EMS Rules ( The ones you don't learn in school)

jester_1269

Forum Probie
Play nice, people.

knowing my luck, the same bolt that comes down after her will arc back over and get me too...:blush:

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to get some burn dressings, aquafor, and some silvadene ready...

medic417

The Truth Provider

EeyoreEMT

Forum Crew Member
True Humor

Sunday morning around 9 a.m., 911 from the jail, chest pain, ya, I'd have chest pain too if I were in jail. We finished our truck inspection at 7 a.m. all was good, we get about a mile down the road, eta 1 min to scene, smoke rolls out from under hood and into cab. Lose all power. Crap! Call dispatch to send other truck, having mechanical difficulties, wow, what an understatement! I shut both batteries off, I smelled electrical, my partner, also a ff, says to try again. I told him I was concerned about it being under the dash electrical since the smoke was filling the cab. He agreed. No attemp. I pulled the level for the hood, woof, a puff of black smoke spewed out. We don't have turnout gear, just rubber gloves, so we basically did rock, paper, scissors to see who had to unlack the hood, maybe the glove would melt to their hand... who knew. Anything that can go wrong, does go wrong when you work with me. I called boss, he said your parnter is into fitness, have him run back to station and get other squad. Ya, like that went over well, so we're stuck in church traffic, directing traffic in front of Weny's, trying not to get hit, when our ride finally arrives. We throw needed equipment over into vehicle, go to station and switch over before another call.
The squad was taken to the shop finding out-there was an electrical fire that started under the dash near the engine compartment, as it spread it burst the air conditioner line, which in turn put the fire out. He said 99% of these fire end with an explosion. I'm like ok then...... maybe we had good luck!!

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
And the humor is where? Not funny to have a truck go down while on an emergency call.

EeyoreEMT

Forum Crew Member
response

Well, thats not, thankfully it wasn't a real emergency, it was a get out of jail free ride, which we found out later, I guess it wouln't be funny unless you knew that every truck that has something wrong with it, I get stuck with, and I just happens to be that they always break down on my shift. The fire putting itself out I thought was pretty funny ironic humor, because any other time, I would have lost a tire, a pully would have come off, a hose would have broke or the emergency brakes lock up and had to run hot with the brake on. To boot, me and two of the newest guys I trained were the only ones to fully check out our trucks in the morning, mechanically and equipment.

Sasha

Forum Chief
knowing my luck, the same bolt that comes down after her will arc back over and get me too...:blush:

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to get some burn dressings, aquafor, and some silvadene ready...

Didn't you hear me shout clear? :p

Illini_emt

Forum Ride Along
My apologizes Sasha, i did not mean for you or anyone to get offended by the jokes, And just to throw this out there, I am an First year RN student, I cant wait to hear the jokes on my behalf,

What is the saying, if you cant joke about yourself? lol:p;)

Last edited by a moderator:

jester_1269

Forum Probie
Didn't you hear me shout clear? :p

you mean we're not supposed to touch them when they're shocking? hm, so thats what i've been doing wrong. (just got done doing , actually.) ^_^

(and yes, we got him back.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug

Forum Probie
Rule #1: Just because it's 7am doesn't mean your pt. is not drunk.
Addendum: Just because your pt is drunk doesn't mena they're not haveing an MI.
Rule 2#: Be Nosy! The worst things happen to those that are just "Standing around minding my own business"
Rule 3# Do not have 2 drinks. Again the worst things happen to those who have "Just had 2 drinks." Have one or 3 or more...never 2.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Rule 2#: Be Nosy! The worst things happen to those that are just "Standing around minding my own business"
Rule 3# Do not have 2 drinks. Again the worst things happen to those who have "Just had 2 drinks." Have one or 3 or more...never 2.

Hahahaha! That reminds me of a patient I had who was in a bar fight, according to him he was just sitting there minding his own business and having a couple of drinks.

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
3. If you are aforementioned waving gimp. A simple sticking out of hand as if you were hailing a taxi will suffice. Performing actions that make you look like an epileptic mating with a windmill will not expedite our arrival. In fact we may just drive past for the hell of it.

This one was great...I laughed so hard I couldn't talk...I needed that...

ok so I guess I have a few...it appears that the funnier ones seem to have already been taken...

Remember that it is not our emergency.

If you hear someone at the station say "I've seen it all" wait 15 minutes and you will hear "I've never seen that before"

No patient is worth a back injury, call for help.

Anyone who says they never miss a tube is a liar.

Anyone who says they never miss an IV is a liar.

Anyone who recently learned how to start IV's, will miss when then get to start an IV in the field. And will inevitably lose confidence in themselves...remember this EVERYONE MISSES. we all hit a slump and can't hit the broad side of a barn, but end the slump on hardest stick of all time.

They already mentioned the will get a call when : you get your warm food from the microwave or restaurant, when in the bathroom...but they left out when finally get comfortable in bed.

you will enter places where you won't want to lean on the walls (they move) or stand still coz something may run up your pants leg.

EMS= Earn Money Sleeping
EMS=Every Minute Sucks

Patients in real pain are not rolling all over the place screaming.

Patients screaming at the top of their lungs "I can't breath" are breathing quite well.

Backboard are uncomfortable.

Our stretchers were not built for comfort.

I can't seem to think of any more at this time

but LAUGHTER IS STILL THE BEST MEDICINE

Bloom-IUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
- Whoops: 1) the monitor just fell down the stairs, 2) the cold and flu patient just coded, 3) the wrong house. (Hint: the one with the lab probably didn't call 911)

Lmfao! Was wondering if you have a story to tell about that??

Ped101

Forum Crew Member
1. Don't tell your patients "It's probably nothing". They'll almost always have to be rushed into the OR because of some internal damage (proven)

2.If the scene is too quiet, run like hell. There is no such thing as a quiet scene (in all seriousness)

BigBoy

Forum Crew Member
when the pt is bleeding out dont worry about opening a 4x4 by the edge just rip it open...

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
The less English the patient speaks, the more complex her history and CC will be.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
when the pt is bleeding out dont worry about opening a 4x4 by the edge just rip it open...

same goes for needles or syringres. the paper is easy to puncture/tear with whatever is packaged inside.

Second

Forum Lieutenant
same goes for needles or syringres. the paper is easy to puncture/tear with whatever is packaged inside.

I'll have to remember that one, really!

BigBoy

Forum Crew Member

not aloud to do the needle thing but its true.....

another thing

disreguards at two in the morning are good for the pt.. (if you catch my drift)lol