Employment issue...

TheHud85

Forum Ride Along
Ok guys, I really need you on this one.

About a month ago my employment at my EMS service was terminated. I refused to take a non emergency transport from one hospital to another during a severe snowstorm. The first issue that came along is I was never actually given a letter of termination, I was fired via text message. Secondly they are now demanding that I correct all the tripsheets that were filled out incorrectly or had errors over the last 6 months, and they're refusing to pay for my time to do them.

So, do I have any legal grounds or recourse for:

1. Refusing to do a transport when I felt the conditions were too unsafe.
2. Never actually receiving a letter of termination
3. Refusing to complete the run sheets for no compensation

I thank you in advance for your help everyone!

TheHud85

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Why ask us? We are not lawyers.

OP
OP
T

TheHud85

Forum Ride Along
Not really interested in paying a lawyer to ask about this. Thought maybe someone had some knowledge about the subject or had gone through something similar. Just fishing for knowledge.

harryb714

Forum Crew Member

About a month ago my employment at my EMS service was terminated. I refused to take a non emergency transport from one hospital to another during a severe snowstorm. The first issue that came along is I was never actually given a letter of termination, I was fired via text message. Secondly they are now demanding that I correct all the tripsheets that were filled out incorrectly or had errors over the last 6 months, and they're refusing to pay for my time to do them.

TheHud85

Research at-will employment law for your state.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader

From our rules:
No Legal Advice or Attorney-Client Relationship

Information contained on or made available through EMTLife forums is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, recommendations, mediation or counseling of any kind under any circumstance and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Do not act on or rely on any information from EMTLife Message Boards without consulting with a licensed attorney.

Last edited by a moderator:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain

It depends on your state. In an at-will state, you can be fired for almost anything. Google "labor board" + your state's name and do some reading. I would assume that there is no requirement as to how the company fires you, but again, your labor board would have the best answer about that as well.

I don't see how they could compel you to do this. Are they holding a paycheck? Threatening to complain to the state EMS board? Again, check with the labor board, but I highly doubt they have any legal grounds to force you to work for free.

Labor law in the US varies between states so it is really hard to give you any sort of advice other than "check with your state's labor board"

certff99

Forum Probie
this and that

File for unemployment asap, email labor board about if they are holding a pay check, and document in a notebook everything that is happening with date, time, person etc...

If your worried about ems board or what not.... just use the whole unsafe reason you will be fine. No one can state what condition is safe when they are not right next to you. BUT your partner can screw you if he states a different story to them behind close doors. Watcj who you trust!

Last edited by a moderator:

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Telling us what state you are in would help greatly. Check out http://forum.freeadvice.com

Mostlikely they can't refuse to give you your last paycheck. I would file complain with your state department of Labor.

Regarding time sheet, being that you're no longer employeed by the company you're not require to do anything.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief

TheHud85

Would going back to do run sheets after your employment has been terminated create a HIPAA issue? HMMMM...pondering this one. :unsure:

skills82

Forum Crew Member
Would going back to do run sheets after your employment has been terminated create a HIPAA issue? HMMMM...pondering this one. :unsure:

I don't think so since during the employment there was a HIPAA forum that had to be signed. And for the fact that he is bound by the document. But I do believe that it could be a good argument.