it is better to have a spare change of clothes.
And the academy is where quarter master is at right? Fort totten? Building 325?

centrals

Forum Probie
So we buy the black duffle bag to make our lives easier on uniform day..and then that's what we use to carry our clothes and books during the academy?

And what's the red bag and when do we use that?

Thanks a lot to all the guys and girls who went through it all and stuck around to guide us

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
Black duffel bag is for you to bring anything you need, to the classroom.

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
Did you guys find out your assignments yet? Which stations you're going to and stuff? I have 7 interns coming to my station

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
So we buy the black duffle bag to make our lives easier on uniform day..and then that's what we use to carry our clothes and books during the academy?

And what's the red bag and when do we use that?

Thanks a lot to all the guys and girls who went through it all and stuck around to guide us

No the black duffle bag is for your books and supplies and when I mean books just wait til you get a load of a certain book you get ( Picture 3 Yellow pages phone books in one binder) Your clothes, Toiletries etc and your PPE gear ( That is what you RED BAG is for) stays in your locker. So make sure you purchase a locker now before the academy.

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
Where is a good place to park ? Is behind quarter master the only spots?

There are three parking lots and probies use only two there, but you can find spots here and there. just make sure you are allowed to park where you are.
And no Quater Master parking lot is for customers.

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
JUST A SUGGESTION:
to all those going in:

Your locker will have a couple of hooks, what I did was bring the extra set of clothes sicks etc and put the in a drawstring bag and hung it up on the hook and I did the same for my PT clothes, you will then have your locker floor clear except for your PPE bag.
Bring a spare hanger and keep on a hook as well.

Harlemkid89

Forum Crew Member
JUST A SUGGESTION:
to all those going in:

Your locker will have a couple of hooks, what I did was bring the extra set of clothes sicks etc and put the in a drawstring bag and hung it up on the hook and I did the same for my PT clothes, you will then have your locker floor clear except for your PPE bag.
Bring a spare hanger and keep on a hook as well.
So on a Daily basis .. What aré We bringing with us to the academy ?

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
So on a Daily basis .. What aré We bringing with us to the academy ?

Yourself in uniform and a black duffle bag with notebook pens/pencil if you bring ;lunch from home put it in there. as I wrote put stuff in drawstring bags and bring a hanger to hang your clothes when you change from PT trust me is saves space and you don't have to carry so much.
P.S.
YOU LEAVE THE RED BAG HOME ON ORIENTATION DAY AT METRO TECH.
YOU BRING IT ON TE FIRST DAY OF THE ACADEMY IN FORT TOTTEN WHERE IT STAYS.

Harlemkid89

Forum Crew Member
Yourself in uniform and a black duffle bag with notebook pens/pencil if you bring ;lunch from home put it in there. as I wrote put stuff in drawstring bags and bring a hanger to hang your clothes when you change from PT trust me is saves space and you don't have to carry so much.
P.S.
YOU LEAVE THE RED BAG HOME ON ORIENTATION DAY AT METRO TECH.
YOU BRING IT ON TE FIRST DAY OF THE ACADEMY IN FORT TOTTEN WHERE IT STAYS.
Gotchu ! That answer helped so much ! Appreciate it !

JZHusky

Forum Crew Member
Hey Tech, I just wanted to say thank you for all of the effort you've been putting out on here to get us noobs on pace with everything. Seriously you've been a big help. I took your advice for paperwork / picture day and dressed formally and was glad I did. So thank you for that!

I had a quick question about gear issuance at QM: what exactly is the BI jacket? I saw your comprehensive post about QM and it said we leave with the BI jacket. What does that look like? Because I'm not sure if I received one. I only have two "coats" to speak of. I'm assuming ones the class A and the other is the rain coat (looks like a trench coat).

Mikef19

Forum Lieutenant
Does your receipt say you were given the BI jacket? It's a jacket you wear to class. Says Fdny on the back (you'll have an emt patch out on underneath that at the end of the academy). It has an inner lining you can remove and wear it during the spring. You're gonna need this as it gets colder for roll call and walking around outside of the class buildings.

Just to reiterate some of the basics. Be on time, actually be early to everything. Next to disrespecting instructors and officers, I'd say lateness is the thing people get destroyed about at the academy. And it's a good habit to get in. Lateness is not tolerated at all when you get to your station.

Get yourself a little shoe polish kit and leave it in your locker. Make sure you know how iron and do so to your uniforms. If you lose **** easily, get your *** back to qm on day one and buy an extra tie clip. Always have your cover. Step lively around the base. Even when you think there's not someone watching, you can bet there is. Also, for your locker, they make little bag things that are locker deodorizers. Never a bad thing to have. That place smells like **** to begin with. Don't be the smelly guy/girl. No one likes the smelly person.

Things you can leave home for the foreseeable future: trench coat, class A uniform and shoes.

Best advice- get yourself into a routine. Get up at the same time everyday. Make sure all your **** is together before walking out the door. Plenty of people will forget stuff, ties, tie clips, covers. There was one person who forgot their bi jacket one day. And it was freezing out. No idea how he pulled that off. But then guess what, everyone else had to ditch their jackets for roll call. I can tell you that in February, at 6:45 am the wind whipping off that bay can make it extremely uncomfortable to be standing outside. And the drill instructors know it.

My best advice for the academy, and the job overall, out of sight, out of mind. Don't be a blip on the radar. Show up on time, dressed correctly, keep your mouth shut, do what's asked and no one will bother you. The academy is a great time, and you'll make some career long friends. Do the right thing, and you'll enjoy it.

acoustony

Forum Lieutenant
Hey Tech, I just wanted to say thank you for all of the effort you've been putting out on here to get us noobs on pace with everything. Seriously you've been a big help. I took your advice for paperwork / picture day and dressed formally and was glad I did. So thank you for that!

I had a quick question about gear issuance at QM: what exactly is the BI jacket? I saw your comprehensive post about QM and it said we leave with the BI jacket. What does that look like? Because I'm not sure if I received one. I only have two "coats" to speak of. I'm assuming ones the class A and the other is the rain coat (looks like a trench coat).
Hey man I didn't receive one of those jackets either. I just have the two that you described. Are you going to just bring your own jacket on Monday? I think on the letter it's says "personal appropriate outer wear".. I'm assuming that's fancy terms for your own jacket yea?